Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Why my pack sucks: Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, Seek, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, etc.

Please select either the first or second choice, then select your current pack brand.

• I have tried multiple hunting brands

Votes: 308 50.2%
  • I have used just one hunting brand

Votes: 148 24.1%
  • Stone Glacier

Votes: 88 14.3%
  • Exo

Votes: 80 13.0%
  • Kuiu

Votes: 79 12.9%
  • Kifaru

Votes: 69 11.2%
  • Mystery Ranch

Votes: 213 34.7%
  • Seek Outside

Votes: 27 4.4%
  • Other Hunting Brand

Votes: 136 22.1%
  • Non Hunting Brand

Votes: 38 6.2%

• Total voters
Packs get a lot of discussion on HT, but it always seems like people just cheerlead their purchase and it's hard to figure out what the downsides are of the various brands.

Let’s assume we are all intelligent adults, and purchased whatever pack we have for good reasons, don’t share those, you likely have on like 20 threads and it’s not helpful you can read that crap on the manufacturers site.

Please post what bag you have or had, seasons used, and a downside of the bag. We get it, ______ pack is the best, but if you had a gun to your head what's something you or someone might not like about your pack.

Also if you have had a catastrophic failure or issue with customer service please give us the dirt.
Outdoorsman. Fantastic pack for a big haul.

Mystery Ranch. Super comfortable for smaller (1-3 days) hauls.

Honest question, difference between 3 day and 5 day haul?
For me, it is usually food, clothing, and sometimes tent selection. I’ve noticed if I spike out for 3 days vs 5, I can usually get by with less.

Food is self explanatory.

Weather is more accurate the closer it gets. So I may leave my rain pants, puffy pants and jacket (timing of the year), etc. I also like to change clothes out after 2-3 days. Socks and under garments too. So I pack fewer of those if I go 3 day. Obviously this is personal preference. I just notice if I change those I seem to be in a better mood which results in a better hunt. If you can hunt 7 days straight with the same clothes, nothing wrong with that.

Tent selection is back to weather. If I trust the forecast I may take my Seek one man Silex. If it looks like it’s going to be rain and or cold, I take my hilleberg nallo 2.

I just plan different for each one, and obviously you don’t have to do it this way. I’m tougher on a 3 day outing than a 5+ day. So I try to add some comforts and what if’s if I go for the longer haul. Which results in a bigger load.

Hope this helps!!

Stone Glacier 6900 Sky Talus...have had for 5 years

Pros:

Lots of storage capacity
Tough bag material
Solid zippers

Cons:

Straps everywhere
Side pockets - because the zippers run the full length of the pocket, if you don't have your pack situated with these facing the sky everything tends to fall out when you open these.
Buckles do not hold....had to upgrade to auto-lock
Shoulder straps seem thin
Lumbar support is thin/does not keep the pack where it should

I have two Eberlestock backpacks and I love the one I use for my day pack and I don't like the feel of the Team Elk pack I purchased several years ago. I'm planning on an Alaskan Grizzly trip and am looking seriously at the KUIU system. My other choice would be Stone Glacier, but it's a little pricier than the KUIU.

I have two Eberlestock backpacks and I love the one I use for my day pack and I don't like the feel of the Team Elk pack I purchased several years ago. I'm planning on an Alaskan Grizzly trip and am looking seriously at the KUIU system. My other choice would be Stone Glacier, but it's a little pricier than the KUIU.
SG or Kifaru

I have the Eberlestock F1 main frame "tall" with two of the vapor series bags. I am 5'11" about 165 lbs. I haven't used the bags yet but I have been using the main frame for workouts.

One thing I didn't realize is the adjustability of the shoulder straps was a little less than expected, although there is a decent range. I could barely get the straps adjusted short enough to fit my torso length. Although I am glad that I got the tall because the load lifters seem to really take the weight off my shoulders.

Seems like a durable frame but not the lightest, can't wait to get it into the mountains.

Packs get a lot of discussion on HT, but it always seems like people just cheerlead their purchase and it's hard to figure out what the downsides are of the various brands.

