Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

wife gave me the green light, but...

ChrisC

So my wife told me today that I should go on an elk hunt next year that I've been hoping to go on for a while now. Being from east coast and never been elk hunting, this is a big trip for me. However, she suggested that I bring her father and my father. That's great, except they are on the older side, out of shape, and their joints have seen better days.

I've been searching this for a while and focused on areas that are tough, steep, hard to reach, etc. That is now out of the question. Does anyone have ideas of locations that would be suitable for their physical capabilities? They are far from handicapped, but aren't looking to kill themselves either. Doesn't matter what state, they just need to offer OTC licenses. Or should I focus more on a hunt like pronghorn?

Thanks,
Chris

I would buy a point in Wyoming while you still can and hunt for antelope next year

I agree on the antelope. All the antelope hunts I have ever been on were very relaxing. The weather is usually pretty good, lots of driving and glassing and antelope hunts are only as physical as you make them.

To get the most from the trip,get in the best condition you can.Elk hunting is work,yep lots of work.

Find a place with a easy deer draw and otc elk. My dad and my buddies dad just deer hunt while i elk hunt. They can have a blast and not have to go in very deep. My dad is 58 my buddies dad is 70. We filled both they're deer tags and my elk tag this Sept.

Your wife did not give you the green light if she gets too tell you who you must take.

plan the hunt you want not what she decides is the hunt you want.

There are certainly units in Arizona that you can kill an elk without killing yourself. The bad part is Arizona is a draw only state for elk and it may take a few years to get drawn being from out of state. Putting in for late hunts will help. If you don't want to wait, I would suggest a mule deer hunt. It will get you up into the mountains instead of in the flat grasslands like an antelope hunt will. With a mule deer hunt, you can put in some work to get a good feel for the western hunting experience without killing anyone.

Several states have OTC mule deer tags, Montana being one of them. The nice thing about Montana is you will get to experience hunting the rut while rifle hunting.

Just my two cents.......

You said that she "suggested", which she did. But after being married for a while, it doesn't take long to know what that means. If you really want to go elk hunting, I would at least explain to her how hard elk hunting really is, and that you don't want them to be miserable or injured. Focus on "them" to her, not that it puts "you" in a quandary or that you don't want them to go. Or better yet, if they're in that bad of shape, let her know that to do so may require a guided hunt instead of a DYI, which just shot the cost up tremendously for all three. She may decide against them going herself. If they're not that old or out of shape, tell them to get their butt in shape starting NOW for next year and explain to them how difficult it is. It may be a hunt neither one of you will ever forget, whether good or bad!
Either way, get a Wyoming point now before it's too late, as a backup.

It would be good to take them elk hunting before they are dead and most likely a guided hunt. Share expenses, have good company and learn hunting out west.Having said that there are lots of places to hunt elk where you can bomb ravines all day while they stay up top and take easy walks from camp and watch and listen. You can hunt elk and have fun once you accept the fact that your odds of success are low of course. The easy elk hunt we all want either doesn't exist or costs money.

Buy some Wyoming points then decide which animal to hunt You have until Oct 31 to buy them.

If they are in average condition, there are plenty of guided elk hunts out there that they could do without killing themselves and stand a real good chance of killing a decent bull. A good guide and outfitter isn't going to kill his clients.
Spend the $$ for a good outfitter on private land, and go somewhere that doesn't require preference points. Cabelas or Atchesons can set you up with a good hunt.

Thank you for the feedback. Since I'm covering the costs for them on this trip, I am going to forgo the more expensive guided trips for now. Comparing both options, it seems antelope may be the way to go for success, ease of the hunt, and cost.

If you ever heard a bull elk bugle close to you. You'll wish you would have done the elk hunt. Not to mention hundreds of pounds of the best meat ever. Good luck eating an antelope. Those hunts are boring. Glass and take long shots. Zzzzz

Elk...one or both will be hooked and motivated to improve their stamina to do it again.

If you ever heard a bull elk bugle close to you. You'll wish you would have done the elk hunt. Not to mention hundreds of pounds of the best meat ever. Good luck eating an antelope. Those hunts are boring. Glass and take long shots. Zzzzz

I can't speak from experience, but from what I've watched and researched, elk hunting seems hard to beat. However, the decision seems to be between an elk hunt now and potentially not getting to hunt with these guys, or hunt antelope now with them and push back that elk hunt a year or two. Plus, more elk and less competition for you next year, right?

No problem. I've been at this long enough to find solitude. You're welcome to come hunt elk here.

It's your decision. I understand hunting with your dad. I did with mine until he passed away in the 80's. I've been solo ever since. Good luck whatever you do.

Find a place with a easy deer draw and otc elk. My dad and my buddies dad just deer hunt while i elk hunt. They can have a blast and not have to go in very deep. My dad is 58 my buddies dad is 70. We filled both they're deer tags and my elk tag this Sept.

This sounds like the best idea to me since the light you got from the wife sounds a lot more yellow than green. This gets your father and FIL along, keeps them in easier to maneuver territory and gives you a chance to hunt the king of the forest. Once the older boys get a taste of bugling bulls, they'll likely be more motivated to hunt them, too, as others have said.

I may have made my wife sound a bit restrictive I'm my original post. I should clarify that it was merely a suggestion. I'm just thinking long term. I can do that solo hunt down the road, but the time frame to hunt with them is limited. If I can find relatively easy terrain for an elk hunt, that would be perfect. I'm just not all that familiar with the landscape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back