Why I can't wait to get home

While it is easy to acknowledge the sacrifice our soldiers make, it is also easy to forget the sacrifice every single family member of the soldier makes as well. Thank you to all of you, come back safe!

Great family, thanks again for your service,and thanks to your family for their sacrifices of not having you around right now.

Great photos! That one of your son heading to Afghanistan is absolutely priceless.

Prayers for your safe return to your family...

You're a lucky man....My wife had another guy living in my house when I got home from Iraq...lol

That sucks Cush. Unfortunately, there are to way many stories like that. I know a guy who was deployed and saw a picture of his wife at a Valentines "Sweet heart" event that the USO was having on post. It was a pic of his wife and her boyfriend right there on their web site. Ridiculous!
I am very fortunate to not have any infidelity issues for either one of us. This war has ruined many of families. It take a special kind of strong woman to handle the pressures and still not take it out on the husband. I'm lucky indeed.

Dam algeries.........my o my. Praying for you Ray, and for your family - for your safe return and for you to get into those hands that are praying for you!!!!! God bless you man!

Yep. .I didn't even know I had allergies!! Great post! Should make everyone hug their kids a little tighter tonight. Great job and great family Ray.

You've gotta be pretty darn proud - as we are of your service.

What are your plans when you return? Another tour or private sector or gov't?
God bless, Ray! Stay safe.

You've gotta be pretty darn proud - as we are of your service.

What are your plans when you return? Another tour or private sector or gov't?
God bless, Ray! Stay safe.

I have 4 years left come this May. I should be getting a new assignment any time now. Of these last 4 years at Ft. Carson (Colorado Springs), two of the hunting seasons I was deployed for. It sucks when you are in a great hunting state but can't hardly hunt it. I hope that wherever I go has good hunting as I usually only hunt in whatever state I live (resident fee) in. Out of state tags are too steep for my blood. Also, with as much as I'm gone, it's hard to take even more time away from the family. So I just stay local and do what I can.

After the Army, who knows. My wife seems to think that I'm gonna have a hard time doing anything boring (not dangerous or exciting). I love the outdoors and hunting though. Maybe if I could find something along those lines, I could handle slowing down a little bit.

Wherever I go, I hope that it doesn't take me back to this place a 5th time. It's weird though. After about 6 months here, I can't wait to get out of here and get back home. Once I'm home for about a year, I have this sick desire/need to come back. I don't understand it.

The only part that I really related to in the movie "The Hurt Locker" (which most EOD techs hate) was the scene at the end. The guy is going through the grocery store with his wife and she is talking about what kind/brand of condiments they should buy. He's thinking, I couldn't care less what kind we buy…..that stuff doesn't matter and he is thinking back about things that he did and saw while he was on deployment. After 12 years of war, I don't know how I will adjust back to normal life that doesn't involve training for or going to war. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

4 deployments - wow. I can't imagine. Can't say it enough - THANK YOU. I can see how being a warrior becomes ingrained into you - its what you do, ya know. Surely there will be challenges for you in returning to civilian life after you get out, but knowing you just the little bit we do, I am confident you will fare well and find your place. Know that all here support and wish you the very best in finding something to do when you get out. Just keep your head down and get there!

Along those lines - if a Police Bomb / Arson job might be something that would be of interest when the time comes - might be able to help just a little. Check your email.

Need to rent Hurt Locker and watch it again.

Awesome post - thanks for sharing!
Thank you for your service.
May God bless you and your family.

Need to rent Hurt Locker and watch it again.

I don't want to steal Ray's thunder here, but if you want to watch a good movie on the war in AFG, check out "Restrepo", it is on Netflix. It is a documentary on the Korengal Valley made by Sebastian Younger and Tim Atherton (who was killed documenting the war in Libya). There is also a book about the same Soldiers called "War" by Sebastian Younger.

I think Ray would agree this would give you a better idea of what fighting in AFG is like.

Thanks for sharing a personal side and what a great family you have. As many before me have said, stay safe and thanks for your service.

I don't want to steal Ray's thunder here, but if you want to watch a good movie on the war in AFG, check out "Restrepo", it is on Netflix. It is a documentary on the Korengal Valley made by Sebastian Younger and Tim Atherton (who was killed documenting the war in Libya). There is also a book about the same Soldiers called "War" by Sebastian Younger.

I think Ray would agree this would give you a better idea of what fighting in AFG is like.

Totally agree.
Like I said, most EOD techs don't like the Hurt Locker movie. I could relate to some of it but Hollywood ruined it like they do a lot of things. If you mention the movie in EOD school, you are in for a bad day. Way too much hollywood. I've never put on a hoodie and went into locals houses alone at night. LOL
An SF guy said to me: "Oh you're EOD, is it like the movie Hurt Locker?" I said, "well you're SF, is it like the movie Tropic Thunder?" To which he replied……"Touché" I wasn't quick enough to come up with this the first time that was said, but I was ready the second time. :hump:

An SF guy said to me: "Oh you're EOD, is it like the movie Hurt Locker?" I said, "well you're SF, is it like the movie Tropic Thunder?" To which he replied……"Touché" I wasn't quick enough to come up with this the first time that was said, but I was ready the second time. :hump:

Then you should have asked him where you could buy one of those pretty green hats. :D

Ray, it sounds like you have your priorities in line.

I have to wonder, for the guys that are "hunting Terrorists" over there, is coming home to do a backcountry hunt just a "Postman's Holiday"? If not, what makes hunting enjoyable?

I would expect turning down the Hyper Vigilance would be the toughest part of re-acclimating to civilian life.

I have to wonder, for the guys that are "hunting Terrorists" over there, is coming home to do a backcountry hunt just a "Postman's Holiday"? If not, what makes hunting enjoyable?

I would expect turning down the Hyper Vigilance would be the toughest part of re-acclimating to civilian life.

Without getting to far off of the topic of Ray's awesome family.

A human enemy is far different than prey. I don't think you can compare the two, while some of the skills transfer, at least in my mind they don't compare. There is alot of dark comedy that surrounds combat. Most of it is borne from the guys that go do it trying to cope with an experience that is terrifying, but so pumped full of adrenalin that it becomes addictive. My wife sees it in me too.

Despite years of experience on "the two-way range" (excuse my added morose quip), I still find solitude walking the hills.

The second part is a challenge.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back