Caribou Gear Tarp

Who here knows Remington 700s?

nhenry

Howd'y everyone.

Getting to the chase, I bought a used gun on GB last week. I'm waiting for the arrival. From pictures, I can already tell that the barrel is a replacement because Remington never used contours like that (unless I'm wrong). I'm going to change the barrel eventually, regardless. Don't care much for 270 Win. I bought it because of the lefty 700 action.

I also don't recognize the stock, and I can't find one like it anywhere in my research. I suppose it could be something completely factory, but I honestly don't know. It has basket weave checkering, which I don't think McMillan uses/used (again, could be wrong). However, I don't know a whole lot about aftermarket stocks for 700s.

I could wait and examine it when it gets here, but that'll be next week and I'm impatient.

Here's my question:
Can someone who knows the stock making industry or Remington tell me what I'm maybe looking at?

Thanks

Attachments

• pix922715310.jpg
    pix922715310.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 156
  • pix505172156.jpg
    pix505172156.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 157
Not sure on the stock. Barrel looks like a #3 or #4. Could be just about any custom maker. I could be off on the contour. It’s not a factory Remington contour. They did ship out other contours through the custom shop though.

It looks like the same stock on my rem 17 fireball mine is a 700 sps its about 10 or 12 yrs old I think
they had a synthetic stock option back then
Barrel looks abt the same also cant be sure from the pic tho

I've seen a stock like that before. Though I'm not 100%. That really looks like one of those el cheapo stocks that you'd see in box stores and small sporting goods stores where the stocks are in plastic blisterpacks for $80.
You're probably spot on on that. I don't know why they'd replace a barrel and then skimp on the stock though, but that's just my way of thinking

Here are closer pics

Attachments

• pix412244359.jpg
    pix412244359.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 99
  • pix974650612.jpg
    pix974650612.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 99
Definitely a custom barrel of some kind. The shank is a dead giveaway.
The stock could be one of the older Remington stocks. I think Ramline or Houge used to make a stock like that also.

Definitely a custom barrel of some kind. The shank is a dead giveaway.
The stock could be one of the older Remington stocks. I think Ramline or Houge used to make a stock like that also.
I thought the shank looked a little too shank-y

Don’t know anything about the barrel. My dads late 90s 700 ADL had the same stock.
ADLs typically have the blind mag and straight comb. This has the floorplate and monte carlo cheekpiece. Not saying you’re wrong though. I don’t know much about the pre-2000 remies though

After looking at the pics again I’d say that is most likely an aftermarket stock. The Monte Carlo style cheek piece I’ve never seen on a factory Rem700 stock like that.

Back