Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

WY Mud Roads

Ah... far cheaper and lighter than chains. I will have to try and figure out how to accomplish this. For some reason, I can't picture how to attach the 2x to the tire.

Ah... far cheaper and lighter than chains. I will have to try and figure out how to accomplish this. For some reason, I can't picture how to attach the 2x to the tire.
There’s a commercially produced version available too. Haven’t tried them but I hear good things.

Just go through the rim. Obviously you need one with a bit of an opening in it to pass the strap through.

then when you get out of the mud. The strap cleans easy.....just pitch the 2x4

There’s a commercially produced version available too. Haven’t tried them but I hear good things.

These things are awesome...had to use them once and there was nothing other than a tow truck that would have gotten me out of that jam.

These things are awesome...had to use them once and there was nothing other than a tow truck that would have gotten me out of that jam.
I’m going to order a set for this fall. When I get stuck it’s usually in a drift and there’s usually no place to anchor a winch to even if I had one...

Thank y’all for all of the responses. I like the board idea for getting unstuck. I’m going to buy some chains regardless, as the ones that I have are for a different tire size for a vehicle that I no longer have. I’ve never used chains before.

I’m currently looking at 7, 21, 24, 18, 32, 113, and 16 based on the research that I’ve done for our two point options. My research and reasoning may be flawed due to this being my first rodeo, but I will likely use a high point unit as our first choice (and hope and pray for a random draw), and then one of these as our second choice units that two points should hopefully guarantee (one or two of those may require ponying up for special draw tags). I just wanted to know if I should be considering anything other than draw odds and available public land/access.

More than likely if you are smart with your driving you will be fine with your current tires and won't need chains. But since you are coming from so far away, it would be wise to come prepared with chains and a shovel. I have never used those board things but wouldn't hurt to toss some of those in too if you had them.

a few searches and I can't find any threads on a complete truck gear list for off-roading. I personally feel I have over the years put together quite the extensive kit in my truck but I'm curious to see what others might have that maybe I've missed because this whole 2x4 and ratchet strap is something I've never done before and I'm very intrigued to try it out.

I learned my lesson. I never go to wyoming without chains and truckclaws and shovels.
Never again

I always carry chains, a shovel, an air compressor (to deflate tires if necessary), 2 tow straps, and a come along. Can get you out of most spots. If the road looks questionable, walk it first. But to answer your question, some of the mud out there in the desert gets atrocious after rain or melting snow. If you expect weather, don't go too deep solo.

The 2x4 method works great if you're stuck in a small area of mud. An entire road of bentonite will not be that easy to navigate.

We try to not rut up the roads for the next hunters out, a little common courtesy.

I’m going to order a set for this fall. When I get stuck it’s usually in a drift and there’s usually no place to anchor a winch to even if I had one...

I had been looking at Truck Claws, too. They have a sale for 25% off right now with coupon code SUMMER2020. Just ordered mine.

Heavily dependent on the area. Most two tracks in the state can get bad with the right conditions. But there are areas like 47 pronghorn that get downright terrible with any amount of moisture. Bentonite sucks.

I've driven down roads in Wyoming that were bone dry one day and shredded 6 inch deep mud ruts the next.

If taking a set of chains eases your mind, do it. Otherwise, be mindful of where you drive if the roads get bad and you will be fine.

I’m currently looking at 7, 21, 24, 18, 32, 113, and 16 based on the research that I’ve done for our two point options. My research and reasoning may be flawed due to this being my first rodeo, but I will likely use a high point unit as our first choice (and hope and pray for a random draw), and then one of these as our second choice units that two points should hopefully guarantee (one or two of those may require ponying up for special draw tags). I just wanted to know if I should be considering anything other than draw odds and available public land/access.
I have hunted 16. To date, you have not needed any points, and I wouldn't waste any hunting there. Zero points? Maybe. 2 points? No.
I currently hunt 24 on private land. If you're doing this on public land, again don't waste your time. I have visited the very few public land locations and assume people only come to hunt those because they haven't seen them in person. The public land access is much more difficult than in 16.

I would highly recommend getting the OnX version that works on your computer (assuming you use one and not a phone) and search out the public access as well as road access.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back