WyoDoug Virgin Spring Turkey Hunt 2021 (NOTE: Read post 34 before you post. I had to ask this thread be locked since it's been derailed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyoDoug

Going to go ahead and start this thread. I will update as things go a long. The below image is from my hunt area.

wildturkeys.jpg
In this image, not saying where I was yet until I get first crack at shooting it, but these turkeys were feeding January 2021. Looks like 3 toms and rest hens. Man I can't wait. Right by the railroad and highway where they are used to traffic too. Hopefully that works in my favor for the noise factor.

This will be a virgin turkey hunt and probably solo. Doing a spring turkey hunt between April 20th and May 31st. Got several weekends if I don't get beginner's luck on the first wack.

I have done some scouting in the actual area a rancher referred me to and actually used my spotting scope and found turkeys roosting in trees. I didn't go too far in because I did not want to disturb them any more than the ranchers already do.

This is a virgin experience for me so as some have read, I have asked questions of others who have hunted turkeys and watched hours of video related to it. I also have looked at Google Earth and love the habitat I am hunting on: reliable water source, trees close by with dense foliage and good food supply within 100 yards of roosting area.

I plan on scouting again in March and first week of April, mostly parking a distance away and watching them through binos and spotting scope. Here's to turkey hunting and praying for beginners luck!

Last edited:
That should be fun! Have you learned to call? A hen "yelp" and putt will go a long way. I like using mouth call with box call or slate call to get the multiple hens at once effect.

If you can roost a gobble or two as night falls then gets easy. If are not spotting as sun sets then can do an owl hoot or crow caw to try and get a spontaneous gobble in response. A long beard that drags the ground as struts is a few years old and a lot smarter than a gobbler with 3 or 4 inches of beard. I use a pop-up blind since turkeys are very good at spotting movement even if they are facing away from you. If is windy, a big box call will get your hen sounds a bit further. A gobbler can come in silent so keep an eye out even 15 minutes after call. Try to wait 5 or 10 minutes between call sequences. I do some run and gun towards a gobble but mostly set up the blind and call. Again, if roost a gobbler at sunset then odds are can get that gobbler to sound off the next morning before he flies down to the ground.

You are going to have fun, especially if not navigating around a dozen or more other hunters stirring up things. I use a decoy or two but but the old rubber type that are easy to cram into my turkey vest. You can spend $100s on a stuffed real turkey. My brother keeps tail fans from turkeys he shot then crams them into the slot on plastic decoys. Looks a lot better than my decoy set up. A turkey vest with a built in seat cushion is good if plan to run and gun. One last tip, pick up your calls before you hike out of the woods as I have more than once had to hike back to get a call I left next to where last sat that morning. Also, some of my best naps were leaning against a tree mid-morning during spring turkey season. More than once have woken to see a gobbler in my decoys. Doh!! Better to be lucky than good as is often said the early bird gets the worm but I figure it is the second mouse which gets the cheese. Good luck!

That should be fun! Have you learned to call? A hen "yelp" and putt will go a long way. I like using mouth call with box call or slate call to get the multiple hens at once effect.

If you can roost a gobble or two as night falls then gets easy. If are not spotting as sun sets then can do an owl hoot or crow caw to try and get a spontaneous gobble in response. A long beard that drags the ground as struts is a few years old and a lot smarter than a gobbler with 3 or 4 inches of beard. I use a pop-up blind since turkeys are very good at spotting movement even if they are facing away from you. If is windy, a big box call will get your hen sounds a bit further. A gobbler can come in silent so keep an eye out even 15 minutes after call. Try to wait 5 or 10 minutes between call sequences. I do some run and gun towards a gobble but mostly set up the blind and call. Again, if roost a gobbler at sunset then odds are can get that gobbler to sound off the next morning before he flies down to the ground.

You are going to have fun, especially if not navigating around a dozen or more other hunters stirring up things. I use a decoy or two but but the old rubber type that are easy to cram into my turkey vest. You can spend $100s on a stuffed real turkey. My brother keeps tail fans from turkeys he shot then crams them into the slot on plastic decoys. Looks a lot better than my decoy set up. A turkey vest with a built in seat cushion is good if plan to run and gun. One last tip, pick up your calls before you hike out of the woods as I have more than once had to hike back to get a call I left next to where last sat that morning. Also, some of my best naps were leaning against a tree mid-morning during spring turkey season. More than once have woken to see a gobbler in my decoys. Doh!! Better to be lucky than good as is often said the early bird gets the worm but I figure it is the second mouse which gets the cheese. Good luck!
I know nuffin! I see nuffing!! As Sgt Schultz would say. LOL

I have them on order and have been watching the videos. I am going to play with them while scouting on some turkeys that hang closer to the highway than where I will be hunting. I have several types that I ordered and should get here soon. Now let's see how fast I can pick up turkey calling. I also ordered a pair of decoys.

