MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WY one shot pronghorn hunt...circling the drain

Could be that these One Shot hunters couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and they never anticipate anything getting killed. I mean honestly, who kills an antelope with one shot. Usually takes me 3 or 4 to get the elevation adjustment correct. Windage is another box of shells.

I believe @Big Fin calls them "warning shots."

The moment that kind of threw me off of the show was on Janis' dad's caribou hunt, when Steven started arguing with his dad about the Crosshairs Vs. Clock method to identify to location of an animal, while I agreed with Steven's method, I felt that he was arguing with Janis' dad and getting very annoyed with him and that it wasn't just a friendly "no dude, you're wrong! haha" moment. I don't know, it came off as weird to me and I felt like Steven had a little too big of a head. Like chill dude, you ain't changing this old boy's mind...

i think you and everyone that watched that episode felt similarly

i imagine one thing about that scene though: steve has absolute authority to cut scenes, i'm sure. how many of us would have told the editors "damn i was acting like an ass there, keep that scene out", but obviously it's still in there

and i'm sure he and they at meateater had a motivation for keeping it in there. it doesn't seem like the meateater MO is to edit things to make them(selves) look perfect.

how many of us can recount multiple times we've gone way over the top and dug our heels in on something irrelevant and acted like a total asshole to someone for no reason? it's life. and when you've been sleeping poorly in the middle of nowhere that's exactly what happens, all the time. i imagine that could be a motivation for keeping that scene

now this barely has anything to do with the one shot hunt and steve's participation - another can of worms there. but that scene can't be a reason to throw steve out with the bath water, i've been a way bigger dick to people in life over less, and i was ashamed of it

Last edited:
and i'm sure he and they at meateater had a motivation for keeping it in there. it doesn't seem like the meateater MO is to edit things to make them(selves) look perfect.

how many of us can recount multiple times we've gone way over the top and dug our heels in on something irrelevant and acted like a total asshole to someone for no reason? it's life. and when you've been sleeping poorly in the middle of nowhere that's exactly what happens, all the time. i imagine that could be a motivation for keeping that scene

but that scene can't be a reason to throw steve out with the bath water, i've been a way bigger dick to people in life over less, and i was ashamed of it

On these points, you are 100% correct, they chose to keep it in, but they also chose not to add any of Steven's narration over it, as they always do. This could've been a great moment to discuss what you've just described but they chose not to.

I might get over it, I might not, but this scene isn't the sole reason why I no longer like the show. I might watch the next season when it comes out, out of boredom, they also have great guests on the show and as I've stated before, I do like Janis, just not a fan of Steven and Cal. I mean I was wearing First Lite before they bought the company and will still wear First Lite. Out of all the major brands I've used, they make my favourite gear and I won't stop wearing it because I dislike Rinella, unless they do something very stupid (like Under Armour).

But I digress again! One Shot = Bad.

I mean honestly, who kills an antelope with one shot.

Um....🙋🏻‍♀️?

Maybe THAT’S why the girls aren’t allowed?

(Sorry. Couldn’t help it. 🤣)

Seriously, glad to see this getting so much scrutiny. Setting aside cherry tags for special classes of people doesn’t sit right with me, no matter the group. It’s a public resource, should be equally available to everyone.

Seriously, glad to see this getting so much scrutiny. Setting aside cherry tags for special classes of people doesn’t sit right with me, no matter the group. It’s a public resource, should be equally available to everyone.
playing devils advocate here:

What if the 80 tags costed 100k each raising a total of 8 million for Wyoming Fish and Game?

There is a threshold where it makes sense to set aside "cherry" tags for those "special classes".

What if the 80 tags costed 100k each raising a total of 8 million for Wyoming Fish and Game?

There is a threshold where it makes sense to set aside "cherry" tags for those "special classes".
Playing devils advocate here: Where does selling to the wealthy for the "cherry" tags stop?

If we can sell 80 for 100K each, why don't we sell 160, 320.

I'm a very reluctant supporter of a very small number of these tags, but in many states, Wyoming included, its gotten wayyyy out of hand. I also want full accountability for the money raised and strict guidelines on how its spent.

