Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyo Task Force - Nonres Comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
think another thing that needs to be considered is the business entities that profit from wildlife, they need to start pitching in if they're going to have a seat at the table.
I can’t for the life of me figure out why so many states continue to fund G&F solely through license sales. IMO, there should be a percentage of a sales tax that is earmarked for G&F. EVERY industry benefits in some way from natural resources, either directly via consumptive/non consumptive use, or indirectly via job recruiting and retention.

I can’t for the life of me figure out why so many states continue to fund G&F solely through license sales. IMO, there should be a percentage of a sales tax that is earmarked for G&F. EVERY industry benefits in some way from natural resources, either directly via consumptive/non consumptive use, or indirectly via job recruiting and retention.
Missouri since 1976 (very close win at the polls)
1/8 cent sales tax for conservation

Missouri since 1976 (very close win at the polls)
1/8 cent sales tax for conservation
Yep. It actually was a very visionary decision. Too bad more states don’t embrace it. Then, it wouldn’t have to be a battle of the R vs NR pricing when the reality is, there are a LOT of people who are benefiting from wildlife without paying a dime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. It actually was a very visionary decision. Too bad more states don’t embrace it. Then, it wouldn’t have to be a battle of the R vs NR pricing when the reality is, there are a LOT of people who are benefiting from wildlife without paying a dime.
It's not just funding. It's over pressuring the resource. As I said early the days of NR trapsing all over the west are quickly coming to a close.

Seems reasonable for owners of the land to want to spend time on it. Remember, around half of Wyoming is owned by the Federal Government.

If it makes you feel better, I live here and still can’t hunt elk wherever I want. Even though they’re “our” wildlife on “our land”

I can still spend time on that land camping, fishing, small game/bird hunting, hiking, bird watching, shed hunting, rock hounding, basket weaving, crocheting, laying in a hammock, and probably a few other things.

Still a pretty good deal overall.

If it makes you feel better, I live here and still can’t hunt elk wherever I want. Even though they’re “our” wildlife on “our land”

I can still spend time on that land camping, fishing, small game/bird hunting, hiking, bird watching, shed hunting, rock hounding, basket weaving, crocheting, laying in a hammock, and probably a few other things.

Still a pretty good deal overall.
What would make you think you are entitled to hunt elk wherever you want? FYI, the wildlife belongs to everyone. Half of Wyoming is federal, and belongs to all Americans.

What would make you think you are entitled to hunt elk wherever you want? FYI, the wildlife belongs to everyone. Half of Wyoming is federal, and belongs to all Americans.
The post I quoted was implying they can’t spend time on their land because they can’t hunt big game on it as much as they’d like. I’m saying there’s rules for where everyone can hunt, but there are a million ways to enjoy our land.

It's not just funding. It's over pressuring the resource. As I said early the days of NR trapsing all over the west are quickly coming to a close.
I’m not talking about the population management aspect, but solely funding.

Shouldn’t you be wolf hunting?

So NR pressure is more detrimental than increased R pressure? The same number of tags are gonna get used. They’ll just be in different pockets.
Actually, this isn’t completely true. More than one western state has had an upswing in R hunters.

For many, hunting pressure is the easy scapegoat for them to focus on when there are bigger issues.

Actually, this isn’t completely true. More than one western state has had an upswing in R hunters.

For many, hunting pressure is the easy scapegoat for them to focus on when there are bigger issues.
25% increase in NR applications in Wyoming this year for elk...Resident applications for elk were flat to maybe a slight decrease according to Nesvik (Director).

But I think you're right that over-all R hunting pressure is increasing in a lot of places.

Last time I checked the amount of NR tags tags are capped pretty much everywhere with the exception of some OTC tags.

I don't see how an increased number of people applying for a set number of tags has anything to do with actual added pressure on the resource except in the OTC units.

That’s pretty much the point I was trying to make I just worded it poorly. Seems the uptick in general outdoor recreation in the west may be putting just as much if not more stress on the resource than hunting. I think CO is a great example of that. Some of the places we used to vacation when I was a kid to camp/hike and stuff like that are total zoos now. That can’t be good for the animals when they’re getting pushed around damn near year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back