Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunting off Skis - Digging out a Troll

FREAK

Anyone ever try backcountry skis/skins to get into an elk spot? Feels weird, I’m sure the horse guys will get a kick out of it. Got a spot that is 3 miles of trudging through snow on a closed road, sucks to hike with deep snow. Thinking about hauling in my pack, boots, and gun on the chariot and having a way to haul something out in the event I find an old mtn warrior. Been a tough season, probably loosing my mind a bit. Wanted to see what the HT crowd thought? IMG_0080.jpegIMG_0078.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone ever try backcountry skis/skins to get into an elk spot? Feels weird, I’m sure the horse guys will get a kick out of it. Got a spot that is 3 miles of trudging through snow on a closed road, sucks to hike with deep snow. Thinking about hauling in my pack, boots, and gun on the chariot and having a way to haul something out in the event I find an old mtn warrior. Been a tough season, probably loosing my mind a bit. Wanted to see what the HT crowd thought? View attachment 299880View attachment 299878
My gut reaction is that someone’s wife is not going to be too happy if someone were to get blood on that sled…

Yes, you need to do it. It's an under-rated approach.

Packing out can have a learning curve. Toddlers don't weigh as much as what you could put in the sled - and can be tricky to control on the down-hill. You'll figure it all out though. It is way less work than not skinning in.

My gut reaction is that someone’s wife is not going to be too happy if someone were to get blood on that sled…
Good point, I got chewed out last year pretty good when I hauled some cows out on the kids sled and forgot to wash them off before the blood dried out. I’ll make sure and put a tarp down for the chariot. IMG_3767.jpeg

The big thing for the chariot is that there is a hard connection between the sled/load and the skier (like on a pulk).

If the load is pushing - it needs to push on you (and a rope doesn't fit the bill here). I've used the kiddie sleds - but only when I am on foot and can let go/get out of the way. If you have ski's on - then it has got to be a pole connection like your chariot.

Another question, do you think alpine with skins would pull easier or xcountry skis? Never really pulled anything with the alpine, have done a few cabins with sleds on the xcountry. The 3 miles is a pretty straightforward closed logging road.

Do it! And post your pictures back here.

I have not had the opportunity to use my BC touring gear for elk. But have thought about it and discussed with a buddy of mine...

As for cross country skis: I have pulled heavy loads in pulk sleds (multiple marine batteries, other equipment) behind a typical 70cm wide "backcountry" nordic ski with a NNN BC boot/binding. It's fine if things are flat and you have some kind of trail to follow. No fun when snow is deep and you have to pull it against gravity. Breaking trail can be laborious.

If you're climbing up at all, I'd opt for touring gear with full length skins. I think it'll be less work. And you'd be way more solid on any downhill sections. My $0.02

I never used skis. Many hundreds of miles on snowshoes over the years, including a couple late season hunts in Utah.

Reactions: Guy
I've hunted on skies before in Wyoming. We didn't shoot anything but it was definitely the way to go. It was December and most of the elk were on the feedground and we had to navigate a private ranch, so we made a big loop around the ranch and tried to catch elk coming on and off the feedground. We could've shot bulls, but the cows (which we had tags for) were locked down on the feedground. Its a cool way to hunt.

I dragged a cow out on a sled last year. The rigid stays of the chariot may help but it is probably situational as to which method is better. I say do it and give us a report back!

Love it! I'd suggest putting fatter skis on that chariot. if the snow is heavy at all, I suspect with a full load it will just sink in the snow and create some significant drag.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back