WyoDoug Virgin Spring Turkey Hunt 2021 (NOTE: Read post 34 before you post. I had to ask this thread be locked since it's been derailed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I’m on Doug’s ignore list from giving him crap in the past. Poor guy is carrying on about his turkey hunt and still doesn’t realize the season is closed. Can’t wait to see him post a turkey picture before the season opens.

I was waiting for a pic before I jumped in.

Friendly reminder that if you do see someone hunting out of season there are multiple ways to make a report. Here's what it looks like after you have successfully submitted a report through the G&F website. I had to do it recently...

tip.png

Friendly reminder that if you do see someone hunting out of season there are multiple ways to make a report. Here's what it looks like after you have successfully submitted a report through the G&F website. I had to do it recently...

View attachment 179748
This is good info and something I would do if I witnessed poaching. However, it has nothing to do with my turkey hunt. It would be good post in a separate thread.

View attachment 179748
If that is for this case I think a pm would have been a better approach if not by all means carry on..

For those who jumped the gun and didn't read my previous posts, my venture out was to scout my area for my upcoming Spring Turkey Hunt for which I do have a license and to learn how to use my calls. Spring turkey for the area I am hunting opens April 20 and closes May 31. I planned to hunt an area which is open April 1 but didn't find the right shotgun shells which are out of stock. Read your regs before you jump the gun. If you did read the regs you would know about where I tried to go hunting.

It was kind of funny that I had a human turkey respond to my calls.

Update 4/4: Went out for first hunt of spring turkey season. No sign what so ever in my hunt area. I did see a few on private property. Numbers no where near what I saw antelope season 2020. Did some calling, but I think the gobble I got returned was from a human kinda turkey. Oh well, season is not over yet. Time to contact some locals and get ideas.

I think this may have fueled some concerns.
I can understand that. I should of read it before I posted and specified where I was hunting. The calling I did was to see if I could call any in. With ranchers right there watching me, you can bet I would not do anything dumb. I tried to go hunting earlier in Gillette (Area 3) which is open but didn't see anything on the land I got permission to hunt. My prime hunt area opens April 20th which is where I stopped on way back but nothing but humans returning my calls. But not seeing anything there either so wondering about a winter kill. I did see a bunch of rabbits. They survived the storm we had, but only turkeys I did find was on areas I could not hunt them. My next plan is to call the biologist and ask questions on that.

With regards about me not being perfect in following game laws, that refers to possession limits but anymore I only take what I eat both fish and game. In my younger days I had more in the freezer but never went over my daily limit. But one thing I will never do is engage in poaching.

Good thing I didn't see any on the oil lease I was hunting on. I had 1 inch stubby shells probably only good for clays. Not sure those would of been good enough but all they had at Sportsmans Warehouse. Ammo shortage is bad in Cheyenne. I didn't think they were going to work and never got to load the shot gun as only way those work in mine is to load them single shot in the chamber. After I got back I was sorting my reloading stuff to sell and found two full cases of shells I used for dove hunting in Colorado which is 18 years ago. They should still be good when I go in my prime hunt area in a few weeks and do real hunting.

The way I hunt, I always scout my area, always. I strongly recommend everyone do that. It gives you an idea what the conditions are. Does not matter what you are hunting, unless it's something straight and simple like rabbits or doves which are all over. If I can't get out before season opens, the first few days is scouting though I am usually carrying a bow or rifle in case I ran into something good. So far, turkey is no different. I did not scout the Gillette area first before I went out and put in 7 miles or so walking. I wasted my time there but there was turkeys in the area when I hunted deer a few years ago and my license was good in both area 3 and somewhere in Area 5 where I plan to hunt. In my prime area, I will be hunting April 20th or so, hopefully with a new shot gun I am buying from someone. I saw turkey in both areas last year or I would not be putting in any effort. Scouting pays off and can stop you from wasting time in a cold area that will not be productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back