Why i think the Ruger 10/22 Carbine is the best weapon for Self Defense

Sell the 2 shotguns you have and you'll have $150 towards the purchase of a Rem 870 or Mossberg 500. You're practically able to rebuild the entire shotgun with a few clicks a handful of websites. Not saying a 10/22 isn't something worth having but Personal Defense isn't something for a rimfire. If we're talking zombies then we all know a crossbow or a katana are best

Last edited:
Sell the 2 shotguns you have and you'll have $150 towards the purchase of a Rem 870 or Mossberg 500. You're practically able to rebuild the entire shotgun with a few clicks a handful of websites. Not saying a 10/22 isn't something worth having but Personal Defense isn't something for a rimfire. If we're talking zombies then we all know a crossbow or a katana are best

@Ben Lamb Lamb riding *shotgun...

Last edited:
i would love to have a shotgun but i cant find anyone who sells parts online .

The Mossberg 500 & Remington 870 are very inexpensive firearms with a lot of aftermarket parts online. You can usually pick these guns up very cheaply at pawnshops, etc.

i would love to have a shotgun but i cant find anyone who sells parts online .
Parts? They are sold all the time through Gunbroker, Midway, etc... What do you need parts for? No need to "super cool trick out" a shotgun meant to pop a bad guy inside your house.

I've had my Remington 870 for 36 years and have yet to need a part and it gets shot alot and probably doesn't get cleaned nearly as often as it should. I do have three 10/22's in the safe but when a bad guy is breaking in I'm not reaching for any of those three.

Welcome to the site.

I’m not sure what parts availability has to do with home defense. You gonna put defense on hold while you go work on your gun in the extremely rare event of break down during a break in?

I’m not sure what parts availability has to do with home defense. You gonna put defense on hold while you go work on your gun in the extremely rare event of break down during a break in?
I gather the concern is not current home defense, but personal defense some point after the economy and marketplace has collapsed and you somehow have to keep that firearm running until your natural death. This is problematic on a number of points, including the whole end of times view of the current situation, and not being clear why you would need spare parts to keep a decent shotgun running for 20+ years. A decent shotgun is good for thousands and thousands of rounds, more rounds than you would have hoarded in the first place.

Welcome, I get that for a bug out gun you can head to the hills with 4 bricks of .22 cal ammo in your pack and your 2000 rounds are easy to carry, but good chance as a home defense weapon the intruder will take it from you and beat you to death with the butt before he expires. Unbelievable numbers of people have been killed with .22 cal gunshot wounds, but generally slowly (barring mob hits up close and personal).

I've got a 36 y.o. 12 gauge Mossberg 500 that has shot 5000+ rounds from slugs to birdshot has killed everything from deer to Chipmunks and all kinds of critters in between.....

I just shot a turkey with it just a few days back and it's never needed any parts... It's just dead reliable and it also came with a 18 inch rifle sighted slug barrel that stays in it when sitting around the house.. I've got to say that at close range with buckshot it's devastating... The few deer and pigs I have shot with it never knew what hit them.. I paid $119 dollars for it at the local Tru-value hardware store when I bought it brand new..

BTW I just bought a very rough looking older Remington 870 for $75 at an auction it was rusted pretty badly. I put quite a bit of elbow grease and removed the rust, reblued with a quality slow blue and refinished the walnut stock. It looks a ton better and the internals are like new.. I would trust my life with it without hesitation.. So quality shotguns for practical uses can be found for very reasonable prices if one keeps an eye out for them..

Last edited:
My buddy had a 10/22 and I loved it so I got one for my son, I guess I got a lemon cause every so many shots the mag retainer shakes loose and it jams or the mag drops out. So for self defense, I'm going with a two-handed greatsword, works great for humans, bears and zombies, no replacement parts or ammo needed.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back