Yeti GOBOX Collection

2023 MT Bison for Pickle.....

Elkwhisper

My daughter Cassidy has had quite a year. She was able to take her first bull elk in October and it was a dandy! She was also lucky enought to draw one of the very limited either sex bison tags for West Yelowstone, which was lucky enough. But her luck is so good, we even got the snow needed to make this hunt doable.

As many / most of you know thanks to the episod Randy did, this is a migration hunt near the west boundry of Yellowstone National Park. And the only way hunters have a chance at success is if we get the snow needed to push the buffalo out of the park into the surrounding national forest near the town of West Yellowstone. In the past several years mild weather has kept the majority of the animals in the park and hunter harvest has been very low. This year we have had PLENTY of snow which has kept the bison on the move and harvest has been pretty steady.

I have been lucky enough to hunt all over the U.S. from Alaska to Texas, and even a few far off foreign countries. Big adventures and challenging hunts are not really that new to me. This one presented some new logitical hurdles that made what some might call an "easy hunt" something that turned out to be pretty demanding and definitely rewarding.

Because this hunt takes place when and where it does, there is really only one way to access the hunt area.... by snowmobile. We do not own a snowmobile...nor are we snowmobilers, which created the first of several logistical challenges. Many of you saw and responded to my initial thread here on HT about wanting to borrow / trade a snowmobile, and wouldn't you know it the HT community came through and good ol' dk88 came through, and was nice enough to lend me the snowmobile he bought for his bison hunt 2 years ago. Dave turned out to be a great guy and shared lots of useful knowledge about the hunt, and I can't thank him enough. I was also able to borrow a couple of additonal sleds from some close friends, and before you knew it I had a trailer full of horsepower and we were ready to hit the hills.

The second logistical challenge when it comes to this hunt, is that bison are just BIG animals. And while I have certainly pulled apart and trasported my share of critters, dealing with something that size in 3-4ft of snow is not somethign you want to take on by yourself if you can help it. That's where a strong support crew comes in. My daughter's boyfriend Hayden wasn't going to miss out on this and accompanied us an every trip. And hunting buddies, Ross, Russ, and Jace came along on different trips to lend a hand as well
Cass and I can't thank them enough. But the real game changer, was when good old HuntTalk came through again, and HT's own Red Fox reached out and offered his help. Dusty lives close by to the hunt area and made a couple of trips over to do some in season scouting for us, and ended up being just the kind of guy you want and need on an adventure like this.

Cassidy was super excited for the opportuntiy to hunt bison, and completely understood how rare a chance like this is. That said, as a college student with a couple of jobs, it ended up being pretty difficult to be "on call" to take off when we got word that the bison were on the move. We ended up having a really good network of people that were sharing information on bison movements, which definitly helpped and kept her excited. But in the end we pretty much just had to schedule times when she would be available and hope that our scheudules matched up with the big wooly critters.

We made our first trip over in early Decmeber, and once we got things figured out with how to run the snowmobiles and get all our gear on board, we hit the trails. And honestly, much to our surprise, the first trail we went down was coverd in fresh buffalo tracks and cow patties. Didn't take any amazing tracking skills to figure out which way we needed to go. About a half mile of "tracking" put us right on top of our first group of legal bison. The heard of about 12 cows, calves and a yearling bull were well inside the national forest, and withing 15 minutes of her first buffalo hunt... Cassidy was staring through the scope at thousands of pounds of wild and wooly critters.

Attachments

• 20221206_091645.jpg
    20221206_091645.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 134
  • 20221206_091335.jpg
    20221206_091335.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Now knowing that in the past several years the vast majority of state bison hunters didnt' get a chance to harvest one...... we were pretty suprised to be given this opportunty so quickly. We spent quite a while looking over this group of bison. While there were definitely some big ol' heffers in the bunch, Cassidy wasn't ready for this adventure to be over, and decided she wanted to keep looking for a big bull. So with lots of hesitation and second guessing, we turned the sleds arround to go find a big boy..... Well at least we tried to turn the sleds arround. Turns out neither Hayden nor I really know what the heck we are doing on snowmobiles and got them both stuck the second we turned off the groomed trail. Nothing a half hour of digging and pulling couldn't fix. I am sure the bison were very ammused watching our struggle.

We took the rest of the day to scour the rest of the available hunt area but didn't come up with any more buffalo where we could hunt them. By about 3pm Cassidy was cold and we didn't really want to deal with a dead bison in the dark, so I dropped her and Hayden off an the hotel to hit the hot tub. The boys and I decided to jump in the truck and scout from the comfort of a heated cab. Sure enough we turned up a bunch more buffalo... but challenge number 3 presented itself. All of these bison decided to make themselves at home in the middle of the subdivision on Rainbow Point, which of course is not a legal area to hunt. It also became apparent that the local environmmental group was doing all they could to encourage the buffalo to stay within the confines of this safe haven and the neighboring preserve. The Suburu army is strong in them parts.

