Wildife Task force 90-10, etc.

The task force hasn't expanded on how, or if, they plan to modify the draw should they go to bonus points. Simply changing to bonus points, keeping the 75 preference/25 random split would be a good idea in my opinion. Similar to the UT and AZ system.

The task force hasn't expanded on how, or if, they plan to modify the draw should they go to bonus points. Simply changing to bonus points, keeping the 75 preference/25 random split would be a good idea in my opinion. Similar to the UT and AZ system.
From the Taskforce:
"At the November 18th meeting, the Taskforce discussed the following proposal: 1) Effective January 1, 2025, all preference points held by individuals for bighorn sheep and moose will be converted to bonus points. 2) Effective for the 2025-2026 season and thereafter, applicants for moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and bison will earn one bonus point for each year they apply and are unsuccessful in drawing their first choice on their application for the respective species. 3) Individuals may also purchase a bonus point in years they do not apply for a license. 4) Effective for the 2025-2026 season, the draw will be random, but the number of entries an individual has into the drawing for a specific species will be equal to the number of bonus points they have squared (example - 4 points = 16 entries, 10 points = 100 entries). 5) Bonus points will be converted to history (or lost) as before if individuals fail to apply for two years. 6) Specific rules and regulations to be developed and promulgated by the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission. What would you like the Taskforce to know about this idea?"

To me #4 sounds like no more 75/25, but I have not caught up on the meeting recording so could be missing context.

From the Taskforce:
"At the November 18th meeting, the Taskforce discussed the following proposal: 1) Effective January 1, 2025, all preference points held by individuals for bighorn sheep and moose will be converted to bonus points. 2) Effective for the 2025-2026 season and thereafter, applicants for moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and bison will earn one bonus point for each year they apply and are unsuccessful in drawing their first choice on their application for the respective species. 3) Individuals may also purchase a bonus point in years they do not apply for a license. 4) Effective for the 2025-2026 season, the draw will be random, but the number of entries an individual has into the drawing for a specific species will be equal to the number of bonus points they have squared (example - 4 points = 16 entries, 10 points = 100 entries). 5) Bonus points will be converted to history (or lost) as before if individuals fail to apply for two years. 6) Specific rules and regulations to be developed and promulgated by the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission. What would you like the Taskforce to know about this idea?"

To me #4 sounds like no more 75/25, but I have not caught up on the meeting recording so could be missing context.
I don't like it. But of course, I'm sitting with 24 sheep points.

I don't like it. But of course, I'm sitting with 24 sheep points.
You're getting hosed.

"To me #4 sounds like no more 75/25, but I have not caught up on the meeting recording so could be missing context."

I think It's going to be 90/10 res/nr and a weighted random draw. They make it sound sexy with the "number of entries into the draw equal to bonus points" but in reality, you'll get a random number for each point, squared, and only use the lowest number; Wyoming goes up from zero when issuing tags. Those currently in the max pools and just waiting to cash in when schedules permit are getting kicked to the curb. Additionally, the dept will make more money on sheep/moose points because those points will give you that weighted advantage. You have to keep buying to maintain the advantage over those under you.

Last edited:
I was actually meaning no more full random and separate point pools, new situation would be all weighted points in the same pool.

Carl I drew my sheep tag with 1 less than max, have faith sir.

Weighted PP might get some a chance at a great area without max PP.

At least they're converting from preference to bonus and not preference to straight random/no points

Then y'all really would be getting hosed

As it stands the new system shouldn't really hurt max point ppl too much. The reallocation does maybe.

In the end though it's just another point system, meaning it will mature for five or ten years and by then people will hate it and demand a new system again 😁

Which won't do me a lick of good when someone with one point draws MY tag, haha. Enter some whiney comment about how the G&F owes me a license for all of the years I have put in and all of the money I spent on points.
You may want to look at Plan B area and push hard in 2022, 2023 and 2024 to get a license before the system kicks you to the curb. Areas 1-4 all took less than what you have in 2021. Though you’ll need a guide for the Wilderness, unless you have a resident guide who can help you. Might be the time to splurge on a fully outfitted hunt.

You may want to look at Plan B area and push hard in 2022, 2023 and 2024 to get a license before the system kicks you to the curb. Areas 1-4 all took less than what you have in 2021. Though you’ll need a guide for the Wilderness, unless you have a resident guide who can help you. Might be the time to splurge on a fully outfitted hunt.
He’s a resident.

I believe It's not going to the TRW till the next session. Soonest it would go into affect would be 2023 and then there's a 4 year change over.

I like it. I just got a moose tag in 2021. That means I can do this again when the new rules go into effect???

I thought all big 5 was now going OIL under the proposed change? I only remember that cause me and a certain other frequent poster with knowledge of this argued about it, me in favor of no OIL for bison and moose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back