Caribou Gear

Wyoming Corner Crossing Defense Fund

Nope because I need to install a wooden fence post to keep my cattle in and the hardware store was running a special on 30 foot posts that week so rather than put in an 8 footer we used 30 footers judge
Even if it’s 28 miles long and all on private property the Judge ordered a fence removed from private lands as it impeded public lands………

”Lawrence constructed a twenty-eight mile fence enclosing over twenty thousand acres of private, state and federal lands in an area of south central Wyoming known as the Red Rim.1 The land in this area is owned in the familiar "checkerboard" pattern as the result of the federal land grant to the Union Pacific Railroad.2 Lawrence has fee title or permission to fence from the title owner of the private sections and has grazing permits on the federal and state sections. The fence enclosed 15 sections, or approximately 9,600 acres of unreserved public domain. However, the fence was constructed entirely on private lands, except where it crosses the common corners of state and federal sections. Finding no reason to distinguish this case from Camfield, we agree with the district court "that this matter was decided by the Supreme Court in 1987 in Camfield v. United States. [Lawrence] cannot maintain a fence which encloses public lands and prevents the lawful purpose of antelope access to their winter feeding range." Bergen, 620 F. Supp. at 1420. https://www.elr.info/sites/default/files/litigation/19.20119.htm

Maybe a "partially completed" corner fence since it would still allow wildlife to pass around it? Still, rich guys don't care.

My guess is Fred leans on the WY legislature before erecting another contraption. In IA at least, state legislators regularly introduce bills after being paid far less than $1000 by an outside actor. The bills sometimes do not benefit a single constituent. The rest of the legislators and the governor can be primed by PAC money. Again at home, legislator votes are regularly purchased for $150-$300 apiece in campaign contributions.

The DIY NR corner-hopper hunter in WY is not high on the priority list among WY resident voters. Our best hope regarding legislative action might be widespread media coverage, as proved helpful in the court cases.

Does anyone else think the Wyo legislature is now going to address the corner crossing issue?
Please chime in Wyo residents.
The question is do the lawmakers respond to the Wyoming general public or the big landowners both resident and non-resident?

I don't see this as a non-resident hunter issue. This is a regular guy/gal especially residents who can have access to the public land and it doesn't have to be just for hunting.

Last edited:
You are alleging felonies, a little independent support might be helpful.

Seems in today's world a $150 crime is a misdemeanor. Although with inflation, maybe the going rate is higher.:cool:

Seriously, most politicians run for office with a set of partisan views. The public that agrees with those views send them money.

A chicken or egg coming first question.

Does anyone else think the Wyo legislature is now going to address the corner crossing issue?
Please chime in Wyo residents.
The question is do the lawmakers respond to the Wyoming general public or the big landowners both resident and non-resident?

I don't see this as a non-resident hunter issue. This is a regular guy/gal especially residents who can have access to the public land and it doesn't have to be just for hunting.
"Trespass" is already the #1 priority for interim study in the Judiciary Committee. You can bet your ass that corner crossing will come up during those proceedings. I would definitely suggest that folks familiarize themselves with the people on that committee and start to get out in front of this now.

"Trespass" is already the #1 priority for interim study in the Judiciary Committee. You can bet your ass that corner crossing will come up during those proceedings. I would definitely suggest that folks familiarize themselves with the people on that committee and start to get out in front of this now.
Any allies in the WY legislature? Any discussion around trying to get a legislator to author a bill that is corner crossing friendly?

You are alleging felonies, a little independent support might be helpful.
I will dig up a few examples and post links. There are no smoking guns, such as a recorded quid pro quo agreement. *Most* politicians are not that foolish. The scenarios are along the lines of legislators with no previous stated position on an issue vote for a bill that does not benefit their constituents, after being courted by the lobbyist and given campaign money by the lobbyist’s special interest group, which is funded by non-residents.

Seriously, most politicians run for office with a set of partisan views. The public that agrees with those views send them money.

A chicken or egg coming first question.
If only.

Federal level politicians adopt platforms that will bring in the most $$$, which increasingly comes from corporations rather than the citizenry. We might all be stuck in a corporaocracy until we manage to unseat the 2-party system.

If only.

Federal level politicians adopt platforms that will bring in the most $$$, which increasingly comes from corporations rather than the citizenry. We might all be stuck in a corporaocracy until we manage to unseat the 2-party system.
My personal experience is their views start as their own. They then add enough local perspective to get elected to early feeder positions (city council, state house). Then they add the official party positions to help build influence within the structure. Some then add “national aspiration” positions. With these “positions” they can typically get plenty of $$ (both left and right). It is exceedingly rare to see a legislator vote in a way that cannot be explained by one of the above. There is no need to pander for $$ because the other side will always match the $$.

Our govt is broken, but not because votes can be bought for $150.

But if that is true, then we can do a go fund page and completely redesign Iowa G&F laws to our liking. 51 Reps + 26 Senators and we have carte blanche for $11,500. Hell it took 6x that to get a not guilty verdict in one WY trespass case.

I always get a kick out of the Catch-22 of legislators saying they're not influenced by donations while accepting them from publicly-traded companies who justify political donations as in the best interest of their shareholders... though they all agree donations apparently have no impact on how the legislators vote.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back