Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

WY one shot pronghorn hunt...circling the drain

I'll still hold out hope that some politician steps up and returns it to its original intent. Been a very long time since those days though and maybe it's too long gone to return it.

I just got around to watching it. I sure wish i could have been able to see who was talking. It really seems the the 2nd and the 3rd guy from the left were pretty decent guys . I think the first guy must be buddies with them. I think its pathetic that they keep saying the tags don't come out of the general drawing. Their all Wyoming antelope. If your not taking antelope out of the herd ,their going to continue to live and breed and make more antelope which over time are going to increase the tag quata for those areas. As far as the economic hardship on lander ... come on those tags are going to be redistributed to other tag holders and their going to spend the same money. Im sure when the wildlife biologists determines the hurd size they know how many animals can be taken to maintain a set number based on breeding and survival percentage. Those tags are coming out the the general population of that area.

Just got back from the commission meeting, where 3 people gave testimony opposing the 80 tag allocation for the one shot hunt.

The topic of the tags was supposed to be a 10 minute deal on the agenda...turned into over an hour long discussion.

Was an interesting hour, and lets just say the one guy trying to defend the one shot may not be too happy his testimony was recorded come November. The commission felt an obligation to issue the tags this year, all 80, but they asked a ton of questions and not of the good variety if you're a supporter of the one-shot hunt.

For all those that sent emails, they made a HUGE impact, Commissioners, Mike Schmid and Ralph Brokaw both commented that their email accounts were lit up and they are going to have to address this issue at the November Meeting.

I've been at this for about 3 years on this particular issue, and this is the most discussion I've seen on this and as close as I've seen it where you could "feel" the commission wanting to deny the tags.

Also, just an FYI, Tom Chambers, a Field Representative for the Wyoming BHA chapter, presented the Game and Fish a check for $1500 for Accessyes to the Department on behalf of the Wyoming Chapter, to start the meeting off on a positive note.

Thank you to all that sent emails.

Will be interesting to get mulecreeks take on this as he was there and commented as well, great testimony as per always.

First off, the WyBHA deserves a huge "Thank you" for their AccessYes donation of $1500. This will 100% lead to more land to hunt and fish. A lot more. For everyone, not just the well connected. The importance of this donation cannot be overstated and WyBHA has a great track record of creating more access by putting their members time, money and effort where their mouth is. Great job WyBHA!

My thoughts echo Buzz's. The emails to the Comms have an impact. Even if for nothing more than getting issues on their radar screen. 100% guarantee had those emails not gone out then several Comms would have put almost no thought into this agenda item. Additionally, actual in person testimony is huge. Like Buzz said, this was to be a 10 minute rubber stamp agenda item. Having people, and it doesn't take many, actually speak gets the discussion rolling. Having a person like Buzz or JM77, who they already know and can form a coherent thought, goes a long way. I think people would be surprised by how little some of the Comms know about the issues presented to them. Some of them really know their stuff, others are still learning. Commissioner Schmid is one that knows his stuff but will listen to the other side. He is a great asset to the average public land hunter. Commissioner Crank is a sharp son of a gun. I dont always agree with his stance, when he commented at this meeting about wanting to be able to use his moose PP's to give his tag to his grandson, I cringed but you can tell he uses that brain of his. And he is a leader and can sway a vote or two. Always has an opinion and not afraid to voice it. Some of the others wouldn't say poo if they had a mouthful.

Ultimately I think the allocation of tags to the Lander one shot will diminish. I think it is entirely possible that this years cancellation of events could be the final nail. Either way I see myself heading to another Comm meeting in November and I dont see them getting more than 24 tags going forward.

You know who else was on Hickenlooper's 2017 team? Steven Rinella. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall him saying one word about it (and he has said a lot of words). I have a lot of respect for him, and I would love to hear his view on this. Why the silence?

You know who else was on Hickenlooper's 2017 team? Steven Rinella. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall him saying one word about it (and he has said a lot of words). I have a lot of respect for him, and I would love to hear his view on this. Why the silence?
Why the silence? Maybe because two guys warned him about the One Shot and he went anyways? Did he put on the women's shawl, because his team did not win?
I posted on Meateater Facebook page asking the last question and the post lasted all of 5 minutes before it was deleted.

