Winter kill update

I counted 25 dead deer along a 10 mile stretch of Hwy 189 between I-80 and Kemmerer yesterday. There’s been more deer wintering in that area this year than I’ve ever seen before. I’ve been seeing hundreds each trip thru. It was pretty foggy thru there yesterday morning, so I couldn’t get a sense of how many were still on the landscape, but the magpies and vultures looked fat and happy.
This past weekend my wife and I drove the old highway 87 between the Dave Johnston power plant and Glenrock (only 5 miles) and we counted 20 dead antelope, most likely winter kill as that road doesn't get much traffic.

Drove i80 a few weeks ago between Rawlins and Utah. There was a significant amount of roadkill. Over 30 elk for sure. How do we not have any wildlife over/under passes???

Last edited:
Oh, they have plenty of money. Wyoming has a surplus.
It is a matter of "their" priorities.
The state having a surplus has nothing to do with implementing wildlife passages. Their DOT funding is overwhelmingly funded by the feds. They're just like us in SD.

I would assume more are in the works. Wildlife under or overpasses take time and significant planning to be put in. It's not like you're building a small bridge or small culvert passage. You're building a large structure that spans about 300+ ft and over/under 4 lanes of traffic. You're talking about phases of shutting down traffic, on both sides, for weeks, to complete. They need to be funded, budgeted, and designed and approved. Also, planning where they will be most effective, coordinating with and compensating abutting landowners for temporary or permanent easements. BLM or FS as abutting landowner? More red tape. It simply can't be done over night.

Like Buzz mentioned, poor planning is the culprit. When they designed and built I80 in the 60's wildlife crossings weren't even a thought. Until just recently (last 10-15 years-ish maybe?) is when we've really started to understand wildlife migrations and migration corridors, or at least understood enough to care about.

You will see them in the future. The infrastructure bill that was singed in '21 has something like $350M for wildlife-collision avoidance. The money for building these structures will probably be almost exclusively federally funded. A state like WY doesn't have the tax base to build that kind of infrastructure alone.

I've worked with folks at WYDOT about their wildlife crossings/escape ramps as part of my job at SD DOT to help us implement them here in SD. WYDOT has smart folks and good designs. Just takes time and funding.

EV chargers not wildlife crossings, thats the future!
That is a priority of the Federal government. All states receive federal funding for them. Can't blame WY for implementing them. Like any other budget, if you don't use the funds you're given, you're not going to get funding for other wishes/priorities in the future.

Another article regarding south-central Wyoming herds:
Sad and depressing. Are the emergency feed grounds helping in spots? Also, a lot of the bad news seems to be focus on the south central and south west part of the state. Hopefully it is less bad in other parts of the state. The animals need a break.

Another article regarding south-central Wyoming herds:
That’s pretty aweful. Good reminder we humans don’t have as much control of things as we think

I am from PA. Grew up hunting whitetails on my neighbor's dairy farm in the 80s. Always dreamed of taking a guided hunt for mule deer in Wyoming and finally did it in 2006. When my brother and I arrived at camp on September 14th 2006 we found 100 searchers, blood hounds, and two helicopters who had all been pounding our hunt area for a week searching for a lost rock climber. The outfitter never bothered to call us and tell us about the situation and we didn't know what to do. The search party found the climber's body on the day we arrived and they all left. The outfitter told us we would have a good hunt since the commotion was over. Not so. We didn't see a squirrel or a bird for seven days let alone a deer.
Fast forward to March 19, 2023. I have 15 mule deer points in Wyoming and in 2020 I put down a $1000 deposit with a well known guide in Western Wyoming (who at that time was booked through 2023). The outfitter called me last year to ask if I wanted to hunt a year early due to other cancellations. Due to my situation I declined the 2022 hunt but committed to hunting with him in 2023. Given the current situation with this epic winter and reports of deer and antelope dying by the 1000s I am considering postponing my hunt yet another year if the outfitter will give me the option. Only I am 54 and I think things may get worse before they get better and it could be years before I have a good chance at a real wall hanger. Any thoughts? Hunt this year no matter what the WGF reports say in April or hold off and save my 15 points? Thanks for your comment s.
Coming in late here, but I would go hunt now. Most of the deer that will die are the yearlings, or the older deer 7+ years old. There is mortality in the other groups, but much less significant. There will still be a lot of 4-6 year old bucks that survive, and with all this snow, the feed should be very good this summer.

Plus, there is no way to know if next winter is going to be the same or worse.

As Randy says, “ Hunt while you can, you’re going to run out of health before you run out of…..”

When given the choice, always hunt now. Learn from the experience and then try to hunt a lower demand area the next year or in 2 years DIY.

Sad and depressing. Are the emergency feed grounds helping in spots? Also, a lot of the bad news seems to be focus on the south central and south west part of the state. Hopefully it is less bad in other parts of the state. The animals need a break.
The emergency feeding is only for elk. Attended town hall on the situation last week. Nesvik stated that the emergency feeding was solely to keep the elk out of places they don’t want them. Largely ranchers stacks. He said they were working to that end.

We are supposed to get another 2 feet tonight and tomorrow.

Sorry but I am willing to bet that this will surpass any winter event we have had in our lifetime. Already surpassed 17/18, 07/08. I was little at the time but it might have passed 84…

The hits just keep coming, but its supposed to be a short lived cold snap and than back in the upper 40's...at least around Laramie.

I'm trying to stay positive, but this winter has been pretty rough, lots of snow and extended cold.

I really think deeper tag cuts should be made in some areas of the state. The GF is sitting on about a years worth of reserves money wise...cut tags the next 2-3 years and hope for a couple easy winters.

The hits just keep coming, but its supposed to be a short lived cold snap and than back in the upper 40's...at least around Laramie.

I'm trying to stay positive, but this winter has been pretty rough, lots of snow and extended cold.

I really think deeper tag cuts should be made in some areas of the state. The GF is sitting on about a years worth of reserves money wise...cut tags the next 2-3 years and hope for a couple easy winters.
Although I sure would like to hunt antelope again in 93 this fall, I have to agree with you Buzz.

My assumption after listening to Nesvik in Pinedale is some significant cuts are on the way. Just a hunch from things he said. He mentioned they got money as well.

Back