Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Who here knows Remington 700s?

My money says Ramline. Bought one over 25 years ago. Even crappier than the factory Remington. mtmuley
Ramline was my initial guess also. I’m pretty sure my buddies dad has the exact same stock and yes it is a POS.

I see nothing unusual about the stock. Looks like a standard, older synthetic factory stock to me. But that barrel sure does look not-factory. Kind of hard to tell w/o a full pic of the barrel. I'm going to sneak out on a limb here and say it kind of looks like taperless barrel - tapers abruptly from the shank and is the same diameter down to the muzzle.

You never know, might really be a shooter. Give it a try before you decide to completely cannibalize it.

Ramline was my initial guess also. I’m pretty sure my buddies dad has the exact same stock and yes it is a POS.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’ve been searching on and off for a couple hours and can’t find a Ram Line with a monte carlo cheek piece like that either.

I see nothing unusual about the stock. Looks like a standard, older synthetic factory stock to me. But that barrel sure does look not-factory. Kind of hard to tell w/o a full pic of the barrel. I'm going to sneak out on a limb here and say it kind of looks like taperless barrel - tapers abruptly from the shank and is the same diameter down to the muzzle.

You never know, might really be a shooter. Give it a try before you decide to completely cannibalize it.
I’ll obviously shoot it while I have that barrel. I have a bunch if 270 primed brass from a couple years ago that I’m too stubborn to sell and it’d be a great time to use it up. That being said, I’d probably end up changing it even if it shoots like a dream. I’m an incurable tinkerer

My #4 and Light and Medium Palmas both look at lot like that. They technically taper after the the shank but it isn’t a lot. I was originally think it was a #3 or #4, but after looking at a Light Palma that might be as heavy as a #5.

As for maker, its most likely Adam’s and Bennet, Shilen, or Douglas. Most people don’t spend the money for the more expensive brands without going to stainless.

Yes I would be VERY tempted to shoot some handloaded ammo through it before taking it apart. If the gunsmith was any good and the barrel isn’t worn out or corroded it probably shoots really well. I’d inspect the bedding right out the gate and possibly re-bed if it appeared suspect.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’ve been searching on and off for a couple hours and can’t find a Ram Line with a monte carlo cheek piece like that either.
Once in hand a few pics would help especially the recoil pad and under the barrel channel. Either way hope you got a good deal on it. No real way to tell what barrel brand it is though. The barrel pics make it look like a #4 or so. A quick measurement of the muzzle will tell a lot also.

Once in hand a few pics would help especially the recoil pad and under the barrel channel. Either way hope you got a good deal on it. No real way to tell what barrel brand it is though. The barrel pics make it look like a #4 or so. A quick measurement of the muzzle will tell a lot also.
Whenever I take pics of my Tikka’s barrel, it looks like a #5 when it’s really just a 2b. I’ll post pics and measurements I take whenever it gets here for sure.

My #4 and Light and Medium Palmas both look at lot like that. They technically taper after the the shank but it isn’t a lot. I was originally think it was a #3 or #4, but after looking at a Light Palma that might be as heavy as a #5.

As for maker, its most likely Adam’s and Bennet, Shilen, or Douglas. Most people don’t spend the money for the more expensive brands without going to stainless.

Yes I would be VERY tempted to shoot some handloaded ammo through it before taking it apart. If the gunsmith was any good and the barrel isn’t worn out or corroded it probably shoots really well. I’d inspect the bedding right out the gate and possibly re-bed if it appeared suspect.
I wish I knew the history of it, but it’s pretty obvious that the shop selling it didn’t even know it was customized. They listed it like it was just a used sps.

If
Howd'y everyone.

Getting to the chase, I bought a used gun on GB last week. I'm waiting for the arrival. From pictures, I can already tell that the barrel is a replacement because Remington never used contours like that (unless I'm wrong). I'm going to change the barrel eventually, regardless. Don't care much for 270 Win. I bought it because of the lefty 700 action.

I also don't recognize the stock, and I can't find one like it anywhere in my research. I suppose it could be something completely factory, but I honestly don't know. It has basket weave checkering, which I don't think McMillan uses/used (again, could be wrong). However, I don't know a whole lot about aftermarket stocks for 700s.

I could wait and examine it when it gets here, but that'll be next week and I'm impatient.

Here's my question:
Can someone who knows the stock making industry or Remington tell me what I'm maybe looking at?

Thanks
Remington built the barrel, it will say Remington on it and likely, Ilion, NY as well as the caliber, all neatly marked. I can't tell from the photo, but is there a floorplate on the bottom? If yes, then its not an ADL model. BDL's had hinged floorplates, ADL models were blind magazine wells (have to cycle each round with bolt to empty the rifle).

Does the safety lock the bolt? Older ones did. A recall (and lawyers) years back made newer models so that you could cycle the bolt with the safety engaged (to protect those that couldn't keep fat fingers off the trigger and for nimrods that adjusted the trigger sear incorrectly that resulted in a dangerous gun at different temperatures).

I agree that the stock may be a Ramline aftermarket deal, but Rem has used many different stocks on the 700 over the years. After all, its the best selling bolt action rifle in history with like 7 million out there! :)

Whenever I take pics of my Tikka’s barrel, it looks like a #5 when it’s really just a 2b. I’ll post pics and measurements I take whenever it gets here for sure.
Dark color and fluting will both make a barrel look thicker than it is. Same for antlers. Light colored antlers have more mass than they appear to, but dark colored antlers look better on the wall.

I agree on the tip of the forend, but everything else on that stock looks identical to the one I had.

Guys, I believe that stock is a McMillan BDL.
If is McMillian recoil pad have McMillian name. I comparted my black McMillan to picture and checking is not the
same. They could of changed checking but not name on recoil pad.

I pull up McMilin site and checking on this rifle same mine.

Last edited:
Guys, I believe that stock is a McMillan BDL.
Wouldn’t that be a nice surprise? Lol

It’s hard to tell from the pictures the sellers posted, but I thought it had the same lines as a couple McMillans too. I guess we’ll find out on Tuesday when I receive it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back