Who's ready to ski!

Hey Ben, How many $ are in your gun safe? How many fishin' rods you got? Was the mud spinning free?

About $85,000. I didn't buy most of them. My father died, and I inherited them. Of the guns that I've personally purchased, it's likely under $15K for what I've actually purchased, as I used guns as a kind of savings account - sell 'em when you need cash, buy 'em when you are flush.

Fishing rods - right now, far fewer than there used to be, but as I've been at it for over 50 years, I have 7 flyrods, some as old as the 90's. Some as new as the early 2010's. Casting & Spinning rods - 3 casting & 3 spinning. None were over $100-$150 though. Reels have been used. I once lost about $5K of fly-fishing gear though. I worked weekends at a fly shop in Casper, WY in the 90's and was paid in Galvan reels. Man I miss those things. They stole my Winston BIIX 5wt, which was the only rod I ever paid retail for. Have had the same pair of waders since 2007 but I did just buy new wading boots, to replace the ones that are 10 years old and cracking.

The clay I'm using right now is about 20 years old. It was bone dry, so I have to reconstitute it and process it so it can be used again. I've been lucky enough to be invited to pick a couple studios which has resulted in about a (literal) ton of clay, and a significant amount of materials. But that's also part of our retirement plan, as are the investments we're making to the property relative to soil and irrigation, greenhouses, etc. It's about $200 to get a kiln load fired between electricity, clay and glazing. I can usually make that back within a day or two if I put up a sale though. So largely, that is revenue neutral to revenue generating. The cost of the studio was significant. Sounds like it's about what a family of 5 pays for a season of skiing. ;)

About $85,000. I didn't buy most of them. My father died, and I inherited them. Of the guns that I've personally purchased, it's likely under $15K for what I've actually purchased, as I used guns as a kind of savings account - sell 'em when you need cash, buy 'em when you are flush.

Fishing rods - right now, far fewer than there used to be, but as I've been at it for over 50 years, I have 7 flyrods, some as old as the 90's. Some as new as the early 2010's. Casting & Spinning rods - 3 casting & 3 spinning. None were over $100-$150 though. Reels have been used. I once lost about $5K of fly-fishing gear though. I worked weekends at a fly shop in Casper, WY in the 90's and was paid in Galvan reels. Man I miss those things. They stole my Winston BIIX 5wt, which was the only rod I ever paid retail for. Have had the same pair of waders since 2007 but I did just buy new wading boots, to replace the ones that are 10 years old and cracking.

The clay I'm using right now is about 20 years old. It was bone dry, so I have to reconstitute it and process it so it can be used again. I've been lucky enough to be invited to pick a couple studios which has resulted in about a (literal) ton of clay, and a significant amount of materials. But that's also part of our retirement plan, as are the investments we're making to the property relative to soil and irrigation, greenhouses, etc. It's about $200 to get a kiln load fired between electricity, clay and glazing. I can usually make that back within a day or two if I put up a sale though. So largely, that is revenue neutral to revenue generating. The cost of the studio was significant. Sounds like it's about what a family of 5 pays for a season of skiing. ;)
it was a rhetorical question...

We're Americans; we have more disposable income than most humans have income. Whether we spend it skiing with our families, owning a boat, or buying used swaro's.

Back