Wyo NR deer with 8 pp: help

What Map

I have 8 preference points for nonresident deer in Wyoming. I like IDNATIVE 1948 have given my notice (after 35 years) and will be free to hunt any day I choose this coming fall.
So what Wyoming area do I apply for? Here’s my research based on help from the Eastman family’s journals:
The best areas in no particular order are 87, 89, 90, 101, 102 and 105-106-109. Any others I should look at?
105-106 and 109 are nearer to my home. Some difficult terrain. Season is the first two weeks of November which is good. 40% chance of draw for high priced tag.
Areas 87 and 89 may be a physically easier hunts. Late October time frame is OK. Access could be problem? Near 100% draw.
101 and 102 have been the best historically. Right? Easier type of hunt. Chance of a nice buck. 50% draw rate.
Any suggestion? Recommendation?

Last edited:
87 or 102

Thanks for the advice. Others have suggested 102 also. It is my top choice for now. I hope they don't change the law about NR % and make my PPs worthless before I get one of those rare WYO deer areas, especially after my retirement! Lots of money tied up in PPs.

Unit 87 is an awfully neat one, but then again so is 102. I think you'd have a hard time NOT having fun in either one.

What Map, best of luck in the draw and let us know how it plays out for you. I'd love to hear about your hunt. I'm a NR with max points as well, and I'm just trying to answer the when/where questions too.

Just my 2 cents but I think you will be very disappointed with area 102. From what I have seen and heard it has gone down hill. Tag numbers have increased and deer numbers have gone down.

I would caution you about 102 as well. Both my wife and I had 102 tags last year and quality and quantity of bucks is much lower than what you could get from a Region G or H tag. My wife ended up taking a buck that made her happy but I ate my tag. Areas that 10 years ago held deer were completely devoid of deer. We ended up finding the best bucks along the Utah border but still nothing that could not be easily surpassed in G or H. I can't help you on your other choices. Good luck to you.

Here is a pic of my wife's WYO 2011 buck. I could put in for that area again but I'm in a "catch 22" situation. I have too many preference points. So I want to use them for one of the best areas in the state.
Also, I'm posting this picture because I don't want my "grip&grin-to-politics" ratio to get too low.

P1020461.jpg

Rmyoug1, I will post here what I decide.
mhungerfood and mulecreek: I hear what you are saying about 102.
JLS, I am looking again at area 87.

Here is what the Eastmans have to say about 87:

"Access could be problematic here (87) but this is about as good a mule deer hunt that WYO has to offer at this point."

Two week season at end of Oct is not bad. And chance of draw is very good with high price NR tag.

My wife had the Unit 87 tag in 2010 and my friend had it in 2013. He is one of the best hunters I know. If you are happy with a 160 buck, great hunt. If you are looking for more, look elsewhere.

I decided to put in for deer area 105 in WY. It is the closest “blue ribbon” area to my home. I went with the regular (lower) priced permit since the odds were not much better for the high priced one. I also put in for the doe tag there. Diane and I hope to get our horses to the trail heads in the area this summer to do some scouting regardless of the draw. And we hope WY won’t screw with the NR permit system for the next few years!

I've also been scrambling to burn my max points before the NR quota gets hit. But based on all the reviews I've read, quality really sounds bleak.

I actually applied a week ago, so I would not forget, knowing I could change unit any time. But now I'll probably take a hit and cancel that application, just put in for a point in August.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back