Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

WY Nonresident elk hunters???

BuzzH

Got a question for all the NR elk hunters or would be NR elk hunters.

If the drawing date for NR elk were to be moved from its current time (end of February) to align with the deer/antelope drawing in May, would anyone NOT continue to apply in Wyoming for elk?

It might be nice to see what other states I may have drawn that fall, then depending on that I would might opt to put in for a preference point instead of for a tag. Its kind of nice to know so early for Wyoming to plan other hunts for the fall the way it is now.

I would still be participating in the system, either by applying or buying a point. In the current schedule, I use Wyoming as one of my building blocks for my fall hunting schedule, given it is the first to inform non-residents of their drawing success. If the date was moved to later as is being asked, I would still apply or buy points, depending upon results I had from other states that conduct their draws earlier.

I don't think it would stop a lot of guys and I think a lot of people would eventually request the drawing date moved back to the end of Feb. It's nice knowing where you stand with tags early in the year so you can adjust plans/vacation.

I know biologists would like to know more about the herd numbers/conditions and a later drawing would help them with their counts before tags were issued.

I would apply no matter the date. I may alter my choice to a more premium unit if I already had other permits drawn.

I would probably still apply, but other states might get my money first (If I draw a tag), I like having wyoming so early.

i like the way it is(mainly because i understand it finally), early allows for better planning for me. if i don't get the elk tag then i know i will make sure to apply for a deer and lope tag that i will draw. the way i hunt i like to hunt-elk one year then deer/lope the following and have found areas that allow me great hunting every other year with just one point each and buy the standard cost license. you want to change something make every state the same system or leave things alone

I think I am similar to others in that at the very least, I would buy a point in the summer.

I really like the early application date and results. If I draw, sweet. If not, then I have other states for plans B and C. Not that I matter, but I'd prefer the application dates stayed the same.

I much prefer the earlier dates. It would go from my "Plan A" to my "Plan C or D". They'd most likely still get at least a preference point out of me, but I'd probably end up hunting there a few less times in the long run.

I would apply for WY elk either way, but I'd actually like the WY application deadline to be in May. I say this because the NM results would be out by then; since NM has no point system it's a roll of the dice, you'd know if you hit the NM jack pot before applying for WY. If NM was a point state like the rest of the west, then I'd leave WY elk dates as they are today.

Got a question for all the NR elk hunters or would be NR elk hunters.

If the drawing date for NR elk were to be moved from its current time (end of February) to align with the deer/antelope drawing in May, would anyone NOT continue to apply in Wyoming for elk?

I have been hosed on changing tentative dates for three years in a row. This year two different bios told me they were going to move to the later hunt date but the meeting was the week after apps were due. They didn't move the dates. arrgh
Both told me they would prefer a later date, after their counts and meetings, and one had just sent off an email asking for the change.

I am very much in favor of a later app deadline.

I like it the way it is, but would still be in. I tend to put in for either bull or cow tags depending on my point count.

As most of the others, would still be in, but would change strategy for sure. Now I apply for the hunt I want, even though I am well behind the points required, just for the chance at a random tag. If changed, I would probably just do points. Prefer the early dates, both apply and results.

Back