Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming Corner Crossing Defense Fund

Only location a drone may not take off (from the ground) and land are National Park and Wilderness designated areas. Least for recreational drones however, didn't Randy's helo land to drop them off and p/u? (BLM - as is the case for this WY corner).

1648683166609.png

Last edited:
On BLM?

How does the entire hunting industry in Alaska work?

Or heli skiing industry.

or all folks including BigFin who did it?
Might seem strange, but we were required to land on a two track as a condition of our film permit. The BLM imposed the motorized travel restrictions on us for the use of a helicopter as a means of motorized travel. I had provide a map of the landing area, along with screen shots showing historical motorized travel at that location.

Ironically, the allotment holder had driven all over the BLM land, so finding a two-track was not that hard.

Not sure how it applies to the other activities you mention.

Might seem strange, but we were required to land on a two track as a condition of our film permit. The BLM imposed the motorized travel restrictions on us for the use of a helicopter as a means of motorized travel. I had provide a map of the landing area, along with screen shots showing historical motorized travel at that location.

Ironically, the allotment holder had driven all over the BLM land, so finding a two-track was not that hard.

I guess it all depends on the land departments definition on "motorized" and if the land has a policy against motorized off road use.

I guess it all depends on the land departments definition on "motorized" and if the land has a policy against motorized off road use.
I did a lot of research into this a few years back.

The BLM has very few, if any restrictions. The area I was looking into, I was considering either fixed wing or helicopter. The BLM resource administrator told me that if it was helicopter, land where you want. If fixed wing, let them know of where I planned to land and they would send someone out to make sure there was nothing sensitive about the area, even if off an established road. The example he used was a ridgeline or other flat spots.

I inquired about fences too, as I was looking into having someone with horses do a drop camp type deal. But, in a few of the places where there were narrow strips of BLM, there were no gates to get horses through.

He told me, "cut in a gate, those are public fences". Just had to make sure the fence was secure.

Very few restrictions on aircraft on Wyoming State Trust lands as well.

if a drone to carry a person costs less than that of a SxS, I wonder how fast the industry will switch to using them to access hunting areas and how fast the departments will adjust game laws to account for it?
Wyoming's has already been "adjusted".

In regulation, drones are included in the definition of aircraft and we made it legal to use aircraft to transport hunters into landlocked public lands.

Nothing would change in Wyoming if drones were used to transport hunters to landlocked public and State lands.

Wyoming's has already been "adjusted".

In regulation, drones are included in the definition of aircraft and we made it legal to use aircraft to transport hunters into landlocked public lands.

Nothing would change in Wyoming if drones were used to transport hunters to landlocked public and State lands.
but what if a drones become as common on the hunting grounds as a SxS to travel from camp to hunting locations every day? don't you think laws would have to change in that scenario?

but what if a drones become as common on the hunting grounds as a SxS to travel from camp to hunting locations every day? don't you think laws would have to change in that scenario?
No, that's exactly what we addressed and for the first time, its now legal to hunt landlocked state land by aircraft. Prior, under the old rules of the 24 hour wait, you couldnt legally hunt State lands since you would have to spend the night before it was legal to hunt. Its against the law to over-night camp on State lands here.

Now you can land and hunt immediately.

How is it any different getting to a hunting spot landing an airplane, helicopter, or drone versus driving a truck, atv, etc.?

Reactions: JDH

Given that experience maybe ski guides and outfitters have to designate all the spots they might land or something?

Though I wonder if that’s more a product of you asking for a permit/ permission. If you had just hunted and not filmed I assume you could have just landed and it would never have been an issue?

Last edited:
No, that's exactly what we addressed and for the first time, its now legal to hunt landlocked state land by aircraft. Prior, under the old rules of the 24 hour wait, you couldnt legally hunt State lands since you would have to spend the night before it was legal to hunt. Its against the law to over-night camp on State lands here.

Now you can land and hunt immediately.

How is it any different getting to a hunting spot landing an airplane, helicopter, or drone versus driving a truck, atv, etc.?
you are missing the point I'm trying to make.

Right now, SxS and ATV use on public lands is limited and typically restricted to established roads/trails only. A drone, right now, would not be. If hunters start using drones as commonly as they do a SxS or ATV to get around, don't you think laws would have to change? Or do you think its a good idea to be on a stalk and watch some guy flying around on his drone searching for elk and then spot your elk you are stalking and drop in and shoot it?

don't you think laws would have to change in that scenario?
Montana revises laws frequently... just ask Hank. :)

All seriousness, Montana has revised the drone laws a few occasions just in the last five years. I'd imagine other States are apt to do the same, if not already.

