Wyo Task Force - Nonres Comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree,,they are clearly going after the oyo non residents allotments,,wouldnt be suprized at all if there is a bunch of shady deals behind the scenes,,land owner voucher,,outfitter tag pool,ect like new mexico did.just a haunch..im surprized there isnt a bunch more people speaking up about how much they have invested in there moose or sheep points,ect..im just trying to stand up for those folks.changing the rules is not fair for them.as ive said , i have no skin in the game for the "big 5",,,but i know elk,deer and antelope will be next if buzz and his "taskforce" has his way

i agree,,they are clearly going after the oyo non residents allotments,,wouldnt be suprized at all if there is a bunch of shady deals behind the scenes,,land owner voucher,,outfitter tag pool,ect like new mexico did.just a haunch..im surprized there isnt a bunch more people speaking up about how much they have invested in there moose or sheep points,ect..im just trying to stand up for those folks.changing the rules is not fair for them.as ive said , i have no skin in the game for the "big 5",,,but i know elk,deer and antelope will be next if buzz and his "taskforce" has his way
Maybe you missed it last page; did you watch the task force meetings?

Dan,
There's not much we can do as OYO nonres other than get the word out to as many nonres OYO hunters as possible and voice our comments to the Task Force. If it ever goes to the Wyo legislature we can also voice our opinions there as well. Hopefully the Task Force will keep in mind who supports 77% of the WG&F license and fees revenue and who has invested years and $ applying for pref pts.

Hopefully we find out what's up with the landowners and outfitters at the next meeting. If they let 90/10 pass for the Big 5 you can bet they have something up their sleeves.

I put my comment in voicing my opposition to changing the NR allocations but at the end of the day I know it’s their state and they can do what they want. No sense in me getting butthurt about it.
I was at first butt hurt about 90/10. After listening to some people talk and asking some questions I came around.

Do I like it? Nope. Do I understand it? Yup. States need to look after residents first.

I am more concerned with exorbitant price increases for licenses and tags for Nonres ans Res alike, and not just in Wyoming.

I hope the prices end up in the reasonable range.

25% increase in NR applications in Wyoming this year for elk...Resident applications for elk were flat to maybe a slight decrease according to Nesvik (Director).

But I think you're right that over-all R hunting pressure is increasing in a lot of places.
25%!? Yikes, I definitely need to rethink my son's tag strategy for 2022..

Money isn't the solution to the problem...if it were, we'd be awash in bighorns, moose, goats, pronghorn, mule deer, etc.

The GF is sitting on a nearly a years worth of operating reserves.

We're already funding the things on your list and more...yet our herds continue to decline. Water tanks and highway crossings, while helpful are not going to reverse the downward trends in bighorns, pronghorns, mule deer, and moose.

My thoughts are that I see RESIDENT hunters advocating for wildlife here way more than any NR ever thought of. I see Resident hunters at project work days, attending meetings, looking for solutions to the many problems, working for the NGO's here, working for the GF Department here, attending banquets, writing letters to the various agencies, sitting on advisory boards, committees, etc. etc. etc.

To say Residents don't do at least 90% of the work for wildlife, public lands, etc. here would be just a flat lie. That work should result in 90% of the resource going to them. I don't have to guess about them having earned it.

Its great that NR's show up for vacation with a tag and a few hundred in cash to sling around the economy...but that isn't tough, that's doing the bare bones minimum.

Why I feel guilty paying the paltry sums I do for the opportunity to hunt in other States as a NR...I'm not doing anything more than scribbling a check, and that's nothing to crow about.
This argument would be true for any state. Sorry I am not volunteering in Wyoming, I am busy enough in Wisconsin. Then, folks show up for their vacation a few weeks a year to fish here. Just the way it is

