Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

WY License Fees Increase Effective 1/1/2018

Anyone know if they're raising the prices for preference points only? I can't find any info on it. I've been paying $50, $40, and $30 for elk, deer, and pronghorn

Bison $4,400 yikes. Draw odds might get a little better I guess.

Private land shoot on mature bull is not much more than $4400 and is 100% odds for harvest unlike the WY hunt. $4400 for a permit to sit on the park border hoping a bull might leave the park is something a wealthy nonresident retiree with two or three weeks of idleness would love. No way I can do $4400 worth of justice on the WY bull bison hunt when is likely I would not be there on the day or days the bulls finally spill out of the park.

Beating a dead horse but still a lot of fun seeing a $5 Res increase and $115 NR increase on elk. However, I can't hunt them back in MS so shut and take my money Wyoming.

That's how I can make up the money. Thanks for the idea ShootsManyBullets! haha

Now to find a way to make up the $42 increase for the archery license.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that at just north of $600 for buck pronghorn tags in the Special draw that those will have much better odds than regular priced tags...

How isn't Buzz just going off on this? He seems to flip a lid if the Montana FWP breathes wrong, but with Wyoming hunters both resident and nonresident having to pay some of the highest license rates it's crickets and that's for OK opportunities on anything but antelope.

How isn't Buzz just going off on this? He seems to flip a lid if the Montana FWP breathes wrong, but with Wyoming hunters both resident and nonresident having to pay some of the highest license rates it's crickets and that's for OK opportunities on anything but antelope.

Chris D, I think it would be wise for you to read some of the threads on this bill.

While you were likely sitting on your ass, whining about fees, I was working on getting this bill amended to something that would have resulted in a revenue gain to the GF department. I volunteered my time and worked on this bill more than any other bill in the session. Keep in mind, that I'm not paid to do this. I have to flex my work schedule (which means working on my weekends and days off) and/or take vacation days to work on these things.

Also, I don't mind paying NR fees at all, never have. In particular when those fees go to game management that results in good hunting, healthy herds, etc. I also never object to paying fee increases to keep the GF/DOW/DNR agencies funded so they can continue to function.

The contrast between what Montana calls "management", and how Wyoming actually does conduct management is so stark, that its very tough to call what goes on with the MTFWP management at all. I'll pay for management, through increases in both R and NR fees.

Just so you know, the final version of this bill, after the CPI and GF Commission authority was stripped, along with the Hicks amendment failing by a few votes and was not attached, there was exactly one Wyoming Sportsman's group that opposed the final version of the bill...the one that I chair.

The reason that WYBHA opposed the bill was not over the fee increase...

Finally, you're so far off base with your comments about "OK opportunities on anything but antelope", its almost laughable. Seems our elk hunting opportunities for NR's are pretty popular...over 3k more applicants for full priced elk tags the last 3 years.

Of course, having correct management that results in bull-to-cow ratios in the general units near Laramie at 42 bulls per 100 cows and 49 calves per 100 cows...that doesn't hurt anything. Real management nets real results.

Too bad John Vore, MTFWP Game Management Bureau Chief, thinks even bull to cow ratios of 20 to 100 are "unattainable"...yeah, when you don't manage, that would be a true statement.

I wonder when the last time Montana had over 40% over-all success on elk was?

Last edited:
Buzz...prior to going on my first out of state hunt last year (to the great state of WY), I didn't fully appreciate what you meant in the stark contrasts of game management. What I experienced in WY vs. what I experience year after year in MT was 2 completely different stories. I couldn't agree more with you regarding the quality of experience WY offers...you guys have it good!

I know that I'll be paying to play still, except for bison. I'm praying I draw my cow tag this year, b/c I've been priced outta that game but wish all of those who can still afford it the best of luck!

Last edited:

Have you ever said to yourself "What's the most uninformed comment I could make on a hunting forum?"

Last edited:
Buzz...prior to going on my first out of state hunt last year (to the great state of WY), I didn't fully appreciate what you meant in the stark contrasts of game management. What I experienced in WY vs. what I experience year after year in MT was 2 completely different stories. I couldn't agree more with you regarding the quality of experience WY offers...you guys have it good!

I know that I'll be paying to play still, except for bison. I'm praying I draw my cow tag this year, b/c I've been priced outta that game but wish all of those who can still afford it the best of luck!

With only 10 NR tags this year its going to be pretty low odds.

I was just trying to get a point across of this is a hunting forum and not a political one where the same people constantly complain about the same issues. Montana has had some districts in the Bear Paws to name a few with a ration of 50 bulls to cows. Every state FWP has its issues including Wyoming and Montana. Most average nonresident can't afford to pay a guide to hunt in Wyomings wilderness or 4,000 for a bison hunt when they can do it on their own and a lot cheaper in other states. When politicians and rich landowners get involved it changes the rules for your average hunter. I'm retired military so I don't know what sitting on my butt means. Instead of complaining I am more of a solution based person so how do we change the FWP elk management policies or Wyoming hunting rules and costs more in line with the surrounding states.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back