WY one shot pronghorn hunt...circling the drain

Buzz
Thank you for all the updates and info. Thanks to you and Jeff for all the hard work and hours put into this issue and other issues that affect both R and NR in Wyoming.
I submitted my emails and will continue to do so as long as I’m made aware of any issues that arise.

It’s a really sour deal that the legislature reworded the law, creating a defacto pass the buck to the commission to let them become the new bad guys when/if they ever chose to issue 0 tags to any antelope event.
0C056605-EA84-4B9D-865E-E361D93878D0.jpeg
Maybe the commission will come around in Nov and choose to put 2020 in the history books as the last year of state-facilitated chicanery through Lander One Hunt.

Seeing how poorly things went the last time around by trying to fix this through the legislature, I see why @BuzzH would be reluctant to maybe go that route again.

However, I’d imagine a large majority of Wyomingites would be on the same page about wanting 23-1-705(b) to be removed. I can imagine support from resident antelope hunters, those wanting to help dismantle publicly-enabled systems of gender discrimination and/or cultural appropriation, and maybe the biggest group, anyone who’d like to see WY natural resources shared by everyone, rather than just gifted away to special interest groups, VIP’s, South Africa, etc, as fodder for insider politicking.

That is great news. I had contacted the lone female member as she likely feels the irony of women being an underrepresented group on the commission and excluded at that particular hunt event. 6 old white guys and 1 female is even a more skewed representation of Wyoming than most corporate boards.

I also knew I was going to oppose it, not on the optics or merit of the hunt, but rather to the point that special allocations of tags is just flat wrong. It defies the North American Model, and creates classes and exclusivenes
I don't want to stray drastically off topic but since it has come up before in your posts and now here again a few times, I would just be really interested to get your take on the NR vs R quota system of tag allocations. It sure seems to me like you stand strongly for no special privileges. Does that include this break down as well?

I have a somewhat off topic question as well Buzz, and I apologize if you've answered it already on another thread. Do you oppose Governors tags and Comissioners tags?

Last edited:
Just got back from the commission meeting, where 3 people gave testimony opposing the 80 tag allocation for the one shot hunt.

The topic of the tags was supposed to be a 10 minute deal on the agenda...turned into over an hour long discussion.

Was an interesting hour, and lets just say the one guy trying to defend the one shot may not be too happy his testimony was recorded come November. The commission felt an obligation to issue the tags this year, all 80, but they asked a ton of questions and not of the good variety if you're a supporter of the one-shot hunt.

For all those that sent emails, they made a HUGE impact, Commissioners, Mike Schmid and Ralph Brokaw both commented that their email accounts were lit up and they are going to have to address this issue at the November Meeting.

I've been at this for about 3 years on this particular issue, and this is the most discussion I've seen on this and as close as I've seen it where you could "feel" the commission wanting to deny the tags.

Also, just an FYI, Tom Chambers, a Field Representative for the Wyoming BHA chapter, presented the Game and Fish a check for $1500 for Accessyes to the Department on behalf of the Wyoming Chapter, to start the meeting off on a positive note.

Thank you to all that sent emails.

Will be interesting to get mulecreeks take on this as he was there and commented as well, great testimony as per always.

Thanks to mulecreek, Buzz, the other person who testified and all those who got involved with emails. A Commissioner messaged me last night and said "There's a storm brewing, like I said". Yes, I would say there is!

What floors me about all this, is the One Shot and those defending it who continue to lie about what goes on. The person from the One Shot flat out lied to the Commission on how many times a past shooter can get a tag. They also continue to lie about the Shoshone involvement. Nothing, and I mean nothing happens at the One Shot, that isn't condoned by it's board. From the abuse with the extra 56 tags, to the losers dressing up like Native America women, and their stag events that exclude all women, these are decisions made at their board level. It's amazing how this "cult" has a grip on elected officials in Wyoming!

Wytex, we need you at that next meeting!!

Stay tuned this isn't over.

You guys have any idea How long before the link is up to watch the commission meeting?

Commission doesn't seem too thrilled with the idea that hunt area quotas were set and approved before the 80 one shot tags were approved, and that if they don't approve the 56 next year, that those tags won't necessarily be added to the quotas.

I’d like to buy commissioner Schmid a beer Sometime or send him a bottle of whiskey. He seemed to spear head a lot of the critical thinking that brought some issues to light for other commissioners at the meeting. I would like to have heard more from commissioner Byrd as well being the female representative on the panel. Would like to have seen them only approve the 24 licenses but I’m also not sure how the town of Lander would have survived the economic loss. I mean it’s such an economic boom and all....

Hopefully this will not only be this year but many more also.

Hopefully this will not only be this year but many more also.
Oh, I'm sure a virus cancelled this jokerfest, but just not the corona one.

So they still got approved for the licenses. Wonder if the tags will still be used by their hunters but just no dress up event? If I was a betting man I would say yes

Jeff and I are wondering the same thing...its easy enough to find out, Jason Hunter is the guy with the GF that issues the licenses every year.

Its also funny in the article they say they're getting calls regarding covid...yeah, I'm sure they are. I'm also pretty sure after the CPR and WPR articles hit the streets that the questions being asked are about those articles as well. I don't see how anyone with a legitimate business was half famous at all, etc. would risk "hunting" in that cluster-shag of an event. I just have a sneaking suspicion that something else happened to shut this down.

IMO, I bet the teams are going to get tougher to put together from here on out...the toxic nature and horrific optics are going to end this thing I believe.

Cant say I'll shed a single tear if it goes the way of the dinosaur.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back