Attachments

• 20221206_163911.jpg
    20221206_163911.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20221206_164544(0).jpg
    20221206_164544(0).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Day number two of the first trip over was fun but uneventful. We ended up being down to one snowmobile, so Cass and I coverd all the ground by ourselves but even the group of cows we had seen the day before had made their way back into the park, and we didn't even see any of the subdivision herd that day either. What we did see was a pretty big increase in pressure, as it appeard as if some of the tribes had gotten word that there were buffalo out of the park and they started showing up in force.

Last edited:
Did she get one?
My son shot one many years ago.
Tremendous meat.
Tremendous amount of work, after the shot.
We had a battery-powered Sawzall.

Of course I spent the next couple of weeks chomping at the bit to get Cassidy back over to chase bison, and reports kept rolling in of more buffalo being seen and even some more harvests. Dusty (Red Fox) made a trip over just before Christmas and found some huntable buffalo, but with Christmas upon us and family in town we weren't able to get over there.

Then about a week ago I got a call from a buddy telling me that a big herd was coming out.. only to wake up the next morning to the news that 13 of them got hammered on the highway overnight.

Some work commitments and doctors appointments kept us grounded for a few more days, but yesteday we made our way back to the promise land with a little bit different mindset. Cassidy has to have her wisdom teeth out next week and is going to back to school, and has a pretty demanding scheudle this semester. Top that off with the fact that I will be on the trade show tour for the next two months, and we knew it was time to get a tag filled. We might have had one more weekend to get over there right before the season closed, but knew that the competion then could be pretty dramatic as the tribes began to start their hunt in full force.

Last edited:
So at 0'dark 30 yesterday morning we loaded up the sleds and headed back to West Yelowstone., We were unloading sleds right at first light when Dusty came rolling in with news that he just saw a big herd crossing the road and heading back to the park. We only had one sled ready to go at that time, so Cass and I jumped on and followed Dusty about a mile down the trail. We stopped the snowmobiles and started to walk into the area he had seen them headed. Walking sounds easy... it IS NOT when you are in 3-4' of snow. If we stayed on the packed snowmobile or buffalo tracks it was doable, but as soon as you stepped off you got high centered.

The sound of a semi blaring his horn, let us know the buffalo were still on the road. We were able to get in posistion above them and watch the show. Now we were between them and the park, and if and when they decided to keep moving we might have a chance.

It didn't take long for the Suburu army to decend in full force. To their credit, I am sure they were much more concerned with getting the buffalo off the road to keep from getting hit... but they sure were not doing us any favors, because they were trying their best to move them away from us. It was kind of ammusing watching them try to chase them off, and the buffalo not giving 2 shits.

We sat and watched the show for about 30 minutes and it didn't seem like the buffalo were in any hurry to leave that road..... and to be honest, it wasn't really the scnerio we wanted for this hunt.

With that in mind we split up to cover some ground and sure enough Dusty turned up another small group. This group was much deeper into the forest service and ended up being in a pretty convenient place for retreival. No bulls in this group, but Cassidy picked a nice younger cow and dediced that she looked delicious and was coming home with us.

A quick round to the base of the skull and one insurance shot, and little Miss Pickle had her first bison on the ground.

Attachments

• 20230105_104155.jpg
    20230105_104155.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Man that's awesome! Bucket list hunt for sure! Big congrats to you guys!

Is it not hunter harassment or wildlife harassment for these antis to be interfering with your hunt in such a way? I've heard about this happening all the time and it's infuriating to see and hear it happening all the time on these hunts.

Nice! I apply for this hunt but never been lucky enough to draw this. Seems like more of a hunt than the Gardiner area. Looks like an adventure in the snow and some awesome meat.

I am number #13 on the calf/cow roster for the Gardiner area and have my fingers crossed but know that it is highly unlikely I get a call.

Turns out old Dusty is pretty handy with a knife, and with a couple of strong young guys to hlep with the pushing lifting and loading, we had old Buffy broke down into manageble pieces in short order. A quick sleigh ride back to the trucks and we had it made.

Cassidy is more than happy with her buffalo and we both can't thank everyone that helped enough. We have a lot of favors to pay back!

Attachments

• 36112.jpeg
    36112.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230105_120539.jpg
    20230105_120539.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members