Winter kill update

i've been thinking screw it, there will still be some animals and still some tags, and as usual, life is short so put in.

but i'm feeling the same as greenhorn i think.

i'm gonna have a solid bull tag, a solid late season cow tag, a white tail buck tag, some white tail doe tags, a mule deer buck tag, and will find a doe mule deer tag and another bull tag if i want one.

the only places i planned to apply for pronghorn in wyo is on the badder portion of snowy's map. i think i'm out. save that dough.

I am in the same boat. As bad as I wanted to try and burn all these pronghorn points in the special before the price hike, I am just buying another point and will just pony up when the time is right.

Maybe I will hit a longshot deer tag in New Mexico or Arizona.

Last edited:
I guess my only point was I don’t know what constitutes “fully recovered” or who determines it with what measuring stick. This was just the best idea I had. Happy Monday.
The very last people I would ever believe or talk to, is people that live and hunt in the units in question and have been for the past 5 decades.

As if they would ever know anything about local wildlife herds, populations, etc.

I think that's what a lot of people get frustrated with, they know what it was and saw the potential.

Honestly, the GF will be happy when the older generation of hunters are dead and I'm sure wish they would die. If nobody remembers how it was and remember where the herds were 20-30-40 years ago, they can tell the new hunters and johnnie-come-lately types how fabulous things are.

Ask Jeff about the local pronghorn herd that he and his family hunts instead of being a wise guy.

Would you say a unit that in the past issued over 1000 tags is "recovered" when that unit now issues 75 total tags?

Seems to me there's still a bit of recovering to do...but hey, what do I know?

I guess my only point was I don’t know what constitutes “fully recovered” or who determines it with what measuring stick. This was just the best idea I had. Happy Monday.
Fully recovered is the number of animals that the habitat can support. All too often we are way far from that number and still issuing licenses. Isn't hunting the tool we use to remove surplus animals?

As far as what constitutes "way over objective" when it comes to elk? You're definitely wrong saying elk are way over objective in most of the state. That's buying into the garbage we were fed by the Task Force. Objectives, in many cases, are political numbers, sometimes determined in part or whole by area landowners.

Want to jump my shit, no problem, buts lets see who you are. I don't hide on these boards, I never have. Happy Monday to you...

I think a good place to start is to look at some historic herd data, quota's, etc.

I would also set some realistic herd objectives based on carrying capacity and science instead of what the GF budget, outfitters, and landowners want.

I personally think bull ratios in the 50's and buck pronghorn ratios in the 60's are wasted opportunities, especially when my kids can not draw tags. That's just my opinion...
Nice edit on the buck pronghorn ratio's...you must have actually looked at some numbers. That's what you should do before deciding what's best for the children instead of the pronghorn herds.

The game and fish needs to stop screwing around and finally hire biologists to help manage the wildlife. No wonder Wyoming hunting has sucked forever.

Nice edit on the buck pronghorn ratio's...you must have actually looked at some numbers. That's what you should do before deciding what's best for the children instead of the pronghorn herds.
Are you seriously so bored at work that you have to spend the entire day policing internet forums?

Reactions: OMB
I notice that in a few areas in southern WY they’ve proposed to actually increase cow/calf elk tags and that confuses me. I assumed that all of southern WY got smoked and that tags would be reduced (or stay the same, at best). Is that incorrect? Or are elk just faring better? I hear conflicting things about that.
Wyoming feeds elk at feed grounds to keep them out of their traditional winter ranges in the basins where there are tasty hay stacks. So elk are doing OK, and are over objectives in most places; hence, increases in tags. Deer & pronghorn are in bad, bad shape because of this winter's deep, long cold and unusually deep snows that cover the sagebrush, their primary winter diet. WGFD doesn't feed them (generally) because their digestive systems can't handle it.

Perhaps by issuing more elk tags and thinning them out a little bit, they will compete less with deer that have been hit much harder this winter and that will (hopefully) help them rebound.

A couple of interesting things.

First, I think we have a recency bias in our views of the severity. It doesn't mean this isn't a bad winter, rather it means relative to our recent memory it is terrible. Generally, winters had been mild for the past few decades. I recognize the issue isn't just total snow fall amount but the hardening of the snowpack that is the biggest problem. In trying to find something positive, I think if we give the animals a break, they will rebound. They were built to survive these.
View attachment 271002

Second, You can watch the entire snow season here, Nationwide or by region, in the animate section. Some areas are not hit as hard as others or got the benefit of melting. You can also see the bad areas where the snow came and never loosened its grip.

I understand what you're saying. As far as snow levels it's pretty normal here in the upper snake region of Idaho. A little more than normal and sticking around later than usual but nothing earth shattering. A few areas set record snowfalls. But no PANIC levels reported. Our issue is the melting and re-freezing. It happened in my area twice. Instead of fluffy snow the animal have to dig through to feed it becomes ice they have to chip. That burns more calories. It was weeks after that first melt that we started seeing crows flying around that wintering area. Then it did it again. Idaho needs to get on it and starting cutting some tags back NOW.

Back