who carries a chainsaw?

I sometimes carry a saw, mostly for fire wood. But I too always have a good sharp axe. Cutting a 20 in. log with an axe is a lot of work but it beats the all day hike just to get to a spot with cell service. And that's only good if I remembered my phone.

I was glad I had a chainsaw a few weeks ago. Our area was hit with a microburst and it took almost 5 hours to cut our way into camp. I never go anywhere that has trees without one.0B521329-A0A7-419C-A0A1-EB3FB187AC88.jpeg

We got caught up in the blizzard that smacked N. Colorado 9-7/8. Camped at 10,200 and you weren’t getting out or in without a chainsaw. 60 mph winds dropped trees all over the road and woods.
A2A4DC04-290B-43EC-9DE5-8C6722C8B887.jpeg

I usually have one, but end up using my silky saw quite a bit for small stuff. Last Nov was going up a road by a burn area and caught up to another hunter who was trying to clear some small trees/branches and we helped each other out. Until we got to a large hemlock tree + rootball covering the road that I would not have been able to get through with my small stihl chainsaw even if I had it with.

This all depends on conditions. If I am where there is a ton of downfall closing roads, I will load a chain saw on the truck or ATV. Most of the time I keep one at camp.

With all the Pine Beetle killed trees here in Montana you better have a saw, I started using a Dewalt battery powered 16 inch bar perfect for taking along inside my jeep, no worries about gas smell and such.

I don't always carry a chainsaw as I think it's overkill for some of the places I go, but I do always carry a 24" hand saw and a sharp axe...
This. Not much I can't take care of - given enough time - with a sharp axe. And it's about 1000 times less likely to be stolen than a chainsaw.

That's my biggest reason not to carry a chainsaw. Because I am tired of hiding them in the woods around my camp to keep them from walking off.

As a boy, my Father and I had to cut the years supply of firewood for heating and cooking stoves supplying three families, ours, my grandparents, and a couple of old sour doughs living across the meadow. This involved each Spring dropping four pine tree at least three feet in diameter, then limbing , butting and splitting Them. We used a two man cross cut saw, falling wedges, splitting wedges, mauls and double bitted axes. We let the split wood cure all summer, hauling it out in the Fall in a big,old spring wagon pulled by a dutiful team of horses When i was sixteen Dad bought a second hand old truck and a spanking new Craftsman, Sears & Roebuck chainsaw. I miss the old mares, Star and Bell, but that chainsaw made me think i had died and gone to Heaven. Kindest Regards

Last edited:
The Stihl goes with me anytime I am heading into the woods and high country here in CO. Firewood for camp and usually at least a couple of big blow down aspens along the way.

Not to hijack this thread but how are you getting those moose loaded whole? Dang..

Shown in this thread,

I cut 3 miles of trail today. The worst was where 10-15 trees come down in a clump. I call it dominoing. What you clear in front of you is falling behind you. It sucks when you have to have a saw in the pack string so you can go home.

We have adapted with a Stihl 170 that only weighs 8 lbs and can fit on a pack frame with gas and oil that fits over a saddle horn.

In these times, a wind storm on the trail among the standing dead is a terrifying experience.

Stihl 180 is in the truck on most timber hunts.

The axe forged by virgin Swedish Forest nymphs rides all season.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back