NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Why I can't wait to get home

Thanks you and your family for the sacrifices all have you have made in keeping our country free. Wishing you a safe return to a beautiful family.

Ray, it sounds like you have your priorities in line.

I have to wonder, for the guys that are "hunting Terrorists" over there, is coming home to do a backcountry hunt just a "Postman's Holiday"? If not, what makes hunting enjoyable?

I would expect turning down the Hyper Vigilance would be the toughest part of re-acclimating to civilian life.

After nearly dying in Iraq and having friends of mine die in the process, I find my sense of 'God' in the woods. The war is constantly in my mind, no matter how hard I try to bury the thoughts. The peace and solitude of the mountains or prairies bring me a sense of peace I can't find anywhere else. When I'm able to hunt with friends, it makes it better sometimes since having someone to talk to takes my mind off of it all.

Awesome pics Ray, good looking family! Hurry home and keep your head down over there.

Out of state tags are too steep for my blood

I am not sure how many states do this but here in Illinois if you are in the Military they allow you to buy tags as a resident. Hunted public land here and met a guy in the Army. We hunted together a couple times and he is from down south but comes here when he can for whitetail.

Check some of the states your interested in as I hear there are others that do this also.

I echo Minnesota and Cush's comments. Hunting back home and hunting here couldn't be any more different. When I'm back home, I'm not hunting for blood, I'm reconnecting with nature and finding peace. Hunting here is the polar opposite. Though it's scary, exciting and stressful, all at the same time, it's definitely not peaceful. My mind is in a completely different place when I'm hunting in the states.

Don, I knew that you could hunt as a resident if you were stationed in that state. I was not aware of any states that would allow you to hunt as a resident if you weren't stationed there. I will definitely have to look into that further. Thanks for the heads up. As a native Texan and veteran, I get the "super combo pack hunting/fishing license" for free every year but there's not much public land. There is some and I've been looking into that. Gonna have to see what other states out there offer military residence fees.

I am not sure how many states do this but here in Illinois if you are in the Military they allow you to buy tags as a resident. Hunted public land here and met a guy in the Army. We hunted together a couple times and he is from down south but comes here when he can for whitetail.

Check some of the states your interested in as I hear there are others that do this also.

Don this is a quote from the Illinois DNR website:Effective April 1, 2012, the Illinois Fish and Aquatic Life Code, and the Illinois Wildlife Code were amended to set the fees for fishing licenses, sportsmen's combination licenses, and hunting licenses for resident veterans (after returning from service abroad or mobilization by the President) at one-half the license fee for residents. In addition, the law requires veterans to provide verification of their service, and authorizes the Department of Natural Resources to establish what constitutes suitable verification of service for the purpose of issuing these licenses to resident veterans at a reduced fee.

It says this if for "resident veterans", which is the case for most states. I don't know that it applies to non-resident veterans.

Very well put John,
Knowing that death is not something we talk about with most folk. Couple of times in camp after somebody is about at their limit of some things may come out, but we all know that it is our *safe place* and if tears are shed so be it and all conversation stays their unless somebody REALLY has need of help. Just good to have guys that have been *there* to talk with in safety as we have a varied group, LEO, Nam Vets, a guy on *the bench*, plus a couple who you wonder how they can hold on to life with what they have been given. Just 10 days of solitude and guy stuff every October for a re-charge and reflection..

After nearly dying in Iraq and having friends of mine die in the process, I find my sense of 'God' in the woods. The war is constantly in my mind, no matter how hard I try to bury the thoughts. The peace and solitude of the mountains or prairies bring me a sense of peace I can't find anywhere else. When I'm able to hunt with friends, it makes it better sometimes since having someone to talk to takes my mind off of it all.

A great tribute and a reminder of the sacrifices made by so many families. For you and them, I am truly thankful and grateful. Stay safe and return home soon.

Ray, I will reach out to him to see what he says. He lived in Florida, and last time we hunted together was in 2011 or 12 so I will see if things changed.

Ray,

Here is what I found. Page 10 of the Illinois hunting regulation under the definition of a "Resident" the very last paragraph states this:

Except for the purposes of obtaining a Lifetime License, any person on active duty in the Armed Forces shall be considered a resident of Illinois during his or her period of military duty.

What your seeing about the resident veteran is the reduced price of tags and fees.

Praying for you and your wonderful family. I owe my life to EOD, they saved our butts on several occasions. Thanks for doing what you do brother! Cold beers are waiting for you in Montana should you ever find yourself up here.

Ray,

Here is what I found. Page 10 of the Illinois hunting regulation under the definition of a "Resident" the very last paragraph states this:

Except for the purposes of obtaining a Lifetime License, any person on active duty in the Armed Forces shall be considered a resident of Illinois during his or her period of military duty.

What your seeing about the resident veteran is the reduced price of tags and fees.

Well shoot. That's interesting Don. Thanks for letting me know. That may open up some more hunting opportunities for me.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbonser94
Back