Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Who are the real killers.

Change one part of a system, every other part changes, mostly in unpredictable ways. The hunting grounds in the mountain west evolved over many thousand years between and including glacial periods.. 13000 years ago, humans followed herds of mammoths across Beringia into North America. Within a few thousand years the North American megafauna was extinct, because it had not evolved around human predators armed with clovis points. After their population grew and prey species herds shrank, humans developed agriculture. Then villages, cities, trade, commerce, technology, laws, land ownership, logging, mining, industry, damming. Now the only reason any game remains is because humans maintain it; the animals, plants, water, cover, habitat. And the less we interact w wild places, the lower they fall on our list of priorities.

If this was intended to be educational, the “you people” approach wasn’t overly productive. I’m certainly not sure it was worth 12 minutes of my day.

Simplistic but not completely inaccurate for the northwest forest environment.

KISS....

A twelve minute presentation is not meant to delve into complexities.

The video cuts to the crux, exposing the inaccurate emotional "dogma" espoused by those opposed to aggressive predator control.

I suspect most people don't have a clue just how bad the situation is in BC and Alberta.

He made an pretty good point, but then completely lost me at the end. As I followed, development and extraction made habitat for ungulates marginal. This lead hunting to be much easier for wolves, causing their populations to go up. The chief driver in this, as I understood this guy, was loss of habitat. Then he goes on to blame the anti-hunter, stating they are the driving force. Look I'm no fan of anti-hunting groups, but you really think they were the ones behind and endorsing habitat extraction? I don't think so. Usually they are the ones suing at every little hint of extraction and development. I think the blame here doesn't go to the antihunter (and certainly not the hunter) but to people who really just don't give a shit about the natural world period

He made an pretty good point, but then completely lost me at the end. As I followed, development and extraction made habitat for ungulates marginal. This lead hunting to be much easier for wolves, causing their populations to go up. The chief driver in this, as I understood this guy, was loss of habitat. Then he goes on to blame the anti-hunter, stating they are the driving force. Look I'm no fan of anti-hunting groups, but you really think they were the ones behind and endorsing habitat extraction? I don't think so. Usually they are the ones suing at every little hint of extraction and development. I think the blame here doesn't go to the antihunter (and certainly not the hunter) but to people who really just don't give a shit about the natural world period

Who do you think are responsible for pressuring the BC (and most others) government(s) into removing lethal wolf control as a wildlife management tool?

Either you are ignorant of history or are ignoring it.

Who do you think are responsible for pressuring the BC (and most others) government(s) into removing lethal wolf control as a wildlife management tool?

Either you are ignorant of history or are ignoring it.

Did you watch the video? If it were not for habitat losses in the first place, then there would be no need for lethal predator control. Who are the real killers? The people who were behind changes to the ecosystem. I'm pretty knowledgeable about history. Blaming one species for all the problems that folks blame wolves for is what is ignorant

Did you watch the video? If it were not for habitat losses in the first place, then there would be no need for lethal predator control. Who are the real killers? The people who were behind changes to the ecosystem. I'm pretty knowledgeable about history. Blaming one species for all the problems that folks blame wolves for is what is ignorant

Is it too much for you to answer the question I asked? Please don't ignore it....
Without the Anti-wolf control advocates, the BC government would still be using lethal wolf control as a wildlife management tool.
In other words, Anti-hunters ARE the driving force behind the inability for the government to manage this problem.

If if if… well reality is that there is a huge amount of habitat loss, so there is no place for Ifs...
Yes, human caused habitat alterations effected the predator/prey dynamics. People are to blame, wolves are just doing what wolves do.
This doesn't exclude our responsibility for the effects of our action.
BC hunting stakeholders and anti-hunting organizations have been actively lobbying for decades to reign in the habitat and"road" issue, unsuccessfully.
BC and Canadian laws do not work like in the US. Your concept of SUE, just does not work here.
International demand and foreign ownership of the forests, particularly the volume of forests going to the US market, are greatly responsible for the road and habitat issues.
It's pretty tough to get the US to back down when $ are at stake.
In the short term, significant predator control is a necessary.

Demanding significant lethal wolf control as a measure to prevent local extirpation of ungulate populations until habitat issues can be addressed is the right action.
Having recently watched our southern Caribou herds disappear by predation while anti-hunters cried 'don't kill the wolves", and currently watching ungulate populations province wide crash, it is hard to keep talking softly and being nice to everyone. It is time for tough words and actions.

As noted earlier, it is obvious that some here have no clue just how bad this issue is in BC.

Good video - for 12 minutes.

Humans transformed the setting. I like the pic of the housing development... Shining example though one that will only expand.

I guess I'm part of the problem since I live in the city. Those damn city dwellers.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back