Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

WY draw changes/unit 69 questions

redwoood

Hoping to get info on 2 questions in one post. First, I read a post on here a while back concerning the Wyoming draw system. The post mentioned the possibly of the amount of special draw licenses being increased and regular draw decreased. I've tried Google to find info on this to no avail. Any new news on this?

Second, looking for anyone who has any first hand experience in WY unit 69 for pronghorn. My wife and i have a few points built up and I'm looking for a low quota/quality hunt for her first trip. I know there are better units but trying to work with the point we have and we would like to hunt next season. Any general info via pm would be much appreciated.
Thanks

I sent you another PM. Hopefully it works this time...sorry about that!

Hoping to get info on 2 questions in one post. First, I read a post on here a while back concerning the Wyoming draw system. The post mentioned the possibly of the amount of special draw licenses being increased and regular draw decreased. I've tried Google to find info on this to no avail. Any new news on this?

Second, looking for anyone who has any first hand experience in WY unit 69 for pronghorn. My wife and i have a few points built up and I'm looking for a low quota/quality hunt for her first trip. I know there are better units but trying to work with the point we have and we would like to hunt next season. Any general info via pm would be much appreciated.
Thanks

The answer for you first question is the tag allocations between special and random stayed the same. The tiered licenses are the second biggest joke that the WOGA ever passed...only slightly less ridiculous than the wilderness guide law. My hope is that someday both of those laws will be repealed.

Wyoming BHA, concerned Sportsmen (many on this board), and a past legislator slammed the door on the bill that would have swapped the percentages. Since then, JM77 that posts on this board, has been in contact with some influential people and explained the ramifications of what that bill would do to hunters of average means, youth, the NAM, etc. Matter of fact, we talked about it yesterday while looking over a few hundred buck antelope.

If that bill is even thought about this session...we are much better connected, prepared, and involved to head that foolishness off before it gets legs again.

Its taken a few years, but the good old days of WOGA ramming crap bills through the legislature that negatively impact DIY NR and R hunters are largely over. At the very least, they will be burning large amounts of political capital when they make a run at stealing from the average hunter for the sake of their wealthy clients. Their motives and intentions will be clearly exposed.

A big part of the success we had in killing that bill, is because of platforms like hunttalk, that Randy so graciously provides us. Bad bills like that die because these issues are aired out for hunters to see, and our voices are ultimately heard.

Your second question I cant be of help for the specific unit you mentioned, but could possibly recommend other units if I knew how many points you have.

Buzz, I know we went round and round about this issue last year. I know you apposed the bill but this wouldn't just benefit outfitters and the wealthy...it would have benefited the WG&F (financially) and those that hunt onyourown and want better draw odds by paying a little more for tags. The price difference between the regular and special price tags is not that significant...in fact it's about the price of a case a beer/month. I myself am willing to skimp and save to hunt Wyo big game more often! Youth pay less for youth big game tags so it doesn't even affect them....as you mentioned above!

When the bill was introduced the WG&F was trying to figure out strategies for increasing revenue....which we all know has been in the toilet in recent years. If my memory is correct the WG&F has suffered severe cuts? From what I understand Wyo residents haven't been willing to increase tag fees. Where do you propose $ to support Wyo wildlife will come from?

For those in the know there is a lot more to this issue than mentioned in the post above.

Buzz, I know we went round and round about this issue last year. I know you apposed the bill but this wouldn't just benefit outfitters and the wealthy...it would have benefited the WG&F (financially) and those that hunt onyourown and want better draw odds by paying a little more for tags. The price difference between the regular and special price tags is not that significant...in fact it's about the price of a case a beer/month. I myself am willing to skimp and save to hunt Wyo big game more often! Youth pay less for youth big game tags so it doesn't even affect them....as you mentioned above!

When the bill was introduced the WG&F was trying to figure out strategies for increasing revenue....which we all know has been in the toilet in recent years. If my memory is correct the WG&F has suffered severe cuts? From what I understand Wyo residents haven't been willing to increase tag fees. Where do you propose $ to support Wyo wildlife will come from?

For those in the know there is a lot more to this issue than mentioned in the post above.

Actually Buzz did quite well explaining.

First, the amount of money isn't that critical. It would be rather easy to make up the difference eliminating 40/60.
Second it ABSOLUTELY effects youth hunters. Forty percent of all LQ licenses are only available to youth at full price and it's almost twice the regular price tag!! Youth DO NOT pay less for special priced licenses!
Third, don't worry yourself over G&F funding.(like you really do anyway) They will be funded, now and in the future.

It's obvious that this is a contravercial subject and both Buzz and JM are apposed to it. I guess we can agree to disagree whether the additional funding (which would benefit the WG&F) has any impact supporting Wyoming wildlife. I know a lot of onyourown Wyo nonres hunters that wouldn't mind paying just a little more for a tag with the opportunity of hunting Wyoming more often! If you are like me you would rather pay a little more for tags that you actually can hunt with rather than paying for pref pts the years you don't draw tags!

It's obvious that this is a contravercial subject and both Buzz and JM are apposed to it. I guess we can agree to disagree whether the additional funding (which would benefit the WG&F) has any impact supporting Wyoming wildlife. I know a lot of onyourown Wyo nonres hunters that wouldn't mind paying just a little more for a tag with the opportunity of hunting Wyoming more often! If you are like me you would rather pay a little more for tags that you actually can hunt with rather than paying for pref pts the years you don't draw tags!

I like how you totally avoided the youth issue Jim. What the heck as long as you can pay more to get a tag, what difference does it make. Right?

In forming the Blue Ribbon Task Force, Gov Mead made hunter recruitment one of the top mandates next to alternate fund sources. With the Dept audit happening, 40/60 will be under the microscope for sure. I doubt they'll be concerned with what you might draw next year Jim.

I guess we agree on something JM in regard to youth! I'm always up for giving youth more opportunity. It sounds like youth priced tags are issued in the Wyo res random draw as well as through the regular priced nonres tags? If Wyo wants to offer more opportunity for youth they need to take tags out of both the res and nonres pools and offer them in a separate youth drawing?

Youth can still apply in the special nonres draw but have to pay the higher price for a tag. In that respect tags would not be taken away from youth if there was a 40/60 split.

I'm with JM77 on this one the "youth" fee structure regarding the regular draw and special draw is messed up and not in favor of the non resident youth hunter. Or atleast not in favor of the blue collared working dad who would like to do everything possible to draw a good unit with no points for his just turned 12 yr old son for an antelope hunt. Recently been there. Just saying.

It's really not as much a matter of price for regular vs special nonres youth tags it comes down to a matter of having tags set aside specifically for youth hunters. If Buzz and JM are truely interested in opening up opportunities for both res and nonres youth they will lobby for a new structure where tags are set aside for youth! That obviously means fewer tags available for everyone other than youth in the draw (including Buzz, JM, you...and me!). I'm certainly glad JM and Buzz brought up the youth hunter issue!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back