Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wilderness Bear

theat

It has been a great bear season for me with 26 bears spotted so far, and three on the ground that I have been a part of. On the 6th of May I killed the 12th bear of the spring on a backpacking trip about 5 miles up into one of my favorite wilderness areas. Here are a few pics of early season and that hunt.
DSC00654_2.jpg
DSC00692.jpg
IMGP1503.jpg
IMGP1516.jpg
DSC00688.jpg
DSC00696.jpg
These next ones are from the day I got my bear
DSC00703.JPG
DSC00712.jpg
DSC00719.jpg
DSC00722.jpg
improved.JPG
We ate fresh picked morels with our dinner that night
DSC00735.jpg
DSC00736.jpg
Packing him out
IMGP1535.jpg

Awesome photos. Probably one of the best bear kill photos I've seen. Looks like a great trip.

Great bear, and awesome hunt! Thanks for sharing - that camp meal loks outstanding, is that bear sausage? with fresh shrooms - hard to beat that.

Those are some great photos, I don't think you could have picked a more spectacular background for that photo with your bear .............................. wait a minute, did you pack him up the hill just for that photo opp?;) Congratulations!

Thanks guys, as for the photo I got very lucky. After my shot the bear ran about 10 yards and piled up against the tree in the picture. The area where the bear was living is mostly cliffs with grassy ledges. The tree is perched on one of these cliffs and if the bear had not hung up on it, he would have fallen at least another 150' down into a timbered draw with no good background for a picture. Also my friend took at least 20 pics with and without using the flash and the second to last pic he took (the one above) is significantly better than the rest.

As it turned out the bear ended up at the bottom of the cliff anyway. The spot he was in was way too dangerous to try and cut him up there. In the pic I have my right foot braced against the tree holding the bear and that is the only thing keeping me from sliding off the cliff. We were also unable to move him uphill, so we lowered/dropped him down to a somewhat safer spot. Luckily bears are pretty tough and don't have any antlers to break resulting no damage and a nice rug for the wall.

I'll echo everyone else in liking your pic, story, and bear. I had a wonderful hunt in a Idaho wilderness area this year although not yielding a bear I put in a lot effort and got to spend some time in wonderful country. I must admit I am envious especially you seeing so many animals. Again congrats!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back