How about it Steve?

He did talk about it on one episode but didn't elaborate at all.

As far as the tags go for this year, statute say up to 160 licenses for two antelope hunt events. If the hunt event is cancelled, G&F cannot issue those tags set-aside for the One Shot.

Still worth the call to Jason Hunter...
Spoke with Jason today and he confirmed what you stated Jeff. Also reiterated that the 80 tags are not factored into the total tags available for these areas. Said they are treated just like Commissioner tags and if they went away it would not increase the available tags in the draw. Seems hard to square that circle.

Spoke with Jason today and he confirmed what you stated Jeff. Also reiterated that the 80 tags are not factored into the total tags available for these areas. Said they are treated just like Commissioner tags and if they went away it would not increase the available tags in the draw. Seems hard to square that circle.
But if 80 less tags are being used each year in those areas, antelope populations will increase and thus the need to add a few more tags :p

But if 80 less tags are being used each year in those areas, antelope populations will increase and thus the need to add a few more tags :p
Could be that these One Shot hunters couldn't hit the broadside of a barn and they never anticipate anything getting killed. I mean honestly, who kills an antelope with one shot. Usually takes me 3 or 4 to get the elevation adjustment correct. Windage is another box of shells.

The first time Buzz and I met with Jason he stated those One Shot tags were taken into consideration when setting quotas. Later on he changed his tune. However, in front of legislators at an interim committee meeting, former director of G&F Scott Talbert said these tags decreased opportunity for regular hunters. I'm not sure how any biologist could say there is no consideration given to these special licenses, but just arbitrarily add them to a regularly established quota. Could they not then, simply raise every antelope area in Wyoming by the same percentage?

The first time Buzz and I met with Jason he stated those One Shot tags were taken into consideration when setting quotas. Later on he changed his tune. However, in front of legislators at an interim committee meeting, former director of G&F Scott Talbert said these tags decreased opportunity for regular hunters. I'm not sure how any biologist could say there is no consideration given to these special licenses, but just arbitrarily add them to a regularly established quota. Could they not then, simply raise every antelope area in Wyoming by the same percentage?
Yeah, that's a tough one to take at face value, isn't it?

Its really not that hard . They know exactly how basic herd management works . If these hunts are eliminated eventually the herd size will get larger and they will increase the tag quota. They raise and lower unit quotas every year in different units for different reasons. I agree they won't go back in year one after the quota has been set and thats what they keep referring to and manipulating. I don't know if they are trying to bs there way through this just so they get "their " tags or their just that ignorant.

Seriously? This whole One Shot thing sounds absolutely ridiculous. On top of that the losers dress as women? WTF is that all about?

You can't make this shyt up!!!

The only thing crazier is the list of "notable" people who have participated in this disgrace.

Why the silence? Maybe because two guys warned him about the One Shot and he went anyways? Did he put on the women's shawl, because his team did not win?
I posted on Meateater Facebook page asking the last question and the post lasted all of 5 minutes before it was deleted.

How about it Steve?

My kid loved watching that show for some reason. When I caught wind of the one shot deal I was done!

My kid loved watching that show for some reason. When I caught wind of the one shot deal I was done!

I used to like the show a lot, but Steven and Cal always kind of annoyed me but still I liked their message, watched the show and thought (still do) they'd done great things for the sport. I do like Janis and think he seems like a pretty good dude and I still find him entertaining.

The moment that kind of threw me off of the show was on Janis' dad's caribou hunt, when Steven started arguing with his dad about the Crosshairs Vs. Clock method to identify to location of an animal, while I agreed with Steven's method, I felt that he was arguing with Janis' dad and getting very annoyed with him and that it wasn't just a friendly "no dude, you're wrong! haha" moment. I don't know, it came off as weird to me and I felt like Steven had a little too big of a head. Like chill dude, you ain't changing this old boy's mind...

But I digress, back on subject, One Shot sounds like the old sexist boy's club in plain sight...

Back