Wolves Have Been Released

There are only forum/app posts with secondhand information. There will not be an official statement from the agency beyond 'Grand County'. Someone will almost certainly match the background of the still photos/screen captures of the release site with a landscape but even that probably wont be definitive unless they left some metadata in a photo somewhere.

I’d say its pretty concrete where they were dumped…View attachment 307176View attachment 307177
And the next step is achieved :)

Look, I agree that looks like the spot but again it’s not at all definitive.

The rumor mill is way faster than facts. Already the narrative has gone from Sheephorn to blacktail and now maybe two more near eagles nest.

People are going to run with the rumors. That’s an extremely high-use recreational area. Probably all everyone will talk about on the river next summer. How many dummies are going to start carrying rifles in their rafts this summer (and maybe take potshots at whatever sort-of-canine looking thing runs across the hillside or along the bank)? How many tactical chads are going to start tromping around every ridge in the river corridor looking for woofs?

Again - the release criteria and the circumstantial evidence appear to correlate, but in 48 hours it’s already been ‘decided’.

Any studies on an apex predator slowing spread of CWD? Seems like an infected animal that starts to feel a little "woozy" would be taken out first and thus stopping its ability to spread the prions to others through direct contact. Of course the prions remain in the environment, but just trying to find a positive to this whole thing.

Is that a serious comment?

Something tells me you have no clue what your talking about, and you got all your information from (insert your favorite influencer). Spend some time in the woods and form your own thoughts.

If a wolf was charging me lol. holy smokes. You sound like someone who has zero experience hunting in a habitat around wolves or grizzly's.
1. I have no influencer.
2. You never answered my question, what would you do if a grizzly was charging you?
2. I was born and raised in a small town, adjacent to many national forests, in western Colorado. I've been in the "woods" practically my entire life.
3. I have never hunted where there are known populations of wolves or grizzlies; and, I don't intend to.

1. I have no influencer.
2. You never answered my question, what would you do if a grizzly was charging you?
2. I was born and raised in a small town, adjacent to many national forests, in western Colorado. I've been in the "woods" practically my entire life.
3. I have never hunted where there are known populations of wolves or grizzlies; and, I don't intend to.
Wolves are not going to charge you. The wolves I’ve seen, and it’s been quite a few, are moving away from humans once they know the humans are nearby.

I think you're nailing a big part of the issue, not all for sure, but the majority of wealthy hunters live in a different world than the rest of us, they won't run out of opportunity in their lifetime because they can write the check for whatever experience they want, to some extent they are in direct opposition to the interest of the general hunting public because they can tilt regs and allocations in their favor, using money to generate more opportunity, more outfitter tags, more exclusive areas...

there really isn't an incentive for the wealthy hunter to help out the everyman at their own expense, and in a lot of cases the average public land DIY guy probably makes it even less appealing, taking every opportunity to sling mud at someone with more means using it to improve their hunting, when, in I would bet almost all cases, they would be doing the exact same thing if they could afford it...

In all honesty the hunting community looks like the current political situation, we have the ends of the bell curve shouting so loud about things like wolves and team Cam Hanes or team Matt Rinella that the much larger majority in the middle that just wants access to wild places and wild things is completely drowned out...
Nailed with that last paragraph

Those things cost hunters and pro hunting groups money. Is that a good use of limited resources?

Question for everyone:
How are the groups we are “fighting” so well-funded?

Two focused areas.

Hunters have mostly been for the support of conservation efforts to improve the typical game species people hold most interest.

I.E. RMBS, RMEF, DU, heck, for that matter TU...

Difference?

Earth Justice, Defenders of Wildlife, Center for BS Diversity, Howling for Justice - These organizations gain world funding as they are focused on the funding of State and Federal injunctions, ballot box biology, $$$ to fight with a focus that, in the top five Hunters are their target.

A different global Orange in the wolrd of many small apples.

