Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wife wants a bigger diamond, what you think?

schmalts

My wife came home from shopping with her rich gal-pal and all the sudden she thinks she wants a bigger diamond in her wedding ring.
This bothers me for a few reasons, for one the ring she has had for 14 years is the one she had when we tied the knot. I think that replacing the diamond will cheapen the meaning of it.
The second is that the ring was fine until her gal pal who has been married for over 2 years went with her to get it resized. This chick doesnt have a wedding ring yet because she is still shopping for the perfect ring, after 2 years.
the third is $3-5k for a piece of clear rock that is not even considered preciuos and is only expensive because one company controls the majority of the mines.
What do you guys think? of course she threw the cost of my hunting trips in my face but i told her that was different, as that is my hobby and if i didnt hunt i would spend it on something else.

How about buying her another ring with the bigger rock that she can wear when you two go out??? That way she can keep her wedding ring the way it is, and she gets her bigger stone.... If her rich gal-pal hasn't found a ring in two years,then I don't think she thinks too much about her husband.. Becky and I have had the same rings for 27 years..The only time they have come off our fingers is when we had them resized....

Hunterman(Tony)

If that is her only exorbitance seems it would be prudent to get the stone...her support and your piece of mind to buy gear, plan time away from home for hunting, buy tags...etc.., is worth a lot.

You already knew the answer to this question, right?

Schmalts I think that is tacky and that is coming from a girl. I could see it if she lost the diamond from the setting. That happened to me. My focus at the time though was to try to make the thing look as much like the original as possible, not bigger. :rolleyes:

I get maybe asking for a seperate new piece of jewelry, but to mess with the original, no way.

noharleyyet said:
If that is her only exorbitance seems it would be prudent to get the stone...her support and your piece of mind to buy gear, plan time away from home for hunting, buy tags...etc.., is worth a lot.

You already knew the answer to this question, right?
Not so sure where you are coming from on this?
Although in my twisted mind i have thought about something... Apply for way too many hunting tags this year and if i draw more than one i have a leverage item, she gets the rock if i get the extra hunt trip..

Mojave said:
Schmalts I think that is tacky and that is coming from a girl. I could see it if she lost the diamond from the setting. That happened to me. My focus at the time though was to try to make the thing look as much like the original as possible, not bigger. :rolleyes:

I get maybe asking for a seperate new piece of jewelry, but to mess with the original, no way.
I was wondering what you might say... thanks, i wasnt sure what side of the fence you would be on. I will say this, this morning she is in a somewhat bummed mood because i told her that i was dissapointed she would want to change the ring she wore when we got married. Chit, its not like she has a little chip for a diamond now, its a .5 carot marques with other stones around it. its not a bad stone, good quality

"What do you guys think? of course she threw the cost of my hunting trips in my face but i told her that was different, as that is my hobby and if i didnt hunt i would spend it on something else."

just ignore her.

Is she worth it? Not being a smart ass, but to some wives, new jewelry is nice. Should you be allowed on one rifle because she bought you one years ago after you were married? I bought LB two new ones throughout the years. They did not take any meaning away from her first ring, they just added to what she enjoys wearing.

Nothing personal, Schmalts, but maybe she's not remembering what that ring meant? If it's $$ she wants, maybe she should go packing looking for it. Maybe you can get her a nice anniversary ring, but if she want's to keep up with the Jones's ie her girlfriend, maybe she needs to find someone that cares more for jewels than the relationship!

Sorry if I'm hardballing you, but a relationship that lasts forever is worth more than the size of the diamond you gave her on your wedding day.

No offense meant, just my opinion! Good luck, brother!

Balance, nothing! All total BS! If you two love eachother, there wouldn't be this tit for tat! I love you just as much as the cost of your new rifle with the scope as long as my diamond is worth just as much! Total garbage in my opinion! Life's too short to worry about the cost of your gift satisfying the other gender. If the other person loves you they will be happy no matter if you spent major $$$ or if you spent what you could afford, husband or wife!

Ok, I'm done! Sorry, I just get so tired of seeing this happen to relationships! C'mon people!, let's grow up here!

Yes No chart.

#1. Do you have 5k to buy her a a ring ? Yes? go to #10 No? go to #2

#2 Do you not have the Money because You are selfish and spend it all on you ? Yes? go to #3 : No? go to #4

#3 Why are you spending all the money on you... Quit that chit... and go to #10

#4 Do you not have the money because "SHE" spends it. Yes? Go to #9, No? Go to #5

#5 If you don't spend it and She doesn't spend it..... can you save enough money over the next 2 years to get it ? Yes? Go to #8 No? Go to #6

#6 You don't have enough money to buy the ring so go to #7

#7 Don't buy the ring and tell her no way is she going to get one and to go Fix you a Sam-ich !!!!!

#8 Save the money .. then go to #10

#9 Tell her to spend less money and figure out how to get the money and then go to #10

#10 Buy the Dam ring and don't make a big deal about it. It's a small price to pay......

Schmaltz,
tell her you will buy her something you can use as well and get her a big pair of tits.
Diamonds might last forever, but silicon you can play with forever ;)

Delw

Get yourself a single contact lense with the prescription of a coke bottle bottom. Mount that a few milimeters above her original diamond. Problem solved.
If she hadn't got the idea from her gal pal and just came up with the idea on her own, would you b*tch about getting her a new stone?
If you don't need her permission to get a new gun or hunt trip, does she need yours for a new stone? Get her the new rock, you've spent way more than that over the years on your hobby, now I'll bet cha :)

Bob/AK

Its not really the money that bothers me, it really is the fact that i feel that it cheapens the meaning of the ring, truthfully. She said "what if i lost the diamond" good question, it does happen, but i feel that is different. Chit, she is still franticly trying to find the emerald/diamond ring i bought her when we were dating.. and has no clue where it is.
Moosie, your flow chart is way too confusing, but it is amusing.
As far as My hobbies go, i dont see them as the same as this. getting married is not a hobby. if she wanted a new bike, vacation, exersize equipment, whatever.. i would not compalin much, if it was her hobby. She will get the damn thing i guess but i am a little dissapointed with her perspective on this one.
her rich gal pal is married to a doctor, and she is a nurse practitioner herself. So money is no object and she is looking at those ugly ass monster rocks in the 3 carot size... I told the wife i hope she swallows to get a diamond like that.
I told the wife if she really wants one that is her choice but the shopping and final approval needs to go past me. I told her to stay away from the rip off jewlers and do some research on the web for wholesale diamonds that come with certified apprasials.

The chart is Easy to follow.

Here's my take, You're mad because your wife wants a new dimond ring and you are using the Cheapens and rich friends excuse not to buy the ring . You're even more mad she's keeping up with the "Jone's". But we all do that.. even and expecially hunters. Always comparing bucks and bulls... and Even willing to Hump a dead mose with a Hunttalk hat to get a tag andget one........ ;)

Wanting something more isn't uncommon at all. Be happy she wants to upgrade her ring and not you. "Cheapens" isn't the riht word. "LOVE" is ...Either it's their or it's not if she loves you and you know it. Who cares is it's a $10 ring or a $10,000 ring ? Who cares if she wants a new one or why ? If you have the money... See #10 in the flow chart.

She's not gonig to leave you weather you buy the ring or not, cheapening something is making a Big deal out of nothing....

Just my .02 :D

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back