Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wild Within on Travel Channel

Big Fin, (Randy)

I like the OYOA tv show. Your comments on the skinning, boning/quartering not being permitted on the outdoor networks troubles me since the uninformed viewer never sees that part of the hunt.

Now to me in a perfect world the segment would break down to 18% scouting & research, 2% travel to hunt location, 50% Hunting time, 10% kill shot , 10 % getting the critter back to civilization. 10% processing/preparing.

Wouldn't hurt to talk about dressing percentages for various game animals. Might make folks put more effort into carcass care and not biatch when the processor has to trim a bunch of dirty meat.

Wouldn't hurt to take OYO a little further and do some DIY processing. ( I know some networks are persnickity about that)

Wouldn't hurt to talk about shot placement. Show me the bullet/arrow path. With a graphic if not on the actual animal.

I like the show and if nothing changed I'd still like it....

Would anyone watch an hour long hunting show if you could add a lot more information, tip, ideas, etc?

I would watch your show for an hour.But if you gave out more info and tips than you do now, I fear you may be lynched by some around here.Hell even I cringe on some of the info you air.I know you just hit on it lightly, and that 90% of the guys watching wont pick up what your putting down, it still brings out my paranoid side ;)

Just watched the show and really enjoyed it, I liked the comment about how he "killed his deer" instead of "harvesting it." I liked the meat segment and variety of game he packed into the show, will def watch again.
Randy- everyone in my house would love to see a hour of OYOA, we loved watching every week. Unfortunatly we cant get sportsman chanel here :( :( so looking forward to online streaming of the new season.

I set up a recording for this...but instead of wild within I had inadvertently recorded wild outdoors... I made it 5 minutes before deleting...horrible! LOL Will have to make sure I get the correct program next time.

I also watched and enjoyed the Travel Channel show. To me and my hunting buddies, a hunting trip is an adventure. Any show that focuses on the "adventure" aspects of the hunt is one that I will watch with great enthusiasm. The adventure starts with the planning of the trip including scouting, getting tags, planning what to take,etc. Then there is transportation, setting up camp, and then heading out to do the hunt. After the kill, I would like to see getting the animal out of the woods and the meat processing and taxidermy work. Every hunt has problems, so I would like to see the trials and tribulations encountered during the adventure.
OYOA is as close to my perfect hunting show as it gets. Note that "adventure" is even in the title, so anything that you, Randy, can do to perpetuate that is great and an hour long show would be welcome.

heck yes I would love the show to be longer I would love to get more tips on everything from how to play the draws to scouting to actually hunting, camping the entire thing i think your show is unique in the fact that the OYO aspect supports the hour long time where others would not there isnt much to tell when you hire an outfitter about all that went into your hunt.
Even if you didn't do it on tv web or on dvd would be great to have extra info to go with each episode.

Good Luck

I just watched the Alaska rerun and thought it was great, an hour long for this type of show was not too long. An hour OYOA episode would be awesome. I like the start to finish aspect of it too and would like to see more of that.

If it was an hour long and half of it was sitting around a fake fireplace in a fake cabin talking about the biggun' that came in behind the tree stand and got away, then no I hate those programs and do not watch them.

Just got to watch the show and thought it was very real and very good. loved the hour format. Would love to see an hour of OYOA

Ive seen the Canada and hawaii episodes forever. Its one of the best and most relate-able hunting show Ive seen. I think they`ve really got something with it, hope it sticks.

I`m really glad they`re using a hunter as the host and not somebody pretending to be one.
Nice use of Mystery Ranch/Dana Design, Leupold and havalon so far.

Last edited:
Would anyone watch an hour long hunting show if you could add a lot more information, tip, ideas, etc?

I have yet to see the show but more to you question. I personally would really enjoy an hour long show with what OYOA offers. It is so different from anything else out there I believe as it is so relatable to the average hunter.

Anyone watch it? I watched it with the volume down, as I was tied up on a phone call. The videography was very good, and he killed more stuff and it looked like real hunting more than 80% of the shows you will find on the hunting channels these days.

He showed the packing and preparing of meat. Something strictly prohibited by the guidelines of Outdoor Channel. Pretty bad when hunters get more field dressing info from the Travel Channel.

If you watched it, I am curious what you thought.

I would love for our show to be an hour long, as we capture so much footage and such a small percentage actually makes the final edit. We could go into a ton of things about tags, tactics, what worked and didn't work, more planning and preparation, what goes on behind the scenes. Just don't know if people would sit and watch for that long, or if the network and sponsors would go for it.

I plan to catch the audio as it replays this week and see if the message is worthwhile. Even if he did shoot a skylined deer, and had to shoot it many times, it was better visual TV than most stuff on the outdoor networks.

I would watch all that bonus footage on a webisode without a kill. I've seen plenty of animals die but learning how to become a better hunter is hard to find on outdoor tv...

I would definetly like to watch hour long episodes of OYOA, especially if the extra 30 minutes came from cancelling "Jimmy Big Time".

I watched the moose episode.. It was very good, imo. He's not an expert hunter, but that might be why he's interesting to watch. He tries really hard. I was cringing when he shot into the brush, but I'm sure the cameraman had a different angle than the shooter did. I really liked how they showed the packing of the animal out, and the entire process. I was a bit nervous watching him paddle down the river in that POS canoe with a full load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back