Wyoming antelope question

duckhunt

I've been doing some research on different units for a antelope hunt. I see we can apply in January so its time to buckle down and make some decisions. We are going in with 3 bonus points. I see unit 38 had 100 percent success in the draw with 3 points. How is the public access in this unit? Looking at the wyoming website it looks pretty good but I would like to hear from someone that has been there. Also if you had 3 points is that a unit that you would choose?

Unit 38 had 100 percent success for all but those with no preference points.

Not sure where you came up with unit 38 has good access, but it doesn't. Its a big area, but not much public land and only a few HMA's/walk in areas.

Honestly, drawing that tag would be a waste of 3 bonus points...if you had 1 point total for your entire party...maybe worth it.

I should say I was looking at blm maps. Having never hunted out west all these maps can be overwhelming. Thanks buzz for letting me know I may be looking at this wrong. Back to the drawing board.

Duck, if you are going to look at BLM maps, be sure to concentrate on the # of BLM pieces that touch a public road. You will probably find that number to be a very low percentage of BLM land, which means the other BLM acres that don't touch a road might as well be private property. Touchy subject, but quite frankly it's public land that the neighboring landowners can only use. I agree with those above, 3 points will get you better units than 38. Best wishes on your search!

And unit 38...a buddy of mine's son didn't even draw a doe tag as a youth in the draw. Since they combined a couple of units together to make the single unit of 38 they didn't add the extra tags from the other units, it would seem. Last year there were many leftover tags in the old unit 38, but this year after they combined the units, everything sold out in the draw.

Same Boat

I am in the same boat. I have 4 points in Wyoming and will be applying this coming January for Antelope. Any help on a good unit would be appreciated. I am new to hunting antelope in Wyoming. I don't know anything about the special draws. Any info would be great. Thanks!

I am in the same boat. I have 4 points in Wyoming and will be applying this coming January for Antelope. Any help on a good unit would be appreciated. I am new to hunting antelope in Wyoming. I don't know anything about the special draws. Any info would be great. Thanks!

The only difference between the regular and special draw is that the special is more expensive and just about always has better draw odds. Not ALWAYS, but dang near. Usually you can pull a tag with 1 or 2 less points in the special draw. I think the special tag is about $250 more expensive.

Do you have ANY idea of where you'd like to apply?

I drew unit 38 last year but my son didn't. Just like Buzz said it is a large unit with public ground and some HMA but I wouldn't say it has good access. We had a great hunt but had to work pretty hard to find some public areas with antelope. I think with 3 points you can get into a lot better units.
I think we determined that we are neighbors if you want to get together we could look at some maps sometime.

Antelope

Yup, oops apps are due in May not January. I really don't know where I want to go, I live in North Dakota and travelling really isn't a problem for me. I just want a area that has really good public access and I wouldn't be wasting my points on a area that I could have drawn with 1 point. When I figure out a couple units I can narrow down to I will start doing a lot of homework on my own. Just really don't know where to start.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Drawing-Odds/2015-Drawing-Odds

Click on the "Nonresident Preference Point" report (or the nonresident special preference point report if you don't mind shelling out the money). In the preference point column, look for units where the draw was 100% for 4 points or <4 points this year, but was 0% with 3 points or less. Go through and make a list of all of those units, which you should be able to draw if tag numbers and applicants stay fairly steady. Then go back and pull the Job Completion Reports for each of those units:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Job-Completion-Reports

This should narrow it down even more. Do some googling and make some calls to the biologists who did the reports, and I bet it doesn't take too long before you have some great choices.

Look to the central and SE corner of the state for the best hunting this year. Mild winter and lots of moisture this spring. Horn growth here looks awesome!!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back