Caribou Gear

Wyoming Area 2

wolfriver

Hi my name is Lee I live in WI on the wolfriver some of the best walleye fish around. But here is my problem. The state of Wyoming messed up my antelope tags they gave me my doe tags in area 46 the area I wanted but they gave me my buck tag in area 2. I'm trying to get some leads on places to hunt up there. From the maps it looks like not a lots of publics places. Trying to do this hunt on my own. I'll take any info on that area I can get. I'll be hunting the first week of October. Thanks for the help.

What little state land there is does not have much, if any, legal access to it. The NF really is a place for deer and elk hunting, not antelope. I would really suggest that you bite the bullet and get a list of ranchers from the Hullett C of C or the F&G that will allow access to their private property. You can probably get access for $200 or less and that would be better than eating your tag that cost close to $300!!!

I talked to the local warden and he told me that in this area he has not seen antelope populations this low in 20 years. I guess all I can do is drive out and hope for the best.

Low antelope populations in Wyoming are better than high populations most everywhere else...

I hunt whitetails in that area. I have seen goats (a few) along the highway that leads to Belle Fouche SD. All private land. I have also seen them in the southern part of that unit along the interstate... also all private land. Good luck and sorry about the mess-up with Wyoming. You are a better person then me, as I would be driving to Cheyenne with my application to clear up that mess (or get a refund).

If nothing more it's beautiful contry and visit Devil's Tower.

Note: I have never been in the extreme north east part of that zone.

good luck to all
the dog

If the state of Wyoming messed up your tags and you can't find a suitable place to hunt I would ask for a refund based on their mistake and try again next year.

I tried that but they told me that there is a state law that does not allow for a refund even if it is the states mistake. i talk to every person there and was told the same thing sorry but thank you.. i just hope that this place works out. I'm just not willing to pay 1000 dollars to a outfitter to shoot a antelope. This was to be a relaxing hunt on private land in area 46.

Thanks for all the info. I ordered some land owners maps and hope that the one owners ranch will have some goats. Leaving the 30th can't wait even if all is not the way it was to be.

Even with having to travel all acrossed the state to hunt two different areas. We still fileed all of our tags. All the bucks were from 10 to 13 inches not to bad for never been in the area before. we had to hunt very hard and put in lots of stalks to get them but all turned out good. I ordered land owner maps and did lots of phone calling but it worked out. thank you to all who gave input to me and my hunting buddies.

Back