MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WPG Pup $$$?

DH- PM somebody before you shoot another dog. Most would be happy to come pick it up. I got a lab that came from a breeder from the pound. That dog did a lot damage to my sprinkler system and backyard the first 3 months. He was a mess. I loved him, worked with him and by 15 months he was one of my best companion/hunting dogs. Unfortunately the big C got him before his 3rd Bday. Miss that dog.

My dad was the same as you when I was growing up. Not sure if that is a generational thing or what. But I felt my dad needed put down for his actions several times more than any of his hunting dogs...

There is a high quality griffon breeder about 30 minutes from our house and we seriously considered picking one up but after a lot of research we decided to go with a GWP. The griffons were priced at 1800 for male and 2000 for females. They are navhpa trained and certified parents. I have 2 friends who have 4 griffons and they are all excellent dogs who came from reputable breeders and all were $2000+. It seems like I’m the past 5+ years griffons have become very popular in our area

No 5 buckets, an extension chord, and 3 heat lamps. Never matured in 1.7 years. Bad coat and hyper.Not quite breeding stock by any standards. If they don't meet breed standards and aren't worth keeping around they are gone. I've killed a few horses after a decent attempt to make something out of them.
There are rescue organizations specifically for hunting dogs. The animals go to homes with families, not breeders. Perhaps consider that option next time.

I too have had horses that didn't work out. Put shoes on the pain in the arse and sent him to the auction ring. Shoes gave him a chance to get past the meat bidders and some guy with a pack string bought him. I told him afterwards to throw the bugger in the middle and he should work okay. The other three developed incurable medical issues and went to the cannery. That really bothered me too. But without the acreage or equipment to bury them, it was the only option.

I paid $1,000 for a wpg a year ago. I've raised wpg since 1968 so I know what a good dog looks like. I tried all the patience I could muster but when it ate the third electric heated water bucket, it was all I could stand and I shot her. Most satifying day of 2020. Just wanted you to know that $1000 buys you a piece of crap. Plan accordingly. Is it right? No! But this might take a while.
You’re a dick. None of my dogs would have ever lasted based on your standards. It wasn’t even 2. Still a pup. You should not own animals.

I paid $1,000 for a wpg a year ago. I've raised wpg since 1968 so I know what a good dog looks like. I tried all the patience I could muster but when it ate the third electric heated water bucket, it was all I could stand and I shot her. Most satifying day of 2020. Just wanted you to know that $1000 buys you a piece of crap. Plan accordingly. Is it right? No! But this might take a while.

"I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the "lower animals" (so called) and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me."

-Mark Twain

One pearly day in early May I walked upon the sand And saw, say half a mile away, a man with gun in hand. A dog was cowering to his will as slow he sought to creep Upon a dozen ducks so still they seemed to be asleep.

When like a streak the dog dashed out, the ducks flashed up in flight. The fellow gave a savage shout and cursed with all his might. Then as I stood somewhat amazed and gazed with eyes agog, With bitter rage his gun he raised and blazed and shot the dog.

You know how dogs can yelp with pain; its blood soaked in the sand, And yet it crawled to him again, and tried to lick his hand. "Forgive me Lord for what I've done," it seemed as if it said, But once again he raised his gun -- this time he shot it dead.

What could I do? What could I say? 'Twas such a lonely place. Tongue-tied I watched him stride away, I never saw his face. I should have bawled the bastard out, a yellow dog he slew. But worse, he proved beyond a doubt that - I was yellow too.

Robert Service

Comes to mind...You are an asshat and should not be on any hunting sites. What is wrong with you that makes you think it’s ok to shoot a dog and then brag about it?

A thought on dog prices after a few bourbons:

I’ve really only had two dogs as an adult. A mutt Borador off the Flathead Reservation my wife(then girlfriend) picked up for $40 that crossed the divide a few years ago, and a not-pure bread lab I bought for $400 shortly after that.

When I was shopping around for the lab I was also entertaining a Chesapeake, which is what I had growing up, and my wife was astounded that people would pay upwards of a thousand dollars for a dog. But when we looked back on the value that Borador from the reservation brought to our lives, thousands of dollars would’ve been a steal. The lab is now a family member and hunting partner, and if she died yesterday and had cost 10x what I paid for her she’d have been worth it.

No real point to this other than the opinion that a good dog is damn near priceless. I’d pay 2 grand for another day with that mutt from the reservation. And I mean it.

No matter what ya pay, I hope you find a dog you look back on and the price doesn’t even figure into the memories.

Last edited:
Do WPG test through the JGV system? I know there's a few german breed clubs that test through it. I have a 5 month old Draht I paid 1800 for which was the first time I've ever spent more than 200 for a dog. Knowing that the puppy entire pups pedigree has passed a natural ability and and utility test, genetic testing, x rays, ect made me feel less apprehensive. The breeders really do put a lot of work, time, and miles into just getting their dogs certified to breed. After seeing how much goes into these dogs I feel 1800 is is a pretty good value.

I also have a 8 year old weimaraner lab mix we got of craigslist for $20 that is a just a great retriever, steady, and rabbit hunting machine despite absolutely horrible or non existent training. So there's that too. If 2000 is within your budget you have a lot of options. I wouldn't rush either, maybe look around and find a breeder that you really want a dog from.

i have a litter of wirehairs due any day, tremendous bloodline, repeat breeding hard point, natural back , retreive and swim like labs, health gaurantee, ect , 700.00 a long time nstra navhda judge has the male, i have female, this guy has judged hundreds and hundreds of dogs, i hqve one of the only females he will breed to,
Where are you located?

Seven hundred bucks is a good price. Better jump on it. But I still think you're nuts not picking a Lab.

east montana
You better PM him. I drove from NW Ontario to central ND at SD border when I picked up my Fr Britt pup nine years ago. And then again four years later to pick up this Lab (Britt breeder owned her dad for training work). It was a nice road trip ... but not midwinter either. Good luck.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back