Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Winter kill update

I am from PA. Grew up hunting whitetails on my neighbor's dairy farm in the 80s. Always dreamed of taking a guided hunt for mule deer in Wyoming and finally did it in 2006. When my brother and I arrived at camp on September 14th 2006 we found 100 searchers, blood hounds, and two helicopters who had all been pounding our hunt area for a week searching for a lost rock climber. The outfitter never bothered to call us and tell us about the situation and we didn't know what to do. The search party found the climber's body on the day we arrived and they all left. The outfitter told us we would have a good hunt since the commotion was over. Not so. We didn't see a squirrel or a bird for seven days let alone a deer.
Fast forward to March 19, 2023. I have 15 mule deer points in Wyoming and in 2020 I put down a $1000 deposit with a well known guide in Western Wyoming (who at that time was booked through 2023). The outfitter called me last year to ask if I wanted to hunt a year early due to other cancellations. Due to my situation I declined the 2022 hunt but committed to hunting with him in 2023. Given the current situation with this epic winter and reports of deer and antelope dying by the 1000s I am considering postponing my hunt yet another year if the outfitter will give me the option. Only I am 54 and I think things may get worse before they get better and it could be years before I have a good chance at a real wall hanger. Any thoughts? Hunt this year no matter what the WGF reports say in April or hold off and save my 15 points? Thanks for your comment s.

Hitman, I don't have any info to help and wish you the best but your story sounds like the HEE HAW skit about luck. Hope your's changes to good soon.

Hitman, I don't have any info to help and wish you the best but your story sounds like the HEE HAW skit about luck. Hope your's changes to good soon.
My dad loved Roy Clark and Buck Owens and he used to sit us in front of the TV to watch Hee Haw in the 70s. I remember that song "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all"....Good memories. Too funny. Thanks for the comments.

I am from PA. Grew up hunting whitetails on my neighbor's dairy farm in the 80s. Always dreamed of taking a guided hunt for mule deer in Wyoming and finally did it in 2006. When my brother and I arrived at camp on September 14th 2006 we found 100 searchers, blood hounds, and two helicopters who had all been pounding our hunt area for a week searching for a lost rock climber. The outfitter never bothered to call us and tell us about the situation and we didn't know what to do. The search party found the climber's body on the day we arrived and they all left. The outfitter told us we would have a good hunt since the commotion was over. Not so. We didn't see a squirrel or a bird for seven days let alone a deer.
Fast forward to March 19, 2023. I have 15 mule deer points in Wyoming and in 2020 I put down a $1000 deposit with a well known guide in Western Wyoming (who at that time was booked through 2023). The outfitter called me last year to ask if I wanted to hunt a year early due to other cancellations. Due to my situation I declined the 2022 hunt but committed to hunting with him in 2023. Given the current situation with this epic winter and reports of deer and antelope dying by the 1000s I am considering postponing my hunt yet another year if the outfitter will give me the option. Only I am 54 and I think things may get worse before they get better and it could be years before I have a good chance at a real wall hanger. Any thoughts? Hunt this year no matter what the WGF reports say in April or hold off and save my 15 points? Thanks for your comment s.
Hunt now. It will get worse before it gets better.

Just go hunt, dump those points and stop buying points.

I counted 25 dead deer along a 10 mile stretch of Hwy 189 between I-80 and Kemmerer yesterday. There’s been more deer wintering in that area this year than I’ve ever seen before. I’ve been seeing hundreds each trip thru. It was pretty foggy thru there yesterday morning, so I couldn’t get a sense of how many were still on the landscape, but the magpies and vultures looked fat and happy.

As a nonresident it is hard to draw a tag in Wyoming without points.
I agree, but until sports people take a stand against this money grab they will continue. Too bad people are mostly about themselves and not for the greater good of all because if they were, we would all stand together to get these states to put this points crap to bed and stop the money grabs. Unfortunately I can't fix what I see as selfish people. :)

Will this harsh winter impact bear hunting? specifically the fall season in WY? I'm looking at my options with the deer and pronghorn having such a hard time.

That's a tough one. You can't predict the future. NR tags will very likey be cut and you'll be sitting neat the top, but there might not be any deer left to shoot when you get there. You could also be crippled up or something else might prevent you from going.

I'd roll the dice and go sooner rather than later. Don't get hung up on the idea that a lot of points will buy you a big deer. It's not true, it gives you a better chance to hunt in areas where big deer live. Lots of sad posts every year and disappointed hunters burning lots of points and not fulfilling their dreams.

Winter kill generally gets the young and old. If you wait you may have to wait more than 3-4 years for next years young to get to maturity.

There will never be more animals than there are today.

There will never be less hunters than there are today.

Waiting Is gamble.
Not true but feels that way.
-Since 1980 wyomings elk population has effectively doubled.
-Same time period nation wide hunters decreased from 17 millionish to around 15 where its held steady basically last 20 years. Dont get influenced by stats that present data as % of population.

Problem is people want and feel they are entitled to hunt animals that are limited in avalibility and have been influenced by information availability.

That's a tough one. You can't predict the future. NR tags will very likey be cut and you'll be sitting neat the top, but there might not be any deer left to shoot when you get there. You could also be crippled up or something else might prevent you from going.

I'd roll the dice and go sooner rather than later. Don't get hung up on the idea that a lot of points will buy you a big deer. It's not true, it gives you a better chance to hunt in areas where big deer live. Lots of sad posts every year and disappointed hunters burning lots of points and not fulfilling their dreams.

Bambistew. I really appreciate your input. Sounds like good advice. At the end of the day I'm just hoping for a great Wyoming hunting adventure with a good guide who can provide an above average opportunity to harvest a nice buck. The experience and opportunity to get some great photos and make some good memories far outweighs the desire to shoot a trophy mule deer. In fact I'm happy to eat my tag rather than shoot a 160 inch buck and it would be fun just to see several bucks each day and glass the up from a distance in high country. Still, getting a shot at a 185 inch buck or better is the goal with so many points. I guess I just thought the high points would give me a better chance at seeing a big buck in a limited quota area. Thanks again. Still pondering whether to hold off one more year. My cousin says all the oldest class bucks and fawns will be the first to die from a really hard winter.

Back