Worst Places in WY

I’d have to imagine a lot of Wyoming has high suicide rates in the winter.
There’s a stretch between Torrington and Lingle that used to have about three billboards that summed up Wyomings problem neatly and concisely in a few miles. One for suicide, one for teen pregnancy/adoption options, and one for meth.

It used to make me depressed when I went through that stretch on my way to go waterfowl hunting…now I couldn’t even tell you if they’re still there.

I liked Rock Springs it has a weird feel to it that's just up my alley Walmart was like a free Freak show. Casper is also nice you boys got to much culture come down to SE Oklahoma or western Arkansas I'll show you some Sh#$holes. Anyone ever heard of Elohim city Oklahoma?

The National 9 Hotel in Gillete, WY is the worst hotel I've ever been in. I am a cheap person and I almost always get the cheapest hotel I can find, and I very rarely regret going as cheap as possible. I was an athlete in college and spent years staying in the grossest and cheapest places all over the midwest and have been been mostly unbothered. The National 9 actually grossed me out.

No pets allowed - dogs barked all night
Non smoking room - room reeked of cigarettes
Everything was trashed, bathroom was dirty.

Just don't stay there. Stay anywhere else or sleep in your vehicle.

I once tried to eat a pizza at the Shakey's Pizza in Rawlins. The corporate chain had already pulled the plug and gone bankrupt, this might have been the last one in the US. They should have closed it down with corporate. Cardboard, ketchup and a sprinkling of cheese would have been tastier than that pizza.

No one has mentioned the bustling metropolis of Shoshoni. They lost 30% of their population from 2010 to 2020, and the only real reason to go to Shoshoni is no more. "Yellowstone Drug" moved its shakes/malts and souvenir operation out of the historic building that it used to reside in, moving instead into a small singlewide trailer before finally calling it quits. The shakes were outstanding back in the day, and I lament its demise every time I drive through that ghosting town.

I once tried to eat a pizza at the Shakey's Pizza in Rawlins. The corporate chain had already pulled the plug and gone bankrupt, this might have been the last one in the US. They should have closed it down with corporate. Cardboard, ketchup and a sprinkling of cheese would have been tastier than that pizza.

No one has mentioned the bustling metropolis of Shoshoni. They lost 30% of their population from 2010 to 2020, and the only real reason to go to Shoshoni is no more. "Yellowstone Drug" moved its shakes/malts and souvenir operation out of the historic building that it used to reside in, moving instead into a small singlewide trailer before finally calling it quits. The shakes were outstanding back in the day, and I lament its demise every time I drive through that ghosting town.
Gillette and Rawlins are it for bigger towns.

As mentioned Shoshoni is rough.
You guys have obviously never had the giant sugar cookies at the corner gas station in Shoshoni! To die for. And speaking of gas stations, they're building a new one right next door! Can't wait!

Edit: And don't even get me started on the people seeing in Shoshoni. I'll never forget the Lingle cop that pulled into the gas station...knee high hooker boots and pink handcuffs.

Last edited:
i left laramie one dark winter night in a 72 chevy 4x4, lifted 35in tires, kids truck, i was a kid, somehow go on the freeway off a back road because the gates were down, about daylight i slid backwards down the hill into evanston, thru the gates, at least i think it was evanston, 4wd all the way wondering how come no cars on hwy, seems evanston was pretty bad place at daylight trying to buy gas and food, never been back,,,,, next winter i spent alot of time in green river and dutch john , fly fishing and coyote hunting with a buddy, that was an interesting winter,,,,, strike anywere along that route out of bounds also,,,,

The replies here are missing the potential of places that nobody likes. I’ve lived all over the country in my life and most of them were liked by everyone to the point where they all suck now. Places despised by others are therefore interesting to me.

I liked Rock Springs it has a weird feel to it that's just up my alley Walmart was like a free Freak show. Casper is also nice you boys got to much culture come down to SE Oklahoma or western Arkansas I'll show you some Sh#$holes. Anyone ever heard of Elohim city Oklahoma?
Never been to Elohim, but spent enough time in Jay to know I didn't want to travel any further south.

The National 9 Hotel in Gillete, WY is the worst hotel I've ever been in. I am a cheap person and I almost always get the cheapest hotel I can find, and I very rarely regret going as cheap as possible. I was an athlete in college and spent years staying in the grossest and cheapest places all over the midwest and have been been mostly unbothered. The National 9 actually grossed me out.

No pets allowed - dogs barked all night
Non smoking room - room reeked of cigarettes
Everything was trashed, bathroom was dirty.

Just don't stay there. Stay anywhere else or sleep in your vehicle.
We stayed at the Nasty 9 in Gillette, it is terrible.

The worst hotel I’ve stayed at was the Tea Pot Inn in Edgerton

We booked a Hotel in Rawlins in October. Obviously - based on our clothing- we were hunting. Me, my wife and son.

After checking in with the rude, distracted, shady, bedraggled, high-as-hell lady at the front, who kept shooting furtive glances at the twitchy, scabby, rotten meth-head sitting on the floor in the corner…I walked out to the truck, told my wife the situation, and we drove straight over to the Hilton and got another room.

I’ve never got the Heebie-Jeebies that bad before, and didn’t relish the idea of sitting up all night with a rifle pointed at the door.

right now, i would struggle to live anywhere but laramie.

i would personally make a triangle, with one line of that triangle extending from the southeast corner of the state connecting to casper, from casper to new castle/the state line and the state line from there back to the southeast corner.

for me living anywhere in that contents of that triangle would be the worst place to live for lots of reasons. note, casper would not technically fall in the contents of that triangle.

very honorable mention for everything along i80 from elk mountain to rock springs

View attachment 263104
It could always be worse..you ever been to Chicago?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back