Change of plans , I'm adding a DIY OTC .....

CRJR45

Not going to name units or discuss areas , butt if anybody wants to reach out through PM's I'm all ears .

Anyway , I've only been out west three times and always guided hunts . And I've loved it . But , since joining HT and the Slide I've wanted to try a DIY hunt .
Started buying gear slowly and really just kicking the idea around , while procrastinating about it , telling myself -"Your 64 , you live in Florida , how much will you really get to do ".
I booked a private ranch hunt in New Mexico for 10-21-23 and thought I might just as well try the OTC second rifle in Co while I'm out there .
Well A friend of mine called last week and I was telling him he should fly out and I'd pick him up at the airport , he liked the idea , but being younger and a commercial fisherman , he wasn't sure he could swing it , the time off plus buying the gear he'd need .
But he called today and he bought a ticket , he was pumped about the adventure .
Now the shit gets real , LOL .
I have a told him I don't know much about Elk hunting and he really just wants to get in the mountains and the experience of it all .
I've got some input from friends I've made out there , and plan to get there a week before my NM hunt to scout around , plus I've been Escouting , but I suck at it .
I've got three spots/areas to look at as a start .
Oh , plus I've been working out , going to gym three times a week all year so I'm in good shape , for the shape I'm in, LOL

Welcome to the Deep end, there's the high dive!

When it seems overwhelming

giphy.gif

welcome to lifelong addiction!
@2rocky has it right, it's going to feel impossible to get on elk at some point, the ultramarathon mantra of "relentless forward progress" is pretty accurate, elk are killed by time in the woods and miles covered by foot or glass, keep covering ground long enough and you will find elk, don't spend unproductive time waiting for elk to show up, be proactive and keep moving until you are in elk, having three spots to start is good, just don't get stuck on those three if they don't have elk in them.

welcome to lifelong addiction!
@2rocky has it right, it's going to feel impossible to get on elk at some point, the ultramarathon mantra of "relentless forward progress" is pretty accurate, elk are killed by time in the woods and miles covered by foot or glass, keep covering ground long enough and you will find elk, don't spend unproductive time waiting for elk to show up, be proactive and keep moving until you are in elk, having three spots to start is good, just don't get stuck on those three if they don't have elk in them.
Thank You for the advice , I'll take all you got . @2rocky , that's exactly how I feel , jumping in the deep end , LOL
We plan on hiking in away from the crowds , and covering some ground .

Good luck and I won't say have fun, because I know you will! There's plenty of elk in OTC units, you just gotta work hard and keep the faith.

I've always wanted to do the "Two adjoining states" hunts. I have had hunts in two adjoining units that opened a few days different. You gotta concentrate on the first one 100% and be willing to not jump ship a couple days too soon to go to the second because #1 ain't working out. I hated losing a hunting day moving to camp 2.

I've always wanted to do the "Two adjoining states" hunts. I have had hunts in two adjoining units that opened a few days different. You gotta concentrate on the first one 100% and be willing to not jump ship a couple days too soon to go to the second because #1 ain't working out. I hated losing a hunting day moving to camp 2.
I have three days in between hunts to relocate , but I have to pick my friend up at the airport one day . I figured if I'm driving three days to get there , might as well make the most of it . I was going solo , and Theo decided to come hunt , that is a bonus , the whole two is one thing , you know .

DIY OTC elk hunting can have lots of ups and downs due to other hunters messing up well laid out plans. Keep your head up and focus on the experience just as much as filling your tag and you will most likely have a new addiction to deal with. Go enjoy your hunt and good luck!

If you are hunting a unit bordering NM there will be some crowds for sure. One thing I learned during my first hunt up there is if it’s kind of a pain to get to an area there will be way less people; and that includes roaded areas. If it’s a steep narrow two track lots of guys will avoid it.

That’s been my experience but I’ve only been on two hunts.

If you are hunting a unit bordering NM there will be some crowds for sure. One thing I learned during my first hunt up there is if it’s kind of a pain to get to an area there will be way less people; and that includes roaded areas. If it’s a steep narrow two track lots of guys will avoid it.

That’s been my experience but I’ve only been on two hunts.
Thank you , thats some good input .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back