Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

who carries a chainsaw?

I sometimes carry a saw, mostly for fire wood. But I too always have a good sharp axe. Cutting a 20 in. log with an axe is a lot of work but it beats the all day hike just to get to a spot with cell service. And that's only good if I remembered my phone.

I was glad I had a chainsaw a few weeks ago. Our area was hit with a microburst and it took almost 5 hours to cut our way into camp. I never go anywhere that has trees without one.0B521329-A0A7-419C-A0A1-EB3FB187AC88.jpeg

We got caught up in the blizzard that smacked N. Colorado 9-7/8. Camped at 10,200 and you weren’t getting out or in without a chainsaw. 60 mph winds dropped trees all over the road and woods.
A2A4DC04-290B-43EC-9DE5-8C6722C8B887.jpeg

I usually have one, but end up using my silky saw quite a bit for small stuff. Last Nov was going up a road by a burn area and caught up to another hunter who was trying to clear some small trees/branches and we helped each other out. Until we got to a large hemlock tree + rootball covering the road that I would not have been able to get through with my small stihl chainsaw even if I had it with.

This all depends on conditions. If I am where there is a ton of downfall closing roads, I will load a chain saw on the truck or ATV. Most of the time I keep one at camp.

With all the Pine Beetle killed trees here in Montana you better have a saw, I started using a Dewalt battery powered 16 inch bar perfect for taking along inside my jeep, no worries about gas smell and such.

I don't always carry a chainsaw as I think it's overkill for some of the places I go, but I do always carry a 24" hand saw and a sharp axe...
This. Not much I can't take care of - given enough time - with a sharp axe. And it's about 1000 times less likely to be stolen than a chainsaw.

That's my biggest reason not to carry a chainsaw. Because I am tired of hiding them in the woods around my camp to keep them from walking off.

As a boy, my Father and I had to cut the years supply of firewood for heating and cooking stoves supplying three families, ours, my grandparents, and a couple of old sour doughs living across the meadow. This involved each Spring dropping four pine tree at least three feet in diameter, then limbing , butting and splitting Them. We used a two man cross cut saw, falling wedges, splitting wedges, mauls and double bitted axes. We let the split wood cure all summer, hauling it out in the Fall in a big,old spring wagon pulled by a dutiful team of horses When i was sixteen Dad bought a second hand old truck and a spanking new Craftsman, Sears & Roebuck chainsaw. I miss the old mares, Star and Bell, but that chainsaw made me think i had died and gone to Heaven. Kindest Regards

Last edited:
The Stihl goes with me anytime I am heading into the woods and high country here in CO. Firewood for camp and usually at least a couple of big blow down aspens along the way.

Not to hijack this thread but how are you getting those moose loaded whole? Dang..

Shown in this thread,

I cut 3 miles of trail today. The worst was where 10-15 trees come down in a clump. I call it dominoing. What you clear in front of you is falling behind you. It sucks when you have to have a saw in the pack string so you can go home.

We have adapted with a Stihl 170 that only weighs 8 lbs and can fit on a pack frame with gas and oil that fits over a saddle horn.

In these times, a wind storm on the trail among the standing dead is a terrifying experience.

Stihl 180 is in the truck on most timber hunts.

The axe forged by virgin Swedish Forest nymphs rides all season.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back