Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunting off Skis - Digging out a Troll

One of my buddies and I have suggested this a few times for some of our more snowed in spots. Very viable if you have a decent setup for skinning up the mountain. Snow shoes freakin suck. Plus if your a strong skier and can control the extra weight and load going down hill this can be a nice quick pack out down the mountain. and going up hill wont be to bad since the load would slide across the snow. Its still gonna suck, but not quite as bad. Going downhill with a load is arguably way more sketchy when walking.

I dont suggest a cross country setup as you are going to want to be really strapped in when going down the hill with that much weight. You will need the stopping power with the alpine setup.

PIZZA!!!!!!!

Did you choose the long or short version of that ski?
I am pretty sure, but not positive, that mine are the shorter 125cm version. My brother got a pair and said how nice they were, so I got myself a pair for a wolf hunt (unsuccessful). That was a few years ago and I left them at my mom’s in Idaho. I just haven’t made it back for another winter hunt.

Last week REI had towable orange snow cargo sleds on sale. They got ok reviews

A great idea if one has the gear and the physical ability to do it! We hauled all our squad gear on an ahkio years ago with some lousy cross country gear! It got the job done and a GP small arctic is not light!

2020 and 2022, both years I had already shot dinks and had to just take pictures. Been holding out this year hoping to find another mossback legend. Expectation are low, ambition is high. I’ll keep ya’ll posted if it works out. I’m going to make a trip back with the ski setup and see how it goes.
IMG_0083.pngIMG_0081.png

Last edited:
Altai Hok skis, or something similar with a universal binding that accommodates hunting boots, would be the ticket here. That way, you don’t need two pairs of boots. They work great on snow covered roads.
this!^^^^ I got a pair of the black diamond ski shoes and love them for mid winter hunting. Get the longer ones. Being able to use them with your hunting boots are key. The black diamond skis are much lighter than the Altai Hok skis. I’ve brought them elk hunting but never had enough snow to need them yet.

Well the weathers been unseasonably warm and the trail was clear and dry. Ended up just hiking it.

I was blessed with a nice bull, my biggest to date. My buddy and I left the house at 4:30am and started hiking in a good 1:15 before daylight. Ended up putting in 13 miles with 4K vert all said and done. We did a big loop and we’re on the way back to rig when I caught some tan working down a timbered west slope. To get a better vantage we climbed the opposing ridge and got on this rock perch overlooking the the timber he was working through. We thought for a sec he had worked into the thick stuff but we eventually picked him back up. He stepped into an opening at 360yards and the rest is history. Feel super blessed, had my best friend and hunting partner with me for the experience. He died 200 yards above a trail.
IMG_0142.jpegIMG_0138.jpeg

Last edited:
Well done on a nice bull!
Ive hunted a bit off a pair of old 160ishcm skis, with Silvretta 500 bindings which will take any boot with a front welt, La Sportiva Nepalis in my case.
Im torn in ideal terrain they're awesome, commuting in and out of areas with a good trail/closed road like your talking. In downfall they're horrendous. Skiing down hill in soft boots with a pack/rifle is downright terrifying and probably a terrific way to blow out a knee.

I haven't taken them out recently but I always think about them as im trudging along.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back