First drone for hunting use, turned drone not allowed for hunting, then not to film the specific hunt (unless film license?). It's maintained drones for scouting follow the same as airplanes/helicopters. Sounds, from reading Buzz's comments, one does not need to wait 24 hours any longer in Wyoming - however, for Montana, it's not 24 hours, nor has it ever been. Simply not able to hunt the same day as area scouted.

Right now, SxS and ATV use on public lands is limited and typically restricted to established roads/trails only. A drone, right now, would not be. If hunters start using drones as commonly as they do a SxS or ATV to get around, don't you think laws would have to change? Or do you think its a good idea to be on a stalk and watch some guy flying around on his drone searching for elk and then spot your elk you are stalking and drop in and shoot it?
You can't use aircraft in Wyoming from August 1 -January 31 for spotting or aiding in any way the taking of big and trophy game. They would be ticketed for doing what you're proposing.

We put some thought into the regulation, @JM77 and I worked really closely with the GF to get it right...in fact, Jeff rewrote the regulation IIRC.

A drone with a person on board is not a drone. It's an aircraft, like a helicopter or plane.

I will worry a lot more about some of the shooting technology before I get too worked up about flocks of "drone" riding cowboys schlepping in camps and schlepping out camps and elks.

Seems like this corner-hopping thing could have been decided by now. But everything in the legal season creeps along at a crippled snail's pace. I'm sure those lawyers are working 8-5x5 on this. Yeah.

I know this won't stop you from continuing to argue...and its hard to believe its been damn near 6 years ago that we worked on this...but:

9/6/2016 3:12:58 PM

CHEYENNE - With the evenings getting cooler in Wyoming, many hunters are turning their attention to scouting for the fall hunting seasons. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is reminding hunters that it is illegal to use aircraft to do their scouting or aid in taking game animals from August 1-January 31.

Previously, hunters were only required to wait for a 24-hour period before hunting game animals that had been located with an aircraft. The current regulation, revised earlier this year as a result of considerable public input, now reads: No person shall use any aircraft with the intent to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any game animal from August 1 through January 31 of the following calendar year. Nothing in this Section shall apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner where there is no attempt or intent to locate any game animal, such as aircraft used for the sole purpose of passenger transport.

It should also be noted that the term “aircraft” means any machine or device capable of atmospheric flight. This includes but is not limited to an airplane, helicopter, glider, dirigible or unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV or drone). If you have any questions on this or any other hunting laws or regulations, please contact your local game warden, Game and Fish office or visit the Game and Fish website.

A drone with a person on board is not a drone. It's an aircraft, like a helicopter or plane.

I will worry a lot more about some of the shooting technology before I get too worked up about flocks of "drone" riding cowboys schlepping in camps and schlepping out camps and elks.

Seems like this corner-hopping thing could have been decided by now. But everything in the legal season creeps along at a crippled snail's pace. I'm sure those lawyers are working 8-5x5 on this. Yeah.
Rushing something as important as this would be foolish...and from the feedback I got today, from someone I trust a lot, these lawyers working this case are more than earning their money. And, it was also noted the funds donated by people that stepped up for this case, and more importantly, public access is being used wisely.

Thanks for your concern...

I know this won't stop you from continuing to argue...and its hard to believe its been damn near 6 years ago that we worked on this...but:

9/6/2016 3:12:58 PM

CHEYENNE - With the evenings getting cooler in Wyoming, many hunters are turning their attention to scouting for the fall hunting seasons. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is reminding hunters that it is illegal to use aircraft to do their scouting or aid in taking game animals from August 1-January 31.

Previously, hunters were only required to wait for a 24-hour period before hunting game animals that had been located with an aircraft. The current regulation, revised earlier this year as a result of considerable public input, now reads: No person shall use any aircraft with the intent to spot, locate and aid in the taking of any game animal from August 1 through January 31 of the following calendar year. Nothing in this Section shall apply to the operation of an aircraft in a usual manner where there is no attempt or intent to locate any game animal, such as aircraft used for the sole purpose of passenger transport.

It should also be noted that the term “aircraft” means any machine or device capable of atmospheric flight. This includes but is not limited to an airplane, helicopter, glider, dirigible or unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV or drone). If you have any questions on this or any other hunting laws or regulations, please contact your local game warden, Game and Fish office or visit the Game and Fish website.
no need to argue for wyomings case as you are certainly right that what you have shared is very clear.

Wyoming might be the only state besides AK though where its that spelled out and clear?

Back