That’s pretty much the point I was trying to make I just worded it poorly. Seems the uptick in general outdoor recreation in the west may be putting just as much if not more stress on the resource than hunting. I think CO is a great example of that. Some of the places we used to vacation when I was a kid to camp/hike and stuff like that are total zoos now. That can’t be good for the animals when they’re getting pushed around damn near year round.
This observation hit me pretty hard. Ancedotal evidence, but I took the family on a road trip last week and we spent a few days in a national forest in Wyoming. Not going to give it away but it was not near a nat'l park. To say the place was a zoo would be an understatement. I took this pic of a nice little meadow about 3.5 miles down a forest service road, just around the corner from a designated campground that cost $5 a night. 20210713_093105.jpg
I couldn't even get all the campers in the picture. Just for grins and giggles I drove through and counted. There were 27 different setups on both sides of the meadow. Roughly 78% of the tags in this trailer park were WY, the other 22% were from other rocky mountain states (CO, MT and AZ, were all represented). Meanwhile the paid designated campground with 18 sites, that could be seen from this meadow mind you, had 5 rigs. One was from Co, the rest were from eastern states. The easier to access designated campground down the road 2 miles ($10 per night w/ 20 some sites) only had 3 rigs, all of which were from eastern states.

I'm sure those rigs in that meadow were there to put up some guzzlers or something and not just buzz around on their 4wheelers/mules while tearing up a nice meadow within eyesight of a perfectly good designated campground. It definitely reinforced my belief that NRs, who pretty much pay for everything going on out there, are the actual problem. Limiting NR access to quality big game tags should definitely fix the problem of no game on public land and is worthy of spending time and effort. I'm also sure the NR tag allocations are the reason why the elk I saw in the area were on the adjoining private land.

If I ever take up the offer to move out there, I'm going to talk to that guy and see what it would cost in a lease fee to lock that place up. If you can't beat em, join em.

I think you're in the extreme minority and that Virginia residents deserve way more than 2.5 deer.
Another Virginian here who would be totally fine with cuts to our resident deer tag allocations, and also happy to have more NRs hunting here. All the nonresident hunters I've met have been very friendly and respectful.

This observation hit me pretty hard. Ancedotal evidence, but I took the family on a road trip last week and we spent a few days in a national forest in Wyoming. Not going to give it away but it was not near a nat'l park. To say the place was a zoo would be an understatement. I took this pic of a nice little meadow about 3.5 miles down a forest service road, just around the corner from a designated campground that cost $5 a night. View attachment 188599
I couldn't even get all the campers in the picture. Just for grins and giggles I drove through and counted. There were 27 different setups on both sides of the meadow. Roughly 78% of the tags in this trailer park were WY, the other 22% were from other rocky mountain states (CO, MT and AZ, were all represented). Meanwhile the paid designated campground with 18 sites, that could be seen from this meadow mind you, had 5 rigs. One was from Co, the rest were from eastern states. The easier to access designated campground down the road 2 miles ($10 per night w/ 20 some sites) only had 3 rigs, all of which were from eastern states.

I'm sure those rigs in that meadow were there to put up some guzzlers or something and not just buzz around on their 4wheelers/mules while tearing up a nice meadow within eyesight of a perfectly good designated campground. It definitely reinforced my belief that NRs, who pretty much pay for everything going on out there, are the actual problem. Limiting NR access to quality big game tags should definitely fix the problem of no game on public land and is worthy of spending time and effort. I'm also sure the NR tag allocations are the reason why the elk I saw in the area were on the adjoining private land.

If I ever take up the offer to move out there, I'm going to talk to that guy and see what it would cost in a lease fee to lock that place up. If you can't beat em, join em.
Out of curiosity, we’re the established campgrounds reservation or first comes sites?

Out of curiosity, we’re the established campgrounds reservation or first comes sites?
Both were First Come First Serve. Only reason I was in the area snooping around. Have you tried to book a reservation campground this summer? Pretty much impossible unless you're on the internet when they open it up. Ridiculous.

Dan,
There's not much we can do as OYO nonres other than get the word out to as many nonres OYO hunters as possible and voice our comments to the Task Force. If it ever goes to the Wyo legislature we can also voice our opinions there as well. Hopefully the Task Force will keep in mind who supports 77% of the WG&F license and fees revenue and who has invested years and $ applying for pref pts.

Hopefully we find out what's up with the landowners and outfitters at the next meeting. If they let 90/10 pass for the Big 5 you can bet they have something up their sleeves.
I am curious why you think legislatures in Wyoming should care what someone thinks that's not their constituents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back