If only half the ‘gram warriors reposting that release video would have been involved when it actually mattered, maybe the vote would have had a different outcome…
Many believe their vote does not matter much anymore, and it is hard for me not to share some of their opinion on the matter. I am no longer living in the region, but I know many in the urban and rural parts of the state and I value their opinions on the matter!

I don’t see how the “mountain” part has much merit… like I asked Art, what does elk hanging on private land near pivots have to do with wolves being present?
The things you don't see or haven't seen, have made a huge impact to public land elk hunting in the mountains.

They elk are on private ag fields and in big gaggles in the open because they don't want to be in the mtns where the wolves have and continue to pick them off. Elk behavior has changed. Wolves love to hunt lone elk in rougher forest country. The elk that used to creep away from bigger herds after the rut into the mountains for seclusion do not do that anymore if they want to survive, even on zero snow years like this year. Bummer deal for some folks that would prefer to have a handful in the "mountains" in the fall.

And the next step is achieved :)

Look, I agree that looks like the spot but again it’s not at all definitive.

The rumor mill is way faster than facts. Already the narrative has gone from Sheephorn to blacktail and now maybe two more near eagles nest.

People are going to run with the rumors. That’s an extremely high-use recreational area. Probably all everyone will talk about on the river next summer. How many dummies are going to start carrying rifles in their rafts this summer (and maybe take potshots at whatever sort-of-canine looking thing runs across the hillside or along the bank)? How many tactical chads are going to start tromping around every ridge in the river corridor looking for woofs?

Again - the release criteria and the circumstantial evidence appear to correlate, but in 48 hours it’s already been ‘decided’.
Are you sure about that? I’m fairly certain triangulating a position with obvious visual landmarks and intersecting lines will put me within a couple hundred feet at most, enough I’d be willing to put $$ that I could drive to this exact spot. It also happens be be a large mix of state and private lands, which meets the requirements for the release..IMG_5226.jpegIMG_5227.jpeg

The things you don't see or haven't seen, have made a huge impact to public land elk hunting in the mountains.

They elk are on private ag fields and in big gaggles in the open because they don't want to be in the mtns where the wolves have and continue to pick them off. Elk behavior has changed. Wolves love to hunt lone elk in rougher forest country. The elk that used to creep away from bigger herds after the rut into the mountains for seclusion do not do that anymore if they want to survive, even on zero snow years like this year. Bummer deal for some folks that would prefer to have a handful in the "mountains" in the fall.
This is already happening in CO because a bunch of the ranchland is fragmented and not hunted anymore, and even some of the big ranches aren't hunting at all, throw the wolves in and it's just going to accelerate the Montanazation of CO... people worrying about wolves eating the elk should be probably more concerned with there being plenty of elk, but all of them are off limits...

Is that a serious comment?

Something tells me you have no clue what your talking about, and you got all your information from (insert your favorite influencer). Spend some time in the woods and form your own thoughts.

If a wolf was charging me lol. holy smokes. You sound like someone who has zero experience hunting in a habitat around wolves or grizzly's.
I just wish I had balls that you think you have and I wish I could be as macho as you think you are.

Personally I'm fine with the voters deciding. Agreed they don't have to interact with them if they don't want to, but it's not my place to decide who vote on an issue like this, ya know?

Like I don't go to school or interact with the school, but if I have the chance to vote on school expansion I will. Just cause I won't use it doesn't mean I don't get a say
Exactly the problem!

The wealthy hunters want to stop plebs from hunting, they want to privatize public lands, and build ridiculous trophy rooms full of sheep in homage to their fortunes.
We just need to find another trailhead it's not hard..

No comment, other than if a wolf was charging you, what the hell would you do... stand there like fool and let him attack you?? Guess you'd do the same with a grizzly!!!
There is no wolf charging you. I’ve hunted them a shitload and they will be headed the other direction when they see you. Contrary to many of the Facebook posts out there….the chances of a life and death situation with a wolf is very tiny.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonasababy
Back