Winter kill update

How has winter kill been in Utah's Wasatch mountains? ive heard alot about colorado and Wyoming

WY just yesterday further reduced pronghorn tags under the emergency stipulation.
Managers are finding the pneumonia and winter kill were worse than expected with 75% of collared does deceased.
A week right before the deadline. Sucks but good move.

How has winter kill been in Utah's Wasatch mountains? ive heard alot about colorado and Wyoming
I haven’t seen any biologist reports yet, but from what I witnessed, the elk just migrated further down into the irrigated land and seemed to fair ok other than above normal roadkills crossing the highways they don’t normally cross. Deer, on the other hand, seemed to be struggling with predators taking out a lot of them. I’ve seen probably a dozen or more carcasses when out walking the dog near my place.

Couldn't you just leave them in and save $30? I mean, if there are no licenses available....

Yeah, you're right, I could have not done anything, but either way I lose the $15 fee for each application. I guess the reason I did withdraw them is I wasn't sure if they might refund the $15 fee. I knew if I stayed in the draw I wouldn't get it back.

The September 10th opening date worked for my daughter's schedule, since she starts school on September 18th. Not many other areas to apply for with an early opening date like that.

Also, I was thinking perhaps I'd get my refund sooner. But probably wrong about that as well.

Reactions: Oak
Yeah, you're right, I could have not done anything, but either way I lose the $15 fee for each application. I guess the reason I did withdraw them is I wasn't sure if they might refund the $15 fee. I knew if I stayed in the draw I wouldn't get it back.

The September 10th opening date worked for my daughter's schedule, since she starts school on September 18th. Not many other areas to apply for with an early opening date like that.

Also, I was thinking perhaps I'd get my refund sooner. But probably wrong about that as well.
Quite a few areas open Sep 1-10. About 20 or so, but maybe they weren’t what you were looking for.

Quite a few areas open Sep 1-10. About 20 or so, but maybe they weren’t what you were looking for.

I haven't looked in a while but most of them that opened early enough required more points than what we have. I have 7 and my daughter has 5, so a 6 point average and it very likely wouldn't even have been enough to draw the one I applied for. I'm just wanting to use up our points before we move to Wyoming.

If I could have one wish it would be to change all the “any antelope” tags to horns above the ears.

Just returned from wyoming.....drove all over heck on the west side of the wyoming range....Kemmerer to Pindale over tri-divide pass, all over the green...from the lakes down to farson road and all around there fishing......The absence of antelope was startling.......maybe saw 10 a day(5 days) on our travels......maybe a group or two of 6, then singles rarely here and there.....smh

Glad we did not burn my son's 10 points this year.........

You all go do whathever you want with your tags, if it were me, I'd camp and eat chili dogs and fish....(and Ive never even considered that on option.....)

Pray for a mild winter or five

Just returned from wyoming.....drove all over heck on the west side of the wyoming range....Kemmerer to Pindale over tri-divide pass, all over the green...from the lakes down to farson road and all around there fishing......The absence of antelope was startling.......maybe saw 10 a day(5 days) on our travels......maybe a group or two of 6, then singles rarely here and there.....smh

Glad we did not burn my son's 10 points this year.........

You all go do whathever you want with your tags, if it were me, I'd camp and eat chili dogs and fish....(and Ive never even considered that on option.....)

Pray for a mild winter or five
Agreed! Driving from Elk Mountain to Rock Springs I counted 10. Normally I wouldn't be out of sight of a herd somewhere. A few more between Rock Springs and Pinedale. And a few between Thermopolis and Cody. I've never seen anything like it. Driving from Pinedale to Dubois over Union Pass we saw ZERO big game animals. Unreal!! A few deer by Green River Lakes and a a few more around Riverton, but that's it. As someone from the eastern part of WY, I had no idea what much of the rest of the State was hit with. Driving from Cody back to Laramie in the morning... hope to see some game animals alive!!

Thanks for reporting on this. Didn’t hear a whole lot of first-hand encounters so far yet this year.

I’m glad I didn’t waste my points out there and I’m glad to see that the Wyoming game and fish reduced the tags pretty significantly in these areas.

I’m really surprised they didn’t shut down the season entirely.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back