Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Worst outdoor fear!

cjcj

Ariz. climber found dead<LI class="wnItem feature News story priority-10 even even-7 collapsed last displaySizeId-10" style="DISPLAY: none" itemscope="" itemtype="http://schema.org/NewsArticle" jQuery17106016930386262681="11">

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - A Tucson climber was found dead, hanging from a southern Arizona cliff in his climbing gear and covered with bee stings.
The Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office says 55-year-old Steven Johnson was found in the Santa Rita Mountains south of Tucson late Monday.

Cause of death hasn't been determined yet, but officials say Johnson was covered with stings when he was found.
Johnson was last seen Friday when he went hiking, and friends became worried when he didn't go to work on Monday.

Search and rescue teams found both Johnson and his dog dead. The dog was on the top of the cliff.
Sheriff's Lt. Raoul Rodriguez says Johnson may have disturbed bees by hammering a spike into the cliff.

One thing I hate about early season archery are the bees and snakes!! That really sucks and had to be a horrific end for the man and his dog.

If he was allergic, the end came quick and there probably was no pain except for a metallic taste in his mouth. Have been hauled twice by ambulance because of bee stings. Now I go nowhere without epi-pen.

birddog, I've been told an epi pen will buy you 15 to 30 minutes and allow you to get a histamine blocker in you then the effect of the epi pen wears off. Make sure you carry benedryl with your epi pen as it will buy you the additional time needed for bee venom to get metabolized.

birddog, I've been told an epi pen will buy you 15 to 30 minutes and allow you to get a histamine blocker in you when the effect of the epi pen wears off. Make sure you carry benedryl with your epi pen as it will buy you the additional time needed for bee venom to get metabolized.

Using my best Ed McMahon voice......You are correct sir!!

The epi pen ($120 each at my pharmacy) is a fast acting, short lasting intervention. The
2-pack kit comes with a practice unit (no needle, but feels and sounds like the real deal) which takes some practice to feel like you could administer the medicine when it counts. The labeling also states the storage temperature of (IIRC) 50-85 degrees F.......just what the interior of my van always stays at in mid July in Kansas.:hump:

Using my best Ed McMahon voice......You are correct sir!!

The epi pen ($120 each at my pharmacy) is a fast acting, short lasting intervention. The
2-pack kit comes with a practice unit (no needle, but feels and sounds like the real deal) which takes some practice to feel like you could administer the medicine when it counts. The labeling also states the storage temperature of (IIRC) 50-85 degrees F.......just what the interior of my van always stays at in mid July in Kansas.:hump:

Yeah you should always keep that on your person and not expose it to extreme temps. Don't store it somewhere like your glovebox, and if it becomes discolored that is a sign that it has lost its integrity and most likely its full effectiveness.

That is such bad luck, life is so fragile.

I was also hauled off to hospital with a wasp allergy some years ago, and the problem with the epipen is storage, it would go everywhere with me as i was either shooting or fishing, and it got hot so even if i needed it the thing probably would have been ineffective.

But, i had a long desensitized treatment at my local hospital, this slowly builds up your immunity to the venom, in the end i was getting stung in effect twice, but all under close observation in case the worst happened, thankfully i havent been stung since, but others have and they didnt suffer any allergic reaction, thank god for the NHS in the UK!

Cheers

Richard

Yep, have the benedryl also. First time they got me I got so confused within seconds that I squirted the stuff out without getting it into my system. Got the metal taste and it was lights out. Luckily the ambulance was only minutes away and woke up on the way to hospital. Now have 1 in the house and 1 in my truck, and cannot go early season trout fishing without someone along. Also had the desensitize treatment, Still makes a fellow nervous around bees. Almost have to replace the epi pens at least once a year, but worth the cost imo.

Getting gored by an enraged, glass eyed, bull elk is an ok way to go. But getting stung by a little bee and have your wind pipe close off is no way to go.
I didn't ever think about the temp range effecting an epi pen...glad I read this post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avidcork
Back