WY Mud Roads

central wyoming is a bentonite goo base,,when it gets wet,its about the worst stuff ive ever dealt with,,i never go to wyoming without ,,a// the best bfg mud terrian tires at 75% or more tread,,,b// tire chains,all 4 if posible,,c// tug-em strap if you can get help,,,d // winch and rebar and sludge hammer to drive stakes into the ground,,e//quad to get back to pavement if needed.//good luck

Sometimes we just say F it and stay off the roads for a day when it gets so bad. Destroying the roads that'll likely be dried out in a day is a good recipe for pissing the locals off, especially if you've got access to a HMA.

What's impressive about the mud in Wyoming is how deep it can get even on the county roads. I never was able to get that sh*t completely off of my last truck's undercarriage. I found a new little crevice full of it every time I went under there.

That's the bentonite, they use that for drilling mud .
That’s what I was thinking. Familiar with bentonite as a “lubricant” for directional boring.

If the stuff is that bad then we will likely just stay off of it and use a day or two for sight seeing. She’s not exactly a hard core hunter, and gets daintier every day that she gets older. Probably wouldn’t be her idea of a good time, especially if we got stuck

I did an antelope hunt in Eastern Montana after rain. Absolutely impassable. I drove about 100 or 200 yards, got turned around and got the heck out of there. I assume that parts of Wyoming are obviously similar. Nightmare stuff ... Bah!

This has been an interesting thread! Unless things change here in WY, muddy roads won't be an issue :) Can't remember the last time we had more than 1 minute of rain.

Sometimes we just say F it and stay off the roads for a day when it gets so bad. Destroying the roads that'll likely be dried out in a day is a good recipe for pissing the locals off, especially if you've got access to a HMA.

What's impressive about the mud in Wyoming is how deep it can get even on the county roads. I never was able to get that sh*t completely off of my last truck's undercarriage. I found a new little crevice full of it every time I went under there.
This. Last fall we had lots of rain out at the farm. The hunters made a mess of the roads and pissed off a lot of farmers and ranchers in the country.

Three drops of rain and you are sliding down the camber of the road and into the ditch, on a perfectly level road.
Been there, done that. When you have your wife and kid walking beside the rig with one on the front bumper and one on the back holding you into the road you know it’s slick.

Like a 6000lb hockey puck in grease.

Been there, done that. When you have your wife and kid walking beside the rig with one on the front bumper and one on the back holding you into the road you know it’s slick.

Like a 6000lb hockey puck in grease.

Yup, drove sideways, on what looked totally flat last year. That was interesting.

Anybody want to comment on the usefulness of this map. Stay away from the areas in blue after a rain or is it more widespread than what is shown on the map?
wsgs-2014-bentonite-summary 4.jpg

All bets are off when it rains or snows in WY. I'm sure its that way other places too. It can completely lock you out of areas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back