Would you go anyway?

Cammy

I posted last week about needing a GPS for hunting with my 83 year old Father in Law. Since then he has started radiation treatments for prostate cancer and the decision has been made that he will not be able to go on the planned hunt. Kudo's for the nameless state that will refund his tag and restore his points because of it.

We applied as a party and were drawn together and because he is returning the tag for medical reasons, I am not required to return my tag as well. I can still go hunt. Feeling a bit selfish for wanting to go without him. I could probably return my tag as well and get my tag fee and points back and apply next year with him or could just make the trip.

Am I an A-hole for going? I saw some dandy's last year and have a good feeling they will still be where I left them. Your thoughts?

Go. I'm betting your FIL will agree. It's only going to get harder drawing LE tags in the west.

Well kind of a bunch going on. Going next year with FIL when he gets healed up would be a fun trip. But also you aren’t guaranteed tomorrow either. Also if you go this year you would have another trip getting to know the area better and could help FIL next year fill his tag and be able to commit fully to helping him. It’s a tough spot but we only get so much time on this earth, I kick myself all the time for the trips I didn’t go on really regret not going to Africa with a very good friend who ended up passing away from lung cancer not long after getting back. Wish I could go on one more hunt with my friend

I think you are being considerate to want to back out for his sake but if I was him I’d want you to go. Like another posted said earlier. I’d discuss it with him. If he wants you to go then go and make the best of it for him.

I would make the trip happen then plan on return as soon as he is up to it. I bet that would make him happy all things considered

Thanks for all the input. I had a tag in the same area (different species) last year and saw some nice animals in the area so that is why I encouraged him to put in for the zone. It was our 3rd choice. Easy area to hunt that I hope is overlooked by the majority of persons that also received the tag. At 83 the old man can't cover much ground anymore so this zone was perfect.

Will be packing up and doing the hunt solo this year but will feel weird not having to worry about him getting lost somewhere. I will be sure to take lots of pictures of the hunt to share with him when I get back.

I would have never considered putting in for tags out of state if it weren't for the old man. When he eventually departs this world, I am not sure that I will continue to put in for out of state hunts like this. Maybe I am just feeling a bit melancholy over the fact that he won't be going with me and that I am realizing that his next tag drawn will probably be his last.

Thanks again for all of your support.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back