Let’s assume we are all intelligent adults, and purchased whatever pack we have for good reasons, don’t share those, you likely have on like 20 threads and it’s not helpful you can read that crap on the manufacturers site.

Please post what bag you have or had, seasons used, and a downside of the bag. We get it, ______ pack is the best, but if you had a gun to your head what's something you or someone might not like about your pack.

Also if you have had a catastrophic failure or issue with customer service please give us the dirt.
Mystery Ranch Beartooth80 I've used it for 2 seasons and my biggest concern is with the suitcase style pocket. You have to unclip almost every strap on the bag just to open that pocket, so moving from glassing spot to glassing spot, or stopping for some lunch can be a little annoying. 1st world problem for sure but it's my biggest gripe.

I have a Kifaru Mountain Warrior. It has worked very well for me aand has stood up extremely well to some harsh use. Biggest concerns are: 1) it is heavy, roughly 8 pounds empty, 2) it isn't water proof and not all that water resistant so if the snow/rain is heavy, I have to put on a rain cover. Not a big deal but it just takes a little more time/effort, 3) the pack feels like it is riding too low sometimes even when I have the belt positioned correctly on my hips. Usually when I am carrying a very heavy load. Maybe a different lumbar pad design would help that, I don't know. Being able to mount added bags via the molle webbing is a huge plus. I have my spotting scope and tripod in a side-mounted bag so moving place to place is very easy. And with food in the outside pocket and a side-mounted water bottle carrier on the belt, I rarely need to access the main compartment unless I am changing layers. I also really like the gun-carry system for hiking into and out of locations where I am pretty sure a quick shot isn't going to be needed.

Other packs I tested in the off season or used for work but decided weren't as good as the crewcab or Kifaru:
-Exo 3500 and 5500 w/K2 frame -- cons: fabric and stitching are not nearly as durable as MR or Kifaru, frame was not solid compared to the other packs either... still expensive
I have a 5500 with K2; the fabric and stitching are fraying too. The lumbar pad, hip belt, and stretch fabric on the back's padding are starting to fray. It's a 2018 pack and it looks more used than my old blue Kelty (about 65 ci) that I bought at a flea market for $50 in 1996.

The Kelty has been a great pack, but never to haul meat. It absorbs water in heavy rains. I don't use a pack cover anymore. Instead, I use a plastic, contractor-grade trash bag.

I've been using a MR Marshall for the past 6-7 years. I really like the bag layout. You can fit everything in there, it packs away well, and you can get to the stuff you need easily. Downsides were the harness always left my shoulders sore while packing heavy loads and the load shelf was a pain to set up. I'm looking at new packs now.

Mystery Ranch Beartooth80 I've used it for 2 seasons and my biggest concern is with the suitcase style pocket. You have to unclip almost every strap on the bag just to open that pocket, so moving from glassing spot to glassing spot, or stopping for some lunch can be a little annoying. 1st world problem for sure but it's my biggest gripe.
I’ve been using mine for about 3-4 years now, and a still haven’t fallen in love with the bag design.

I try to put stuff in the pocket on the back that I want easier access to, like food. Spotter goes in the side.

Just picked up a new MR marshall. My biggest beefs with the old one were fixed. The load shelf is a lot easier to get to and the harness is much more comfortable. If any one needs a used pack, I'd part with my old one if you cover shipping.

Wh
Just picked up a new MR marshall. My biggest beefs with the old one were fixed. The load shelf is a lot easier to get to and the harness is much more comfortable. If any one needs a used pack, I'd part with my old one if you cover shipping.
What size is it?

I've used a Kifaru for 6-7 years now. Have an older duplex frame and 2 bags, a DT1 and a Highcamp 4800, as well as a few different pockets and lids.

I'd say the downside to them is weight, especially if you like to add a bunch of pockets. It adds up.

Other than that it's been great. The frame carries weight like a champ and the bags are extremely durable. I like the layout of the 2 older bags I have over their newer designs.

I also have a MR Scapegoat 25 for day trips where I don't have to worry about meat hauling, and I really like it.

If I ever try something different I think it will be Stone Glacier.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back