WY Backpack Elk

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16014

With a recent job change and birth of our third child, time off has been a little scarce this fall. I work hard to be efficient and put myself in a good position to harvest animals with minimal drama.

Three days before the rifle elk opener I spotted a bull good enough to convince me to change where I was planning to go. He was remote and I didn't have any other strong 6x6's scouted so I decided to chase him.

I made the long backpack trip in the night before the opener. Lots of miles and lots of up. At daylight I was right were I wanted to be. Elk were talking a little and I was working the ridge I'd spotted him on. At that moment a guided outfit blew past me on horses, fully knowing where and what I was doing. I kept hunting and glassed an ok 6x6 on a far finger ridge.

I hustled to make the stalk and get a better look. I put him in the spotter at 950 yds and he was good enough, but feeding into the timber in a tough spot to stalk. I started making the run and got distracted by a smaller bull across the canyon. I was thinking about getting the spotter out when I faintly heard a group of elk moving below me at @ 100 yds. I could tell there was no route they could take that wouldn't provide a shot so I just waited. Spike, cow, cow, cow, cow, bull. I judged him quick and could tell he had some mass and character.

First shot went through the shoulder blade and into the vitals. I hit him again in the back of the neck as he did the death walk. About half way through butchering I started rationing water, having not planned to hunt this far from my camp. Trying to save miles and get to water more quickly I bailed of the ridge through some brutally thick, steep, cliffy terrain. Mostly I learned which way not to go, though I did find a spring for a nice rest.

In an effort to save some future suffering I took a full dry bag and my hunting gear out on the first trip. A friend offered to help haul meat and we set out the next morning to get the rest of the meat/antlers/gear. After a 15 mile 4,000' day two it was all done but the butchering.

Never found the big bull. I've been trying to decide if it's a reasonable enough hunt to repeat next year, we'll see what next summer turns up for cervid candidates.

P9260055_zpswdbfnbtc.jpg

Horses not included.

P9260076_zps1tyvvy5g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to get it done! That is a pretty dang nice bull in my book. Take it with that new GAP?
Nope, I ended up hunting with my .260ai and 139 scenars for all WY species this year. I had some load workup hiccups with the 7-08, it probably won't see hunting time until next spring. I really like how it turned out though, I think it could end up being my go to rifle.

What a great bull. Way to put in the work and make it happen buddy. It's pretty fun to watch what you're able to connect with year in and year out.

A good friend or two is/are sure nice to have when you knock one down a little off the beaten path. Congrats!

Great bull, congrats! Nothing better than a good friend/pack mule.
Indeed! I repaid the favor the next weekend and helped him kill and pack out his first buck. I'll throw a picture up in the deer forum when I get to it.

Back