I want to observe them and focus on picking up how they talk to each other and then figure out the right calls to respond.

As for trophies, I plan to keep tail features and the beards. Maybe a few feathers for my cowboy hat.

We have our place set for Spring, too. Very excited. I'm working on making a coat for my decoys, that is made of fabric, but covered in real feathers. I hope I get it up and going by Spring hunt time.

Do not make a putt call that is an alarm call

Correct. Unless need a long neck exposed if have some tall grass to deal with such as CRP plantings. Or, are messing with some Jake gobblers you do not plan to take.

I trim away most of the material from the sides mouth diaphram calls so are more comfortable and prefer the smaller ones. I like the Primo Sonic Dome style. I have trouble with get the mouth call to make a turkey sound rather than a screech, try saying "pluck" sharply.

If find yourself surrounded by a flock of turkeys on the ground they can be very quiet in the spring as they make a few sounds then a few seconds of loud stuff as they scold each other or a hen will tell a gobbler to bugger off. Or if they spot a hawk spring above or a critter on the ground. They mostly scratch at the soil and grass then scurry to a fresh spot to investigate. Maybe dust a bit if there is dry soil. Some feather noise. Gobblers on a roost as the sun is coming up can be very noisy, though.

Hey @WyoDoug, I have enjoyed reading your posts on antelope over the past couple years and some of your comments have been invaluable. So, hopefully I can be of some help to you. If you enjoy reading pick up a copy of Turkey Hunting: A One Mans Game by Kenny Morgan and The Old Pro Turkey Hunter by Gene Nunnery.
These books will absolutely help expedite your success and give you some insight on how tricky and finicky turkeys can be. Also, they are addictive to hunt, especially once you get that first one in the bag. I’ve turkey hunted since I was a boy and they are a wonderful animal to chase. I will be heading to Nebraska in May to try my hand at some merriam’s and as usual I will be using some tactics from those two books. Hope this helps & let us know how the hunt goes!

I have a blind and thought about it, but the area I am considering depending on results of my March scout days buying a gila suit. I am thinking more mobility plus I would rather have my back against a big tree rather than in a blind as I have been shot at before sitting and scoping deer and other birds so I am rather nervous about protecting my behind.

How many have used gila suits turkey hunting before. I did some sniper training in the Marine Corps not as a specialty, just a two week course they offered for people who were interested in the experience so I kinda got an idea how to move with it without being seen, but don't wanna get shot at making turkey calls and some other hunter shoots my direction. So putting a big rock or a big tree against my back for the spring hunt.

Fall hunt will likely be a different story as both deer and antelope season will be in progress so I will use a different strategy there. Question I have is how many hunted with one of these? What do you think of the strategy?

gillasuit.png

I have never used a ghillie, I just wear normal camo. I have used a blind successfully, but I have also had birds shy away from a blind. I like to be mobile and I always set up with a tree at my back. I you aren't making gobbler noises or running around with a tail fan on public land you "shouldn't" have anyone shooting at you.

I have never used a ghillie, I just wear normal camo. I have used a blind successfully, but I have also had birds shy away from a blind. I like to be mobile and I always set up with a tree at my back. I you aren't making gobbler noises or running around with a tail fan on public land you "shouldn't" have anyone shooting at you.
Key word shouldn't. But I have twice once during deer and once during elk both in Colorado. Both were shooting at movement rather than verifying their targets. One got arrested. The one who shot my hat off me when I was 16, I never did see or find. The second incident was in my 40s, an asian guy was shooting at movement and hit a tree near me not more than two feet. I identified him to his camp and called the sheriff and he was arrested. Not sure what charges were. He pled guilty so I never had to go to court. I could hear the crack. Not taking unnecessary chances everyone will follow hunter safety and trying to be proactive and protect myself there.

I think a leafy or ghilli suit doesn't hurt, but I don't find them necessary.
I just use Walmart camo that matches the coloration of where I'm at and sit as still as possible. I have both a leaf suit and ghilli, the ghilli has never been used on a hunt as its too heavy and warm for summer use and too green for winter. The leaf suit is nice for open forest and woodlines.
Blinds are nice for private land, I would agree with not using on public

@Wildabeast: Serious side, thinking of the ghilla suit in part to keep warm as my scouting next month and the temps are generally flexing between freezing to indian summer weather. Seen it used in some of the videos so thought about it a bit. They do retain heat.

More than likely I am going with the camo clothing I already have.

Been practicing my turkey calls on the calls I just bought. Trying to make them sound like the turkeys in the video that I compared the sounds I recorded to. I was kinda successful. Called in this little black pug. She aint appreciating my calls though. Woofing at them.

china1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back