Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wild Bison Survey for MT

Ben Lamb

Montana Wildlife Federation is in the midst of gathering input on wild bison conservation in MT. If you have an opinion either way, please take the time to fill out the survey. It's a tough issue for MT in general, but it's something that if done right, could be a big benefit for the state & for hunters.

Thanks for sending. Would be excellent if this happens.

I'm defiantly not all for it.
With bison WILL come a LOT more regulations and bureaucracy.
It may end up taking away what we have.

I'm defiantly not all for it.
With bison WILL come a LOT more regulations and bureaucracy.
It may end up taking away what we have.

I would still urge you submit comments. This is a tough issue, and having all perspectives represented is necessary to craft something that would actually work for all.

Curious as to your concerns?

You guys that don't live here need to have Grizzly bear Protected and wolf "RE" introduced in your back yard and all the federal and state regulations with it.
BISON in the CMR is a horrible idea!!!!!

Last edited:
BISON in the CMR is a herbal idea!!!!!
Please tell me where grizzly bears were “RE” introduced to.

Not that it gives me more credibility than anyone else, but my family is from the Malta area and I’d love to see a bison population restored to the Breaks.

Last edited:
D4570 - I'm interested in hearing more in depth what you mean by new rules causing us to lose a great asset. Do you feel that if bison are on the CMR, then they'll close it down to public access?
This is one subject that isn't cut and dry in my mind, so I'm always interested in reading various people's opinion on both sides of the fence.

Have you ever entered into the bison draw by Yellowstone?
There are hundreds of Bison captured and later slaughtered, Then the native Americans get the first wack at them. After that, IF there is any left, we can hunt them IF you get a tag. FAIR?
In your mind do you think anything in the federal realm will be better?
We have lone since past the minimums for Grizzly comeback can we, as in the state, manage the heard? NO. WOLF do I need to even bring that up? Yes, we can hunt them now but we all know that is no way to control their numbers. They have decimated our Moose, Elk, and deer populations. I here there is only a minor fraction of the typical number of coyotes in Yellowstone, how about Cougars.
They have been trying for years to repopulate black-footed ferrets on the CMR.
How is that coming? When I drive through the Pdog towns you can't even have a loaded gun in your truck, They have rangers patrolling 24 hours a day to keep people and hawk and eagles from harming the p dogs and ferrets. A staggering cost to us. The cattle industry will MAKE them fence the CMR with Bison proof fence, which would cost more than a "border fence." More regulations in my mind. The entier River Monument is the ONLY monument NOT administrated by the National Parks, how much hunting have you done in Glacier lately? How about cutting a tree? Forget about it, and yes no one wants to cut a tree in the CMR. As is right now there are special restrictions on hunting coyotes, AND you cant even take a crap on the CMR you have to pack it out with you.
I have NEVER seen an IMPROVEMENT when the feds take more control.
If you think this is funded by actual people wanting to "Improve" our access and individual rights I think you're wrong.

ANYWAY, we all know the government will get in on this and lessen what we have now
I have seen someplace the 50-year plan for CMR also calls for Grizzle bear and wolf.
When the CMR was created it was to be an enhancement for Antelope and sage grouse.
Just me thinking out loud. Do you want to risk it?

Ah, the good ole days when the Feds idea of good governance was to facilitate the extermination of bison in order to remove the ability of indigenous populations to survive so that citizens could re-appropriate the land for “settled” use and raise cattle.
Somewhere along the way, bison became “livestock” instead of wildlife and fell under the jurisdiction of an agency devoted to ensuring wild bison aren’t allowed to compete with domestic cattle.

I am in the “Make Bison Wild Again “ camp.

Thanks @D4570. I appreciate you taking the time to lay out your concerns. I think there is a lot of validity in those concerns, and you are correct - the track record on wolves & grizzlies being delisted isn't great. Luckily, bison aren't a listed species (yet), and thus would be managed by DFWP, rather than the Fed.

I would note that if the State undertook the effort to establish a new herd of bison, there are existing laws that would guide how that herd would be managed including reparations for landowners who are injured by bison. Landowners would also have the right to shoot any bison on their land w/o their permission, and FWP must come up with a containment strategy for those animals. You can read the current statute here: https://leg.mt.gov/content/Committe...Relations/Meetings/Oct-2013/SB-212_Ripley.pdf

Bison in the CMR would be managed much differently than in YNP. Due to the issue of Brucellosis transmission, treaty rights with many tribes & the Interagency Bison Management Plan, Yellowstone Bison have a much more hands-on approach to being managed than other wild bison herds. In reality, a herd in the CMR would more closely resemble the Henry Mtns herd both in size & management strategy, which heavily relies on hunting to keep numbers at bay.

I don't buy the disaster scenario, but I accept that some people believe it. When I was in the breaks last fall, I was amazed at all the resistance to a private land reserve that had nothing to do with federal management. This goes back to "soundbites distilled down for a populace that watches the bachelor" mentioned in another thread.
Bison belong on the prairie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back