Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

WY Deer Forecast

greatwhitebuffalo

Anybody heard anything on changes with population or habitat? I can't help but notice that around this time last year things didn't look this green and that there were deer in places where they're almost non-existant now. I would THINK that this is a positive indicator, but who knows...

Maybe @wytex knows better about the area where he's based and from longer time in the state, but from my limited travels around the state this spring and early summer (basically Cody to Kemmerer to Jackson) things seem to be pretty average. We definitely have needed moisture and lower temps in the forecast here in Lander, but I figure there haven't been any major red-flags other than it's the 3rd year since we lost the 16-17' fawn crop in areas. I'm jazzed with the deer I've been seeing.

Still looking very different from this time last year. These past few weeks couldn't have been drier and just not seeing deer in the same places. I'm betting this is going to turn the tides in some units.

Very dry this year, temps in the 90's for 6-7 weeks. No rain. fire bans on all G&F properties and State lands last time I heard.

Those of you reporting rain, it did not happen in central Wyoming and as shootbrownelk mentioned we have had hot dry weather all summer. Last year we were green into July and this year we were dried up in early June. Shrubs seem to be doing ok, who knows one way or the other how it effected antler growth, they are just about done anyway. Rain now won't make any difference with that.

If my yard, in Southern Minnesota, is dryer than a popcorn fart, than I can only imagine how dry it is out there!

Hope that bodes well for walking in the prairie! Last year, with every step I took, a pound of mud would cling to my boot.

Its super dry in southern part of the state but i've seen some pretty decent deer numbers with fawns.

Just my $0.02. WY and SE MT have been dry, but I think mule deer are adapted to that. Last winter was pretty normal, at least in E MT, so does had access to forage and fawns should have had good weight. I don’t know if any research has been done on how drought affects antler growth. Someone may have data on that. Generally I think the eastern front should be fine. Call the biologist for your region for better info. And post it so the biologist doesn’t get 80 phone calls. 😀

There are some serious drought issues across the west right now. Its not good and rain is needed badly. Could be some really bad fires this fall to deal with.

1597066555445.png

I like this one:

The smoke intensity really helps see the magnitude of the current fires. It can really affect a hunt plan. Like for example: If you are planning on hunting archery elk northeast of grand junction....good luck.

Still very dry around here, some hit and miss rains but not much all over.
Forest looks ok where we've been cutting firewood.
Sybille Canyon is as dry as I've seen in many years. Drainages have some grass but not much else.
Deer have been using the meadows where we irrigate and the garden, they seem to like the onion tops.:mad:
Good crop of apples on the few trees and berries look ok on cherry and other bushes and trees.

Fires are starting to really pop up now, careful folks.

There are some serious drought issues across the west right now. Its not good and rain is needed badly. Could be some really bad fires this fall to deal with.

View attachment 149937
Looks like my "pretty average" comment was kind of right on for the areas I've spend the most time in. Doesn't look too great in the center of the state, like @JM77 said. I'm excited to see critters start hitting the ground to get a feel for everything overall! Archery antelope starts Saturday. 😊

Wyo Game and Fish just released their hunting forecast for the year.

Wyo Game and Fish just released their hunting forecast for the year.

Mixed bag of info here, for sure!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back