Wyoming Corner Crossing Defense Fund

I don’t see this as being much different than a gun company speaking out against more restrictive gun control measures. There are probably many gun owners who actually support more restrictive gun control measures, but they are in the minority. I think this could also be said analogously for folks to hunt public land and their feelings toward corner crossing. Most would prefer a future where it is allowed.

I also just think generally, society is desperate for businesses and groups with a spine.
My original reply may have been misconstrued as I assumed the @Carnage2011 was naming specific businesses, which he did not, and I apologize to him for the assumption.
My point is generally that I feel like it's okay for businesses/nonprofits to sit back and observe. Perhaps more will come out in support of these 4 men, which would be great. It is still early in this process.
We live in such a polarized world where you're 100% with or against something, and I don't feel like it would be the best business decision to put yourself in one camp or the other. Just my 2 cents.
Also, I'm in the same camp as everyone else here, I have my eyes on a pronghorn unit in Southern WY that would drastically change for the better if this works out for the public.

Having donated, I'm curious if anyone knows of a timeline for this trial. Is there and expectation that this will be decided in a week or two, a month or two, or maybe sometime in 2022, if we are lucky?

Operate a first Amendment protest with media coverage... gather a couple hundred people to walk back and forth across the corner... (not it though I'll take pics. :) ) Get some national news on it.
Funny I was just thinking the same thing earlier.

Yes there are some unknowns about the long term success of bringing this to a head...but from my seat the status quo is not getting public land hunters anywhere either. That and I've yet to hear an inspiring long term game plan for making progress on the issue from those hesitant about backing this. I've got room for that, but I've either missed it or it's not out there.

Yes there are some unknowns about the long term success of bringing this to a head...but from my seat the status quo is not getting public land hunters anywhere either. That and I've yet to hear an inspiring long term game plan for making progress on the issue from those hesitant about backing this. I've got room for that, but I've either missed it or it's not out there.
Agreed, win or lose we get to move on.

Probably better for all involved, the status quo is nonsense.

Think they'll cite again if someone decides its a good spot to go call coyotes this winter? 'spose coyotes is a far cry from elk/deer/antelope and aren't generating income for the ranch.

One interesting long term idea I read (on Instagram, I think) was to create a law, or use eminent domain law, to create easements at all landlocked corners. Adjacent landowners would be paid something for the easement(s).

I wish I could keep everyone up to date, but its nearly impossible as things are moving very fast.

All of us involved in this are getting hammered by media, interested parties, offers to help, etc...its really great to see that so many care so much about public access. Also interestingly enough, very little push back from anyone.

We'll all do our best to keep everyone posted as things continue to develop.

Just curious,.. If this criminal case is dismissed/dropped there was mention that the money would go toward future access projects of the BHA. If indeed these criminal cases are dropped would these funds be available to the four gentlemen for their legal council in a civil suit by the landowner? I am hoping so !

There a quote related to that portion @Muskeez ?

To piggyback on @Muskeez comment, I sure hope it's present to aid if civil action takes place and if nothing occurs, placed in a trust for future corner crossing specific criminal cases that would aid public access legal precedence.

I would imagine BHA keeps a clear mind of the repercussions for future funding requests from those who choose not to support BHA as members.

Funds go to AccessYes which is a game dept project that pays landowners for private land access.
Exactly. Any excess funds not used for this case will go to AccessYes. This was stated on the GoFundMe page at the very start of this and has not changed.

For anyone interested, BHA National has started a campaign to address the larger issue nation-wide. If you want to stay in-the-loop, give them your name and email here: https://www.backcountryhunters.org/sportsmen_s_corner_crossing_pledge

Imo The goal needs raised. I am sure money is being left on the table when people log in and see it has been exceeded. This case could cost a lot more than 10k each.
While I would agree... I think that's a double edged sword at this point. It's already 16k past what they asked for. I think people will keep donating knowing it's all going to a good cause even if it's not all used.

There a quote related to that portion @Muskeez ?

To piggyback on @Muskeez comment, I sure hope it's present to aid if civil action takes place and if nothing occurs, placed in a trust for future corner crossing specific criminal cases that would aid public access legal precedence.

I would imagine BHA keeps a clear mind of the repercussions for future funding requests from those who choose not to support BHA as members.
I agree. Strongly. If money is left over I hope BHA will consider reaching out to donors and give them the option of doing that instead of donating it to Access Yes. I doubt that this is the last time this issue will come up.

I want my donation to go to this case and this case alone. Any left over needs to go to AccessYes like stated in the gofundme listing. The last thing I want is BHA or anyone else holding my donation while they decide what to do with it. My donation was not for BHA but for the defense of these 4 public land hunters with any left over going to AccessYes. Donations on future case will be done on a merit basis of my choosing.

I want my donation to go to this case and this case alone. Any left over needs to go to AccessYes like stated in the gofundme listing. The last thing I want is BHA or anyone else holding my donation while they decide what to do with it. My donation was not for BHA but for the defense of these 4 public land hunters with any left over going to AccessYes. Donations on future case will be done on a merit basis of my choosing.
Thanks for your post. I went back to re-read the donation page. We are reading this differently or maybe the same.

From my perspective, this is for the DIRECT funding of "legal representation for these four hunters". Any excess BEYOND the funding of legal representation of these four hunters go to Access Yes. This details legal funding and does not stop or state it is for the criminal aspects only. This is for the legal representation of the four hunters - if hit with civil because of this situation the funding goes to their legal representation.

"This hunting season four hunters, Brad Cape, Phillip Yoemans, John Slowensky and Zach Smith were cited for criminal trespass in Carbon County for corner crossing. They have pleaded "not guilty" and currently this case is pending. Corner crossing is a legal grey area that stems from the public's desire to access their public land by stepping from one corner of public to another. We believe this act does not violate law or cause any negative impacts to private landowners and their use of their property. These four hunters took every precaution to make certain private land was not touched. While hunters have successfully beat the hunting and fishing corner cross trespass, these four hunters are charged with criminal trespass, which hasn't been tried in court. Acquittal of these hunters would set the stage for more access to the public lands we own. It is crucial public land hunters band together to fight for access to cornered public land!

To that end, the Wyoming Chapter of BHA has set up this Gofundme page to help pay for legal representation for these four hunters. Not only do we want to support these hunters we need to prevent a negative legal precedent.

To donate please do so by clicking the link below. Any excess funds to this effort will be donated to Access Yes to help provide more access for hunting and fishing. This case is extremely time sensitive therefore your prompt donation to support this cause would be greatly appreciated. Because the hunters will each need a separate lawyer, we are asking for a minimum donation of $20 please. Thank you!"

Back