Um....🙋🏻‍♀️?

Maybe THAT’S why the girls aren’t allowed?

(Sorry. Couldn’t help it. 🤣)

Playing devils advocate here: Where does selling to the wealthy for the "cherry" tags stop?

If we can sell 80 for 100K each, why don't we sell 160, 320.
As long as the fundraising produces an equal or greater amount of future opportunity/wildlife - there should be no end.

I know that's not the case here obviously. In fact, I don't even think most commissioner tags for most states even generate enough to validate the point I was making.

but in many states, Wyoming included, its gotten wayyyy out of hand. I also want full accountability for the money raised and strict guidelines on how its spent.

I couldn't agree with you more. Probably the first time we have seen eye to eye I think!

As long as the fundraising produces an equal or greater amount of future opportunity/wildlife - there should be no end.

I know that's not the case here obviously. In fact, I don't even think most commissioner tags for most states even generate enough to validate the point I was making.

How do you know if those tags are really doing that?

We've raised a metric chit-ton of money for sheep, shiras moose, and mule deer and yet there's less opportunity at all those species in Wyoming and elsewhere than before these tags existed.

If your defense of these tags is strictly based on future opportunity and wildlife numbers, the logical conclusion is that they don't work.

Example: Last year in Wyoming we issued right at or near 200 bighorn ram tags, in 1978 over 400 rams tag. Same with moose here, over 2K tags issued in 1978 in Wyoming last year maybe 400.

Is it worth giving up precious opportunities to the well heeled when we have less than half of the available tags now than 1978?

How do you know if those tags are really doing that?

We've raised a metric chit-ton of money for sheep, shiras moose, and mule deer and yet there's less opportunity at all those species in Wyoming and elsewhere than before these tags existed.

If your defense of these tags is strictly based on future opportunity and wildlife numbers, the logical conclusion is that they don't work.

Example: Last year in Wyoming we issued right at or near 200 bighorn ram tags, in 1978 over 400 rams tag. Same with moose here, over 2K tags issued in 1978 in Wyoming last year maybe 400.

Is it worth giving up precious opportunities to the well heeled when we have less than half of the available tags now than 1978?
Your taking this too personal and specific. I wasn't trying to support the one shot or how Wyoming does commission tags and your attacking me as if I am. I was just making the point that there is a time and place along side a proper dollar amount where it makes sense to use a rare resource as a cash cow of the resource.

The North American model breaks down when we rely on the highest bidder to fund wildlife management. I’m not willing to sacrifice that, period.

The North American model breaks down when we rely on the highest bidder to fund wildlife management. I’m not willing to sacrifice that, period.
That's pretty naive of you. Your telling me that if you were on the commissioner board and I went to the board and said "I would like to buy a bighorn sheep tag from the state for 10 million dollars but the stipulation of this transaction is that all 10 million goes directly into big horn sheep projects to help increase the population and ensure my grandchildren can have sheep on the mountain" you would reject that?

That's pretty naive of you.
And your statement is asinine. The North American model is supposed to provide equal access to all, regardless of money.

Edit: And yes, I've written to oppose special draw tags, commissioner tags, auction tags. I don't like any of them, regardless of the potential good they can do. It's completely antithetical to access and opportunity to and for all, regardless of their social and/or economic class. If you want that, go to Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty naive of you. Your telling me that if you were on the commissioner board and I went to the board and said "I would like to buy a bighorn sheep tag from the state for 10 million dollars but the stipulation of this transaction is that all 10 million goes directly into big horn sheep projects to help increase the population and ensure my grandchildren can have sheep on the mountain" you would reject that?
Absolutely. Naive of you to think it would stop there. I’ve been in this profession a long time. When money starts getting thrown around for tags, the public gets screwed. Every time.

Look at Utah. Busy making so much money off special tags that residents can’t even draw. It’s been great for opportunity.🙄

I'd tell you to pound sand. Then I'd tell you we'll figure out a way without your help.

Back