Who needs ratchet straps?

When I used to travel for work I was always amazed at some of the things I would see - there was once a uhaul pulling a uhaul trailer that had a car loaded and I was unable to locate any straps holding the car down... I made sure to stay a head of them.

My brother works at a rental company and has told me stories about customer not securing equipment, one of those were about a customer that did not have chains or straps for the skid steer he was renting so they went inside to loan him a set and when they returned he was gone...

When I was 16 and stupid my friends and I would race to school on I-70.

The Prius has a governor set at 112mph, without it you’d be able to do 120-130 easy.

My mom ditched ours in the river after it accelerated uncontrollably 4 years before I started hunting.

There was a similar case here in Minnesota involving another Toyota model that ended up killing some people. They eventually figured out why it was happening exclusively to Toyota's and it's so crazy that you'd never believe it from some random jerk off on a message board and I'm too stupid to explain it properly, so I'll just link you to the podcast I heard the story on with a short synapses; A component in Toyota's computer controlled throttle was being hit just right by some cosmic ray, flipping the bit from 0 to 1 and causing the vehicle to accelerate without control. The car in this story was a Prius.

Skip to 39:50 for the specific segment, but the whole episode is pretty interesting.

There was a similar case here in Minnesota involving another Toyota model that ended up killing some people. They eventually figured out why it was happening exclusively to Toyota's and it's so crazy that you'd never believe it from some random jerk off on a message board and I'm too stupid to explain it properly, so I'll just link you to the podcast I heard the story on with a short synapses; A component in Toyota's computer controlled throttle was being hit just right by some cosmic ray, flipping the bit from 0 to 1 and causing the vehicle to accelerate without control. The car in this story was a Prius.

Skip to 39:50 for the specific segment, but the whole episode is pretty interesting.

I listened to that podcast back when it came out, honestly at this point I'm more surprised by people who don't believe this... I'm like have you used a computer?

Co-worker borrowed boat and trailer from other co-worker. While rolling down the interstate, he looks to his left to see the boat attempting to pass him.

My buddy's dad did the same thing when we were in high school! He was hooking up their new ski boat really early in the morning to fill up the gas tanks on the truck and boat before heading out, and in the morning grogginess he forgot to secure his hitch pin. When he stopped for a red light in town he looked to his right and saw the boat pass him through the intersection and keep rolling down the road for another couple hundred yards until it stopped on the median grass. It didn't hit a thing and nobody else was around to see it :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
That's quite a brush.
I usually reserve judgement until I see them try to back up a trailer. But the bungee straps are your first clue. 'A' for effort tho.
Speaking of casual sportsmen. I lost count of the numbr of boat trailers on interstate 90, between billings and bozo, on the side
of the road sitting on their axel with either flat tire or flat bearings over the 4th weekend.

Now that's funny! Growing up on a farm, baling twine was the cure all for anything that needed secured, fastened, or just wrapped fifty times to add strength and rigidity.
Especially when you have the big 5 strand bales around!! That stuff is better than muletape!

I cuss every time I have to go behind my old man and replace his frayed baling twine attached in multiple sections with some good nylon trot line string.

Know how I know you're a good southern gent....you didn't use 'trout' line.

Speaking of casual sportsmen. I lost count of the numbr of boat trailers on interstate 90, between billings and bozo, on the side
of the road sitting on their axel with either flat tire or flat bearings over the 4th weekend.
Or those who just bought a boat without checking out the trailer. Buddy of mine bought a new (must have been on the lot a while) boat in North Carolina. On his drive from Bragg to meet up with us at Polson, MT he blew 3 out of 4 trailer tires.

That whole ordeal didn't get better for him on this trip. Got the boat on the water, wouldn't plane. Pulled the boat back onto the trailer and I could spin the prop freely both directions and it slacked in and out He took it to a shop, dealership had put a new prop on and didn't replace some hardware. Few days later go for round 2 on Flathead, still won't plane. Told him he didn't have the right prop for his boat (only figured this out because my dad made this mistake on a boat we had when I was little). Sure as chit, dealer had upsold him that prop and it wasn't correct for his boat. He was fuming and about ready to trade it for a Lund on the lot there in MT.

I usually reserve judgement until I see them try to back up a trailer. But the bungee straps are your first clue. 'A' for effort tho.
Saw the same thing here on Memorial Day. I was on the interstate for 16 miles and saw 5 trucks pulling boats off the side of the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back